SSS - Late posistion range and resteal range quirey.

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Ok so no one raises in front of me, it's either folded round or there have been 1 or 2 limpers and im on CO or BU. I look at seen i have QJ or KJ, why carnt i raise and attack either the blinds or the fead money? Surley it would be abit like KQ where if you get raised you fold? Could somone explain why you carnt do this?

Seondly now your on the BB and somone trys to steal You see AJ and it says to go allin, i feel AJ isnt a great hand to re steal with, normally you get called by AQ AK, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA all of which your im bad shape against (with the acception of TT). Or am i missing something?

Also one other thing i noted, ssay you raise JJ in mid posistion and get re-raised, surley the better play is folding? I mean having thought about it, the re raise range is likley: QQ-AA (maybe TT), AK, AQ. 3/5's of this range has you crushed.

Looking forward to some responses soon =)
  • 10 replies
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      QQ-AA (maybe TT), AK, AQ. 3/5's of this range has you crushed.
      Yet you still have 46% equity to win the hand ... Did you even bother to run it before you posted?
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by PocketAcesJohn
      QQ-AA (maybe TT), AK, AQ. 3/5's of this range has you crushed.
      Yet you still have 46% equity to win the hand ... Did you even bother to run it before you posted?
      Yet you still have 46% equity to win the hand ... Did you even bother to run it before you posted?[/quote]Yes i did, thats why i posetd if its you and one other opponent its marginaly -ev surley? You raise say $0.40 get re raise to $1.20 now you have to options shove or fold, the total value of the pot including blinds is $1.75, you shove and get called, asuming you get called before you'll shove youd have his $2 + $0.15 + $0.40 = $2.55 you have $1.60 left in your stack, if you have 46% equity the max you can invest is $1.17 resulting you on average a loss of $0.43 every time you do this...
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      Yeah I think your calculatoins are wrong, you should be getting the correct pot odds to call with JJ even against that range. Not sure of the exact numbers but 46% is close to 50% which means you could call a pot sized bet. Maybe run it again.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Fair enough. How about QJ and KJ? These can surley be played simalary to KQ in late posistion? Why arnt they on the chart?
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Okay I'm going to take a shot at this even though I'm still pretty much a noob.

1- stealing can be done with a wider range than what the SHC indicates if you are using stats and have a read. The SHC is basic strategy and trys to avoid tough decisions. With a very strong read you can steal with any 2 cards.

2- I think the re-steal range is based on the fold equity you have in this situation. The late position raiser can be raising with KQ+,22+ or even worse. AJ is a monster against most players stealing range. If they 4bet you it's an easy fold. Your re-steals only have to be successful some of the time to be profitable.

All this also helps you get action when you have a real hand. You'll also get to see more cheap or free flops. Hope this helps, if any of this is wrong please comment because I'm pretty new to this topic too.
    • tac3znarf
      tac3znarf
      Bronze
      You will need to have some reads and stats to be able to widen your stealing range in late positions and restealing range in blinds.

The way I see it, when you want to steal, your 1st objective is not to reach any showdown so please check in the strategy materials which stats and info are useful for your steal and resteal adjustments. I believe this moves will not work in micro tables but is really effective on NL100 and above. :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tac3znarf
      You will need to have some reads and stats to be able to widen your stealing range in late positions and restealing range in blinds.

The way I see it, when you want to steal, your 1st objective is not to reach any showdown so please check in the strategy materials which stats and info are useful for your steal and resteal adjustments. I believe this moves will not work in micro tables but is really effective on NL100 and above. :)
      And how about at NL50? Would this limit be played more like NL10 + NL25? Or more like NL100?

I'll get on to reading some of the articles over the weekend =)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      Okay I'm going to take a shot at this even though I'm still pretty much a noob.

1- stealing can be done with a wider range than what the SHC indicates if you are using stats and have a read. The SHC is basic strategy and trys to avoid tough decisions. With a very strong read you can steal with any 2 cards.

2- I think the re-steal range is based on the fold equity you have in this situation. The late position raiser can be raising with KQ+,22+ or even worse. AJ is a monster against most players stealing range. If they 4bet you it's an easy fold. Your re-steals only have to be successful some of the time to be profitable.

All this also helps you get action when you have a real hand. You'll also get to see more cheap or free flops. Hope this helps, if any of this is wrong please comment because I'm pretty new to this topic too.
      @ Point #2: Surley though if your re-stealing your directly shoving as if your putting over half your stack in you should shove instead, so theres not a chance for them to 4 bet you ?(

I appreachiate you opinion nother the less =) I'm new to SSS aswell, I was playing BSS but i decided to start learning SSS aswell, I'm fairly solid both SH & FR BSS, i feel by learning and developing a good SSS game aswell i'll have more games to select from. Other than that variation is always nice :D

Gold member withing the next 2 days!!! Wahoo lol.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I'm finding more and more that late position raises are $.75 so my re-steal is $2.25. This is most often less than half my stack. If I have less than my original buy in ($5) I'm more selective and directly push.

Yeah I was a BSS player my first attempt online. I never cleared my first deposit bonus and eventually cashed out my original deposit and played out the remaining few dollars and FPPs. I still play BSS in live games. I really wanted to succeed this time around and decided on SSS. I never heard of it until I joined poker strategy. I thought all the shortys were just weak players with scared money. I found it very difficult to play against them, so I joined them. Going for gold soon huh, I'll be back to silver any day now.

Good luck
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Oh yeah I forgot to mention, Sklansky-Chubukov pushes are also another thing I'm experimenting with since reading the gold articles. So far it's really been working out well for me. I've only done it about a dozen times. I got called once with 44, he had A2o and I doubled up for around $3.75. So I'm up around 1 BI where I would have normally lost all those blinds. I know 12 examples is the same as none but it's working none the less.

Good luck