when to walk away

• jedder16
      jedder16
      Bronze
      okay this might be the wrong place to post this but i would like to ask people the stupidest most basic question going - when do you walk away? Let me give you some examples.

I'm in education and have a tiny cash input... what cash i do have i turn into poker. The first time i started playing i lost $70. Then the next time I deposited 20$... won an 18$ MTT and got about $150. I then kept entering these $18 sit and goes until it was ALL gone

I would finish in the money in my free roll, win about 0.50c. I take this to the minimum cash table in fixed limit and manage to get to $40 (this was just yesterday) through some sit and goes but mainly exceptional cash table play. I then proceeded to lose it all.

I usually play high limit poker because it's easier to be much more profitable then no limit poker, but when i hit a losing streak I just cant seem to walk away - angry for my lost funds. Is there a specific limit I should stop at? Only my resolve and disclipline is preventing me turning over a profit and it's so frustrating

sorry for such a trivial problem,
      Jed
  • 3 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Jedder!

I strongly recommend that you read our bankroll management articles as well as the other strategy articles!!! It seems to me that you are a typical gambler. But if you keep playing like this (e.g. having a $20 bankroll and putting $18 in a tournament) you will lose a lot more money.

I hope this helps!
      Puschkin81
    • Ulek
      Ulek
      Black
      The way you play at the moment is kamikaze poker. Its like flipping a coin, you either double your bankroll or lose everything. Your bankroll cant really grow if every time you play there is a 50% chance to lose it, can it? So read the bankroll management article and start building your roll by playing small limits and slowly moving up.
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      It sounds to me like you have a developing gambling problem ("what cash i do have i turn into poker"), the best thing to do would be to stop completely or set strict deposit limits for yourself and view it as entertainment, in which case doing what you do is fine as grinding's certainly less exciting, and excitement seems to be what you relaly crave. In either case, you're not going to be a long term winner this way, so unless you can really, really place winning above all other aspects of poker, you should view poker as an expense, not an opportunity.