Preflop raises

• Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      On Thursday I accidentally had a coaching as you may have noticed ;)

During this coaching we had a discussion about the preflop raises. Sklansky recommends in his book "No Limit - Theory and Practice" "Different hands in different situations call for differently-sized raises." meaning that you should not always raise the same amount like you learn it here at PokerStrategy.

Surprisingly I have a different opinion about this :D I think that it is better to raise always the same amount no matter what position or "preflop raising hand" you have. From my point of view by doing this you do not give away any information about your hand. But if you raise different sizes, you become more readable for your opponents.

What do you think about this?
  • 4 replies
    • vladnz
      vladnz
      Bronze
      i think you become more predictable
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Note that he also recommends making small raises when you would make big ones and vice versa a certain amount of the time. There's almost certainly more money to be made by sizing raises for the situation, but it's also got to be more complicated to play.
    • Pacer357
      Pacer357
      Bronze
      I read a post by Ed Miller where he talks bout why he likes varying your raise size. I think he made some good points for example making a small raise with SC after lots of limpers cause a big raise would just cut down on opps and your postflop equity goes up a lot with more opposition on big draw hits specially on the loser lower limits. So if your just grinding the micros and don´t want to beat the higher levels I can get his point but if you want to dive into shark infested waters and climb levels you would have to mix up a lot with hands that loose lots and lots postflop by it.
    • Nunki
      Nunki
      Bronze
      I think that it is very important to be clear about why you are raising.

I almost always raise 4BB+1BB/limper because it seems reasonable. If I am playing BSS then I will sometimes bet more than usual if there is a very loose/bad player who is likely to call. If I am playing SSS I will sometimes open-push depending upon position/stack-sizes/opponents.

If you employ a reasonable mixed-strategy then you could vary your raise sizes without becoming readable. In fact, such a strategy would be almost impossible in practice for an opponent to infer. EG. If your WTS is 25% then roughly speaking your opponents will only see you SD AA about once in every 1000 hands. This is not much data for any opponent to utilize.

At the limits where i play, questions of value dominate PFRing strategy and NOT information hiding.