My SHNL Career

• aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      EDIT 02-11-07: As you'll later notice I've moved from fixed limit to shorthanded no-limit.

EDIT 06-11-07: I am not updating this thread anymore as from today.

Hello,

I have been poking around at the fixed limit full tables with some success but as 6max limit seems to be the way for higher volume of players, I have been studying that one lately. Admitteldly I have been takin it at the chin pretty properly, but I hope I have finally gotten around and as of today can safely say I should have an Idea how to succeed at the table. Naturally it remains to be seen if I can follow the path patiently enough:)

So... As we speak I'll start with a broll of 300BB at .5/1 fixed 6max tables today and am looking at reaching 3BB/hr.

So, my main reason for hanging around is becoming a good 6max fixed limit player.

Cheers,
      aaccw
  • 71 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Good luck aaccw! :D
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Puschkin81
      Tnx, Pushkin. My compliments regarding a very neat looking site and functional looking community concept!
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      For SH u need more then 300BB btw. Think abouth 500BB/600BB
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aaccw
      Tnx, Pushkin. My compliments regarding a very neat looking site and functional looking community concept!
      Thanks for the compliment. We are doing our best. If you have any feedback or suggestions for us feel free to post it here.

Oh....and wilm is correct!

Good luck at the tables!
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      Good luck. :)

Btw with 4 tables you can gain easily 4-8BB/h (1-2BB/100) and you should consider a bit tighter BRM.. like 500BB for SH, 300BB for FR and 1000BB for SH 5/10$+ (and yes that is important up there ^^)
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith

Btw with 4 tables you can gain easily 4-8BB/h (1-2BB/100) and you should consider a bit tighter BRM.. like 500BB for SH, 300BB for FR and 1000BB for SH 5/10$+ (and yes that is important up there ^^)
      Ok. Points certainly taken. Thank's again for the commos. Multitabling... I think not - at least quite yet :D
    • wilm
      wilm
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ciRith

Hm aint that a bit optimistic ciRith? I have been a stable Fullring player up to $600 mark but after 2months of SH im down 50BB (15k-20k hands). And im reading, posting hands and trying to improve like a maniac but something just isnt working for me.
    • ciRith
      ciRith
      Bronze
      1BB isn't opimistic that the least you should reach before trying to climb up.

15-20k could easily be a downswing (I myself have such a downswing at the moment with a zero more behind your down ;) )
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      After the grinding at fixed limit tables and a little frustration (.5-1 bb/hr), then studying the no limit betting structures and pretty extensively doing simulation tests (xxx) it seems my TA-A play style should produce lotta mo' better results at the 6-max no limit tables.

The 6-max fixed limit games have teached a lot about the basic play itself, but I feel a move into taking more proper advantage of calling stations only paying to see hands is a just case for me:) Let's see how this works out... cya.
    • gutshotstraightdraw
      gutshotstraightdraw
      Bronze
      What BR do you have? And which limits are u playing?
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      Sorry for the delayed answer. I'm frankly not totally sure what BR stands for. Bankroll? I'm using an aggressive approach of only 8,5 max buy-ins compared to the level I'm playing at any time; but then I'm also really prepared to drop down a level if need be. This seems a solid way as my variance is quite low.

I'm trying to optimize my Preflop play VP$IP at 18-22% and PFR at 16-20%. That should be the easy part. Not too much blind stealing/defending. Also the postflop play plays a bigger role and needs more attention at these games.

As I write this my game is in a downswing (bad? 6 buy-ins during last 1700 hands). I still feel pretty confident, but let's see. Was just getting to go up to NL100, at which point I got my ass kicked pretty decently by loosing good hands (face set, a straight and AA pocket based two pair to draws despite I tried to bet to wreck the drawing odds) in a real short time so I dropped back to NL50 and since that the recovery attempt has been somewhat of a pain in the butt... But as said, still confident.

Stats show I managed to keep my play fairly solid and seems I didn't at least totally tilt. I have counted I should have my head back above the previous peak within app. 10k of hands at the very latest. If not, I'll be pretty convinced my skills aren't up to serious play yet.

Prior to the start of my downswing I managed to pull a fairly steady average winrate of 12bb/10 (1,5k hands; so the sample is really small) with a lower standard deviation than the usually thought 90bb/hr. My stdv is around 58bb/hr, which I think is quite good. However I wonder if that indicates too tight and cautious playing. I think I'm getting targeted for quite a lot of bluffing from Loose players once they find out about my tight table image.

Anyhow... Let's see how this continues. Cya. :spade:
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      Right... A beginner is a beginner is a beginner is a beginner... Everything is going just fine, but this one is too funny.

As I was still close to the point at which I need to consider should I play NL50 or NL100 which I did yesterday I decided to return to NL50 today, with a twist tho... After a while a buddy at the table made a comment... "You have quite aggressibe betting strategy"... I was like ? go teach u'rself fish (ok... didn't really chat that one) untill I realised I was betting by NL100 standards at the NL50 table. The positive is that I got a lotta rspect from the others :D I think... :rolleyes: :spade:
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi aaccw!

I don't think that it is a good idea to play with only 8.5 buy-ins at one level. Please stick to the rules of our bankroll management. Concerning your betting patterns: well played. If you are getting respect from other players it isn't a bad thing ;)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      I don't think that it is a good idea to play with only 8.5 buy-ins at one level.
      Hi Pushkin,

I don't want to be obnoxious or anything such. If I can maintain the ratio of my downswings compared to potential profit with said arrangement I think it is a just call. Anyhow... This is something I would strongly not recommend to anyone at this point as Pushkin says. It's an experiment of my own which has not been shown solid at all and I fully understand I have been warned. If I survive to tell about it I'll get back on the subject.

:spade:
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      Past week's been more or less treading water, kind of non-serious, very slow downtrend instead of a uncontrolled downswing. So I guess I should be happy as a beginner not firing my bankroll down the rake moloks mouth (u know... a metaphore:) ) Still just about in the money so all ok and confidence remains stable.

As my preflop stats have been mostly around VP$IP 18% and PFR around 15% I am aiming at carefully opening my game as the consensus seems to be, the stats should be VP$IP 20-30% and PFR 18-22% or so at SHNL... Naturally the post flop play is much more importante - there I'm concentrating mostly at the dilemma of overplaying weak 2 pairs an TPTK when I should enjoy fold equity instead - addmittedly very hard to respect opponents firing chips by VP$IP 50%+ with very short stacks too!

Today presented some promising results as I didn't notice anyone was after my ass because of all too loose-aggro play:D

:spade: wannabe
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi aacw!

Well done! But be careful when you try to play more aggressive preflop. You will be in more difficult situations postflop (with your weak two pair or top pair) and have to make tough decisions. Also the swings will be bigger. I recommend to perfect your current game and climb up the limits before you try to switch your preflop game. But that's up to you. Just an advice.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      Hi aacw!

Well done! But be careful when you try to play more aggressive preflop. You will be in more difficult situations postflop (with your weak two pair or top pair) and have to make tough decisions. Also the swings will be bigger. I recommend to perfect your current game and climb up the limits before you try to switch your preflop game. But that's up to you. Just an advice.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
      Yes I assumed that about increased variance, but tnx for the comment and yes I'm trying to concentrate at the fold eq and pot control regarding those more marginal hands.

I have developed a statistical tactic for my pre-flop play which I hope will produce good results. I'll only open up my hand range if my playing stats show lower vp$ip as the aimed ideal is and I have the same for prf... so I have an ABC vanilla category of ideally playable hands from each position and counting in opponent actions including if it is a TAG/LAG/LAP/TAP player and additionally three "bluffing" levels I start thinking of using if my own table image gets tighter, indicating I should be prepared to play more hands. Naturally I forget about bluffing almost alltogetehr if the vanilla hands are coming frequently enough - but never say never is due here:D

Btw, it's really cool to see you guys are really reading these comments so tnx for that as well.

• aaccw
      aaccw
      Bronze
      So I have apparently come to experience the negative side of variance and I must say it feels in the guts. I decided to move a level down to NL25 to not to loose my shirt:D

One after another my prime hands have been picked by another winner. Here's an example

$25 USD NL Texas Holdem
      Table Table 126542 (Real Money)
      Seat 4 is the button
      Total number of players : 6
      Seat 2: beachfield ( $6.51 USD )
      Seat 4: HERO ( $51.58 USD )
      Seat 6: kgb_teddy_85 ( $25.07 USD )
      Seat 3: tubixx ( $23.29 USD )
      Seat 5: cds_ger ( $25.59 USD )
      Seat 1: SoulSimon3 ( $25 USD )
      cds_ger posts small blind [$0.10 USD].
      kgb_teddy_85 posts big blind [$0.25 USD].
      ** Dealing down cards **
      Dealt to HERO [ Kd Kh ]
      beachfield folds
      tubixx folds
      HERO raises [$0.75 USD]
      cds_ger folds
      kgb_teddy_85 raises [$2.25 USD]
      HERO raises [$3.50 USD]
      kgb_teddy_85 raises [$22.50 USD]
      HERO calls [$20.75 USD]
      ** Dealing Flop ** [ 2s, Qc, 7s ]
      kgb_teddy_85 is all-In [$0.07 USD]
      HERO calls [$0.07 USD]
      ** Dealing Turn ** [ 7h ]
      ** Dealing River ** [ 6h ]
      kgb_teddy_85 shows [ 7d, Ad ]three of a kind, Sevens.
      HERO shows [ Kd, Kh ]two pairs, Kings and Sevens.
      kgb_teddy_85 wins the main pot with three of a kind, Sevens.

Also TWO missed full houses up to the stack. boy that pains... sob... sob... Ok... enuf whining - back to the battlefields!

Cya at the tables!

• Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi aaccw!

These beats happen to all of us. You played it correctly and in the long run you will win money. Just keep going :)

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81