Super System ?

• 10 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Phisherman!

Since I am a NL player I cannot answer your question. But I will ask someone else.

CiRith?!?!?!..... :D

For further book recommendations you should have a look at this article.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      I don't think that it worth buying it just for the little FL part... and additionally the book is very old and most stragies only worked in the time the book was written.. there are many better books and I won't even consider buying it ;)

(But I saw on the doyle page that you can get it for free maybe that's worth a look?)
    • frzl
      frzl
      Bronze
      i agree with cirith but if you have the chance to get a free look at it you should definatly do it.
      doyle brunsons life story on its own is worth a look imo ^^. unbelievable what things happenend to this guy.
    • TaoButterfly
      TaoButterfly
      Bronze
      "SuperSystem 1" - not recommended
      The fixed limit section was written by Bobby Baldwin, who was and continues to be a top high-limit player. I found it to be disorganized, and I had a tough time absorbing the information properly. I think there some good tidbits in there, but nothing that you won't find in SuperSystem 2, or other books which I will recommend at the bottom.

"SuperSystem 2" - recommended
      The section was written by Jennifer Harman. Very well organized, and I was surprised by the depth. If you're going to buy a Supersystem for the limit section this is the one to have. However, read on for better Limit Hold'em teaching texts.

Some recommendations:

"Hold'em for Advanced Players - Sklansky and Malmuth" is a DEFINITE RECOMMEND. If there is one book on limit you could buy, this would be it.

"Small Stakes Hold'em - Sklansky and Malmuth" is second on my recommendation list. I cut my teeth on 'Hold'em for Advanced Players' so it's tough to say if this would have been a more valuable first book. Definitely should be read.

"Theory of Poker - Sklansky" - Also highly recommended. I zoned out for some of the intense math, however he covers some very important concepts that all limit pokers should read.

"Winning Low Limit Holdem - Lee Jones" is recommended for complete beginners. There is no better starting point. Like I said though, it’s for beginners.

May you flush draws always fill up,
      TaoButterfly
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      The thing I find confusing with the Doyle Brunson Super System books is that it obviously encourages you to take all the small pots so you afford to lose a big one. Like Brunson says in one of those, I think the first one, he wins a lot of small pots, but is usually a dog in the big ones ... but it doesn't matter with all the profit from the small pots won.

It kinda contradicts the PokerStrategy articles that seem to say "let go of the small ones if you ain't sure, just make sure you're a favorite in the big ones"
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      the books (well super system 1) are so old. doyle introduced slowplay in his books like it was the holy grail of poker-proness, whereas everyone now knows that any beginner who has watched more than half an hour of poker is aware of slowplay, overuses it, and misuses it.

Add this to the fact that Super System 1 covers far too many other types of poker games to offer much intermediate/advanced help for any one game in specific.
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      Originally posted by chenny8888
      the books (well super system 1) are so old. doyle introduced slowplay in his books like it was the holy grail of poker-proness, whereas everyone now knows that any beginner who has watched more than half an hour of poker is aware of slowplay, overuses it, and misuses it.

Add this to the fact that Super System 1 covers far too many other types of poker games to offer much intermediate/advanced help for any one game in specific.
      The book is more imtermediate/advanced stuff. both books actully cover a lot of stuff. If you just get number 2 since the first one is outdated it covers a fair bit. The books aren't beginner strategy :P .
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      I have the first book for free. One friend send it to me as a folder.
      I still didn't ready any of the articles but i'm sure it will give a different point of view of what i've learned so far.

1_ what do you think about the MTT's part of the book? is it worth spending time compared to the time i can spend reading the strategies article on this site?
      2_ Since it was free, can i quote the MTT part and post it here. I've heard people complaining about the fact that the MTT part of the site isn't covering all the topics (ex: rebuy tourneys)?
    • duvel666
      duvel666
      Gold
      Originally posted by Puschkin81

For further book recommendations you should have a look at this article.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      I cannot read it, cannot get access to it somehow ...

due to real life i had a break from poker during the summer (divorce) and now most is back to normal in my life so i restarted poker like a week or so ago...

I did read some poker books and all, but want to see more books of interest,
      I mostly play NL ring games, and occasionally mtt...

Tx for book hints
    • NRGBlaze
      NRGBlaze
      Bronze
      Originally posted by frzl
      i agree with cirith but if you have the chance to get a free look at it you should definatly do it.
      doyle brunsons life story on its own is worth a look imo ^^. unbelievable what things happenend to this guy.
      I hate it when you decide to read a poker book and half of it (or the whole thing) turnes out to be a biography. Thats the reason that I stopped reading "Ace on the river"
      I mean no doubt its interesting to see that guy's story, but seriously - who reads a poker book for that reason. It's like attending a private coaching to hear how the coach has started his career