Milkafish SnG Blog

• Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      Heya everyone, let me first introduce myself I'm Matija and I live in Croatia.
      I'm 23 year old and I'm a computer science student and a poker fan.

I have joined pokerstrategy around 3months(I only played poker for a few weeks with my friends before that) ago and for a month I played SSS cash games, and went busto at one moment due to inexcusable mental breakdown(I got pissed off by 10$ downswing :D , and I went and lost remaining 100$ in a heads up), however this was not the end.

I gained another free bankroll from another affiliate, played again SSS for a while cleared the money and decided to take it somewhere else.

Enter Pokerstars.

So I switched to Pokerstars with a humble bankroll of 100$, I was fed up playing basic SSS and decided to try something else. So I started playing 9men STTs, and finally found something that I greatly enjoyed.

During the next two months, there were periods of ups and downs, 30 buyin downswings and more but I endured and became very emotionally stable (I don't really remamber when was the last time I got angry while playing, nowadays I mostly chuckle at bad beats and add an sarcastic comment in my mind like ('Typical')). I also improved my poker skills by watching videos at pokerstrategy, and reading pokerbooks(notably Moshmans SnG strategy which I wholeheartedly recommend).

So, now 2months and 1428 SnG games after breakdown my bankroll stands on:

Some 90$ more, and I'll start to play 11$ at stars(or possibly Fulltilt, if and when they arrange rakeback for me there),

That's it for now, cya at the tables. :f_cool:
  • 15 replies
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      Well a little update before I go to sleep. I started playing 10+1$ normal speed STTs. I moved up with 1078$.

From little what I have seen of the games(played only 27 tournaments) they don't seem a lot tougher then 5+0.5$ SnGs, players are a bit more tight in the beginning and slightly more aggressive in late game but overall there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference.

I'm down around 2buyins which is absolutely nothing when it comes to SnGs, I'm generally pleased with todays sessions especially the last one where while I ended up only break even I was ahead in overwhelming majority of hands sadly luck was on my opponents side today. Will get them, next time.
      :f_cool:

BR:1054$
    • serpico9000
      serpico9000
      Bronze
      hey very nice blog ... i will read it :club: :club: \

keep making money :s_love:
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      @serpico9000 Thanks :) , and I hope you'll enjoy reading about my ups and downs.

So another day where I played only 27 Sngs, first session(I play sets of 9 tables) was horrible I was clearly not focused and I made some beginners mistake, which resulted in me losing another 5buyins at this level.

I then stopped and analysed my game, 11$ sng and difference between 5.5$ tournaments and 11$ ones, and my stats. I noticed while I finish(in this very small sample but still) ITM as much as I do in 5.5$ ones I'm ending up third far too often.

Then I looked at my stack sizes at the games where I finished third, I was a shortstack in almost all of them. This means that at this level I need to be more aggressive on the bubble/mid-play.

And with that in mind I played two more sessions, and it worked much better I started entering ITM with decent stacks which resulted in more winnings and a lot less third spots.

I won back 7buyins that I lost in last two days, and won another two in addition to those.

BR:1093$
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      Quick update:

Well after being more or less break even for two days I finally started to move up, I felt I really had the upper hand in most of my tournaments. Sadly I didn't crush a fish in headsup in my last game.

Anyway, bankroll now stands at:

BR:1200$

Oh and here is a graph of my last 42days played if anyone is interested in looking at such a thing, its not entirely correct and should have around 120$ less on it(I forgot to update it during one 30buyin downswing in the middle, on the graph you can only see a part of that downswing.)

• lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      nice blog! keep up the good work. you have done well really well so far. <3
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      @lessthanthreee -> Thanks :) , and good luck at the 12s. ^^

Yet another update, had a funny poker day. I'm down around 6buyins, but that's not too horrible, I made few mistakes but the main problem today was amazingly horrible run in heads up.

I managed to lose 8 headsups in a row, and I can't complain on the way I placed my chips in those so all good I guess.

I was overwhelming favorite to win at very least 3 headsups(and If I had won this would have been a winning day) yet they managed RR straights, second pair on the river etc. Also I counted 9flips in the row lost in my last session of the day.

Oh well just all part of the poker coster, just keep playing like that fish, I will crush you. :f_cool:

BR:1135

Oh and just installed HEM and made a new graph with only 11s:

• Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      The past few days have been very very bad, I'm down to BR 956. I had 2 or so 9table sessions without ITM, but that's not the problem my ITM rate is around 41% which isn't bad, my problem is not ITM play or Bubble, my problem is Headsupplay.

I just counted, out of last 25 Headsups, the score is 22 for villain, 3 for me. I'm not sure what I'm doing so wrong here, I probably have huge leaks in Headsup play but I did lose a lot of those where I was ahead.

I need to start hitting firsts or my bankroll is going to dwindle down. :evil:

Graph lacks several losing games, and that's most likely because of the fact that I exit probably too quick when I lose.

I'm taking a brake tomorrow, and I'll try to find some good Heads Up material, if any of you HeadsUp sharks are reading this, Tips are very much welcome. :D
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      losing 22/25 heads up is pretty bad. I'm currently playing Heads up sng's and im not a pro or something, but if your losing that many you probably have some leaks.

I've only played 60 or so so far 1 tabling them though. and i've won 7 in a row when i started and have had sessions where i lost 6 in a row.

now that im writing this... i realise this doesn't really help you at all. but i suggest really practicing them i guess. $2 heads up im playing are very different then SNG heads up though because the blinds are so much lower. But you might learn a few things if you play some HU sng.

Ahwell.. Goodluck at the tables i guess xD
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      definitely read material on the nash HU equilibrium play. once you get those ranges that you should be pushing with which relative blinds and stack sizes your HU play will improve :)

gl
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      So after around 5 or so days in the red, I finally hit the bottom of 890$ and then bounced back to BR: 1050 and not a moment too soon.

It is no doubt that I was suffering trough a downswing and had problems with my opponents lucking out in Heads up, but this downswing certainly helped me identify the fact that I was leaking like hell in headsup I read several posts/articles on the matter and I think I picked up few things.

@lessthanthree Ah thanks, I will certainly check it out.

@pokergods several days on a heater would be nice now, can you arrange that? :f_biggrin:
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze

So I have returned from 30 something buyin downswing :f_eek: , and I'm back in profit on this limit, my winning percentage in headsup is significantly bigger now but I still have a LOT to learn in that segment of play.

Hopefully there will be more winning sessions from this point.

• Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      I haven't updated this in a while. My internet connection wasn't working for the last three days so I'm finally back. My bankroll is now steadily improving around BR: 1270$ now, apparently my headsup improved a bit. I figured I just wasn't used to getting 300/600 blinds so soon, since it rarely got to those blinds in 5.5$ sngs but seems very common in 11$s.

One of yesterdays hand, pretty standard suckout hehe but hey I hate when they ruin my 'gotcha' moment. :D

Poker Stars $10+$1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200/t400 Blinds + t25 - 2 players
      The Official 2+2 Hand Converter Powered By DeucesCracked.com

Hero (BB): t3345 M = 5.15
      BTN/SB: t10155 M = 15.62

Pre Flop: (t650) Hero is BB with A:spade: J:diamond:
      BTN/SB calls t200, Hero raises to t1200, BTN/SB calls t800

Flop: (t2450) 5:diamond: A:heart: 7:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN/SB bets t8930 all in, Hero calls t2120 all in

Turn: (t6690) Q:club: (2 players - 2 are all in)

River: (t6690) 6:diamond: (2 players - 2 are all in)

Final Pot: t6690
      Hero shows A:spade: J:diamond: (a pair of Aces)
      BTN/SB shows 6:heart: Q:diamond: (two pair, Queens and Sixes)
      BTN/SB wins t6690
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $10+$1 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t200/t400 Blinds + t25 - 2 players - View hand 429636
      The Official DeucesCracked.com Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN/SB): t7090 M = 10.91
      BB: t6410 M = 9.86

Pre Flop: (t650) Hero is BTN/SB with 3 :heart: 5 :club:
      Hero calls t200, BB raises to t800, Hero calls t400

Flop: (t1650) 7 :club: 7 :diamond: T :spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t1650) 3 :spade: (2 players)
      BB bets t400, Hero raises to t1200, BB raises to t5585 all in, Hero calls t4385

River: (t12820) 8 :heart: (2 players - 1 is all in)

Final Pot: t12820
      Hero shows 3 :heart: 5 :club: (two pair, Sevens and Threes)
      BB shows 8 :diamond: A :heart: (two pair, Eights and Sevens)
      BB wins t12820

A few minutes ago :D *whine*, oh well happens.
      :f_eek:
    • lessthanthreee
      lessthanthreee
      Bronze
      dont know why you limp/called 53o HU in the first place. need to practice your HU play sir :)
    • Milkafish
      Milkafish
      Bronze
      Now that you mention it, I really can't defend that. Gah my heads up play sucks, I'm up to 1400$ so at least the other areas are doing better, god knows how much profit I squander on heads up.

I suppose poker strategy headsup articles would help but I'm not tracked on stars, still when it comes to push/fold phase I find myself doing a lot better, its prior to that I suck immensely still. ;(