[NL2-NL10] NL2 FR, wierd spot

• Etherone
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:

CO is 30/10 at the time over about 30 hands so nothing to tell really, he seems like a standard nl2 guy.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8, 3.
      2 folds, MP3 calls $0.02, CO calls $0.02, BU folds, SB calls $0.01, Hero checks.
      pretty standard im on the button and i check rather than raise with air since i feel a lot will cal with much better.

Flop: ($0.08) 8, 9, K (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.
      checking to the initial aggressor rather than donking with 2 behind

Turn: ($0.08) 7 (4 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.06, MP3 calls $0.06, CO raises to $0.24, SB folds, Hero calls $0.18, MP3 calls $0.18.
      everyone checked and i immediately thought no one hit the flop and hopefully someone hit the turn, i get raised and think for sure he hit the turn and thinks i am simply betting to steal with air

River: ($0.8) 2 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO bets $0.57, Hero raises to $1.73
      check with the intent to induce a bet and raise it. im basically value towning.

• 3 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg

I'm really confused right now you're not even on the button, are you sure your hand was 83o? 3rd pair no kicker is garbage 4-way in a limped pot on K987, i see no reason not to check/fold it down.

Not everybody will bet Kx on the flop, almost nobody will bet 9x but there's certainly not folding to a turn bet so we're not really bluffing much out of the pot. And certainly there is some value against 7x and random gutshots, but it's nowhere near enough to warrant us getting involved there but betting in my opinion. And we're certainly not calling a raise from CO into 3 players without a very strong read, he's not messing around in that spot. Sticking around makes no sense on hero's part.

On the river CO continues to tell us that he likes his hand enough to want value from it after 2 players decided to continue on the turn and he's playing 30/10 so he's erratic, i again see no reason to continue turning our hand into a bluff and try to take him off what might be the nuts. Even if it's only Kx there is nothing suggesting he's willing to fold it.

Hope it helps.
    • michaelqian
      Come play at my table any day :)
    • buhhy
      wat? Lol, I think he's purposely playing bad, or leveling.