Dealing with downswings! What do you do in bad sessions?

• mmanchev
      mmanchev
      Bronze
      Hey guys, finally I have decided to post on the forum and unfortunately its not about something nice :)

I was wondering how are you dealing with downswings and I will tell you my short story:

I have started playing poker seriously about an year ago starting with $0 and trying to make my game better. First played freerolls to death until I started winning some. So after one huge freeroll with money prizes I have managed to win $5.

I have put those $5 in full ring NL2 games and playing SSS according to the PS site. Little by little my BR was growing and I was climbing in the limits. Right now I have about $1800 and playing NL25 (6max) games on FullTilt usually 3-4 tables and of course I am not playing SSS for a long time now and buying -in with the maximum stack on the tables.

In the last week I am experiencing terrible downswing and by terrible I don't mean my BR has suffered much. With the Rake Back actually my BR moves a very little bit down, so no big suffer here. However the downswing started with dry dry sessions where I am not able to hit even a TP. Then it evolved and the last two days are terrible in terms of suckouts. Almost 90% of the hands are lost with a suckout. I am dominating the villain he is drawing dead, drawing with a gutshot or even with nothing...but the miracle happens on the magical turn and river.

So my question here is, how do you deal with those times? For example sometimes I am feeling the game is not very good, generally dry but I am with a profit for the session. I keep playing of course till the logical happens - all winnings go to drain and at the end I am losing 2-3 stacks when I was 1-1/2 up. for example the last two days were similar - I was up at the beginning of the session and then slowly losing it. Should I stop there when I see this session is going to suck anyway? Should I continue playing no matter what till I get to my stop loss limit of 3 buy-ins? I am thinking about that in the last days...
  • 22 replies
    • Sasa1234
      Sasa1234
      Bronze
      I dont know what limits do you play but if the game is good keep playing and if it isn't consider not playing at all. Short term winnings are not important
    • mmanchev
      mmanchev
      Bronze
      Thanks Sasa...I play NL25 6 max, but i have written that in my post. Thanks for your post.
    • SalamiandCheese
      SalamiandCheese
      Bronze
      I can only take so much before I go bananas. Sounds like you're experiencing a similar situation as I often get into - you're outplaying them all over the place but it's not enough, they're just getting way too lucky. I try out a different game for a while for fun then come back my normal game, relax and play my A game... repeat until I'm running ok again. Eventually you'll get back on track. Few days ago I was running bad so I played some NL HU sngs - won 10/11. :s_cool: That make be feel better about things and eventually I made a nice little run in my usual game, FL HU sngs.
    • mmanchev
      mmanchev
      Bronze
      Heheheh thanks Cheesy :) Well actually the downswing is over...and it finished with a smashing 5 stack up great day. But yeah the bad days appear several times a month and sometimes and especially in the last 2-3 days of it it really drove me crazy with all those suckouts. Thanks for the advice ;)
    • steIIstuI
      steIIstuI
      Bronze
      9 tabling SnG session this evening and I was running so good and making all the right decisions. it comes to 4 handed (bubble) and i lost 4 of them with 70/30 3 with 80/20. I almost cried. the other 2 i finishes 2nd and 1st. This never happened to me in a session. I just quit for the day.
    • Styr
      Styr
      Bronze
      I have a small ball I throw around and then try catch it in time, so it does not break anything. :P
    • mmanchev
      mmanchev
      Bronze
      Styr...this with the softball is good...but in times I fell like breaking something...so probably I have to buy some easy breaking ball so I can jump on it, throw it, smash it...whatever just to hear the crack sound :D :D :D I remember breaking my keyboard once with a computer game and this still did not happen with poker though but i feel i am very close to it sometimes :D
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      What you are describing seems to be perfectly standard. People go through these periods all the time.

I'm currently going through one, bad beats, dry sessions etc... Haven't managed to win whole stack for a long time now, and this is at NL5.
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I'm playing nl10 on party poker, 2 days ago I lost 6BI in 1k hands, then made 8BI in the next 1k hands. Used to check my progress hand after hand with PT3, I try to avoid this now as I find myself distracted from my A game. Try to just check my progress once an hour instead. As long as your playing your A game things will turn round, you should know youself if your starting to tilt its time to stop and take a break. Its a love hate relationship with these fish, most days there your best friend, other days you couldn't loath a person more after suffering suckout after suckout! :f_love: :f_mad:
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      Yea, every time i raise with top pair, i get re-raised and then after i fold they show me their 2 pair that they got on the turn, :(

Everyone playing so tight on NL10, can't seem to win anything, losing like crazy....
    • inf4my
      inf4my
      Bronze
      I've been running bad for 3 straight months now. At first I would get angry, and tilt a bit. Now the runbad doesn't even affect me because I'm so used to it.
    • mmanchev
      mmanchev
      Bronze
      inf4my Brrrr 3 months is a hellish time of downswing...but I also had a long one of two months during May and June...I cannot describe the horrific feeling :(
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I open up an extra 3 or 4 tables and grind even harder and play through it. Unless i emotionally get affected then i'll stop. As has already been said, Shor-term results dont matter. Good dessisons is what counts not $$$.
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      Everyone had/has/will have a string of bad sessions and good sessions. It's normal. You shouldn't change your game style because of it. It's the worst you can do. Variance just hit you. Long term results is what counts. If you were doing great once with your style, keep on.
      I usually watch a few videos from PS or attend coaching and i play better after it.
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I play 4 tables in a matrix, on the screen beside them I open a notepad with reminders for myself. Recently I haven't been taking enough notice -of aggression and went to show down percentages, this is a couple of the leaks i'm aware of in my game. The notepad is a constant reminder as your playing, I certainly find it very useful.
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Bronze
      In the span of 690 hands I've just lost $53. BAHHHH I'm so mad right now.

But yeah I usually just take a break from poker for a day if I suffer a major downswing like the one I just have.
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Originally posted by inf4my
      I've been running bad for 3 straight months now. At first I would get angry, and tilt a bit. Now the runbad doesn't even affect me because I'm so used to it.
      +1, no tilt or anger during sessions, but growing really really tired of it in general ... wondering when it's finally going to come to and end :f_cry:
    • ukcoolcat
      ukcoolcat
      Bronze
      Originally posted by StaticMoth
      Originally posted by inf4my
      +1, no tilt or anger during sessions, but growing really really tired of it in general ... wondering when it's finally going to come to and end :f_cry:
      exactly, it gets tiresome, they always catch the 'miracle' card on the river, felt like giving up loads of times, but in the end thes same morons give me their monies so alls well in the long run :s_love:
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      The thing that keeps me going is that I've never deposited a single penny of my own money ever ... Even though I blew through my first PS $50 :D

I started out with freerolls and built my way up - so I can think of it as "free money" which makes it easier and more fun to continue with this thing :)