SSS vs BSS ?

• Chippolata
      Chippolata
      Bronze
      I see quite everywhere that BSS is > SSS.

Thought, tbh BSS looks WAYS more difficult to master and to play correctly, so far in my short poker carrier i have been doing quite well with SSS and experience taugh me that as long as something work, you don't need to replace it...

On another hand i feel like SSS is somehow limited and that there is no way you will ever make it to the higher stakes with it.

All in all, I am not sure i will ever be able to play BSS good enough to make it as effective as i can be with SSS.

SSS I think require less adaptative skill and can do pretty well with an overall table feeling.

I would like experienced SSS/BSS players to give their thoughts on it.

Thanks. :f_love:
  • 12 replies
    • andyb43
      andyb43
      Bronze
      BSS is more fun and less robotic, with more post flop play.

You can win more...............or lose more with BSS
    • dandycal
      dandycal
      Bronze
      It is quite possible to play SSS throughout the midstakes, even up to NL1k. But past that you won't really find enough FR tables to play SSS in.

SSS is a simpler strategy, but you cannot play basic SSS (the robotic style) on NL200+, even in NL100 you already need to make many adaptations and learn many sides of post-flop play.

I also don't think it's quite fair to say that BSS makes more $$ than SSS, imo the overall profit for a good player will be quite similar with both strategies. Even though your bb/100 hands might be slightly less with SSS, you'll be able to play many more tables, thus your bb/hour will end up being similar.

So in the end I think it's really up to your style. My personal suggestion is that if you like SSS and if it works for you, then continue with it. When you get to the mid-stakes you can consider studying BSS, it'll help you a lot with your SSS play and it'll give you more possibilities for the future.

best regards!
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      i dont think compairing winrates per limit is the right way of doing it. What i means is you play SSS on NL with $2 now with your bankroll you can play SSS NL10 or BSS NL2. Now 1bb/100 on NL10 = 5bb/100 on NL2. So here for the BI amount you can expect to make similar amounts (Maybe NL2 will be abit more profitable), but playing SSS will let you clear bonus's and earn more rakeback than BSS at NL2 =) . As you move up the limits and BI's become bigger i would expect SSS to be more profitable than BSS in terms of $BI.
    • MaCe90
      MaCe90
      Bronze
      BSS is the true form of poker. The complexity of the game can only be applied if you play full stacked, make moves, bluff, steal, value bet, c-bet , 3 bet and 4bet without having to go all in and put all your skills into play. SSS is good to, if you like robotic grinding, following a certain strategy and if you don't want to approach poker in its full awesomeness, which obviously required more strength, in every area of your game personality.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      So I guess then Gus Hansen is a short stacked fish cause he is often seen playing short stacked vs durrr and regularly having the best of him...
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I'm a short stacker playing NL25. I've been thinking about switching to BSS at NL10 or continue SSS in NL50. What do you guys think of doing both? Some sessions of BSS some of SSS. The BI would be identical as well as BRM. Is this a bad idea? Should I keep just one focus?

Thanks
    • gummybeared
      gummybeared
      Bronze
      learn bss
    • fakedurrr
      fakedurrr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      I'm a short stacker playing NL25. I've been thinking about switching to BSS at NL10 or continue SSS in NL50. What do you guys think of doing both? Some sessions of BSS some of SSS. The BI would be identical as well as BRM. Is this a bad idea? Should I keep just one focus?

Thanks
      I am thinking of this myself, but I started BSS SH (never played BSS FR() and will surely come back to SSS sometimes , I played NL25 SSS as well
    • buhhy
      buhhy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      So I guess then Gus Hansen is a short stacked fish cause he is often seen playing short stacked vs durrr and regularly having the best of him...
      Shortstack play =/= shortstack strategy, HU shortstack play is very different from SSS FR and I doubt Gus buys in for 20 BI routinely.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest

Thanks
      I think you should give BSS a go - I spent a long time playing BSS, about half a million hands up to NL100 then switched back to SSS and found it much easier - SSS works very well if you understand your opponents plays and gain some hand reading skills, learn to find profitable spots for yourself etc, imo this can only be learned properly by learning BSS yourself.
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mishkagg
      and when he choice short stack in HU, it means the opponent is short stack too
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      In my opinion BSS is way more creative and intrensting than SSS. I have played them both at NL25 but i found than BSS for me is better because its really more of thinking and figuring pot odds and everything and BSS is defenetly more of post flop play than pre flop(SSS)!