SSS unsuccesfull

• Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      I played the SSS strategy for about 900 partypoints now at 0.05/0.10 NL full ring. When I started with the strategy, I had $43, now I have only $8. I'm pretty sure I understood the strategy and that I apply it as it is explained. I loose quite often to worse hands. So, am I on a downswing? Are there too many players playing that strategy, so it isn't profitable anymore? Do I need to have more patience?

PS: I got my $100 bonus between 100 and 300 partypoints. Is that normal? I thought that I needed 5000 points to get there.
  • 15 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi Philipvw!

Since this is your first post I think you have never posted a sample hand in our sample hands board. I strongly recommend to do so because this is the best way to find your weaknesses and to improve your game!
      Normally you have to collect 800 PartyPoints and not 5000 to get your bonus. These requirements have been changed because PartyPoker changed its PartyPoint structure. Be happy if you got the bonus already :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      I will make use of that feature, thx.
      But it happens so much to me, that my QQ, KK or AK runs into AA or KK when I'm allin. Or that I loose against the odds when some Ax calls me when I'm preflop allin and hits his A.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      This s*** happens to every poker player. I know that it is getting on your nerves. But you have to stay calm. Just stick to our articles and especially the starting hands chart, post your sample hands and you will see: it improves your game. Also the article about up- and downswings might be helpful.
      I do not say that you make mistakes. It can even be the devil called variance. It´s just to give you a little advice.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      You (almost certainly) haven't lost $35 by playing a good short stack game at NL10. You have leaks, and unfortunately it's almost too late to find them now that you have all of 4 stacks remaining, but it's better than when you're already broke. You should reread the articles carefully and start posting hands immediately.

It may be a downswing, but an important part of being a good poker player is to take every opportunity to examine your game and only put it down to luck when you're sure that you've been playing as well as is reasonably possible.

I'd suggest posting the next few hands where you get your money in while behind, because you're more likely to have made mistakes in those (although getting your money in while behind is an unfortunate fact for poker players of every skill level).
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      I'll post those hands when they happen again. Actually I have a $104 bankroll. I earned the $100 bonus when playing SSS, so I have room to improve.
    • Cru3LL7
      Cru3LL7
      Bronze
      hi!
      I have one question for SSS.So, if I took 2$ in to 0.05/0.10 $ table, how much I have to win that I could leave table and rebuy 2$ again?Because now, when I win 5$ I leave a table and go there again with 2$.
      Ok, sorry for my really bad english :rolleyes: I hope you understand what I wrote there.
    • Philipvw
      Philipvw
      Bronze
      You should leave when your stack is 25 times the BB, in this case when your stack is $2.5.

EDIT: adjusted mistype (2.5 times the BB)
    • Cru3LL7
      Cru3LL7
      Bronze
      I think I love this SSS!Because I win ~ 15-20 BB / h with this strategy :) today in the last 3 hours I won 10$. :) how I play? Just wait AK, AA, KK, QQ or AQ, KQ and easy double up.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Hi @ all!

First of all: If you have 25BB (not 2.5BB) you have to leave the table as you can see in this article.

And secondly: Be careful! If you win 15-20BB it is definitely an upswing. You do not double up every time you get the strong starting hands. You will experience periods of time where you lose money. Prepare yourself for it by reading our "Upswings and downswings" article.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Cru3LL7
      Cru3LL7
      Bronze
      hi!
      I just want to say that in short time ago I was improved some SSS parts and now I have Super Shortstack Strategy :) in which I get 8-10BB / h when play in 2 tables.BTW today I won 20$ .It's good or not?
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Of course it's good! :D

I just wanted to warn you because I know the phenomenon of winning and losing a lot. The long run is decisive, not the short term losing or winning. That's what I wanted to say.

I dont doubt that you play well :D

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      Around next week or maybe a bit later I will start posting example hands for the SSS and I will also post hands, where I had an equity of over 95% on the flop and still got beaten. ;)

And on Party Poker you should also watch out if you play against other SSS-Players (especially from Germany), because then I would not reraise an Early Raise with JJ, because he only will have raised by himself with TT, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK. So adjust your play against other SSS Players.
    • c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      Hi everyone :)

I've joined PokerStrategy a few days ago and played 3.308 Hands of SSS - certainly not an awful lot, but a considerable amount within a few days for a newbie i'd think. Let me report about my experience:

Overall i score 9,86 BB /100 Hands playing NL10, im happy with that (for the moment :D ). At first the strategy did not seem to work out to well for me, so i went back to the guide and studied it again, and i came to the conclusion that i got sloppy with the starting hands chart: the positions seem to be very important (especially with other SSS players at the table) and when i really played the preflop game exactly like proposed by the guide i began earning money with SSS. The guide isnt precise about how to raise preflop: minbet or potsize? I try to decide that in function of position, pocketcards and the number of callers before me, but im really unsure what the correct maths are for this. Another thing im unsure about is how to bet on the flop: the guid says halfpot if i dont hit and potsize/all-in of i hit my flop. I played that it like that at first, but it seems that often after the halfpot bet i get an evil reraise, which often scares me out of the hand. I experiment with to other variants at moment: 1. Variant is to always do a potsize bet, no matter what the flop looks like. 2. Variant is to play anticyclical: i do the halfpot when i hit, potsize when i don't. Both variants seemed to work slightly better than the variant discussed in the guide, but i think this experience is based on very few hands (like maybe 1000) and i'd like to know what the maths say about it, and what the pros say about it :)

Anyone got some hints for me?
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      The preflop raise size is on page 2 of the basic SSS preflop article. (It's approximately pot size (a pot size raise isn't a raise by or to the size of the current pot, it's larger than both) for all circumstances except where you'd be committed by that, in which case you go all in directly. It's never a minimum raise.) The half pot if you don't hit, pot if you do rule might work at low limits (remember that they don't have to fold as often because you lose less when it doesn't work) but it's highly inadvisable on higher limits. Whether and how much to continuation bet is usually determined by number and type of opponents, board texture, position and your hand (in that order in my opinion). You're less likely to want to continuation bet with multiple opponents and loose opponents but if you do it should be large, you're more likely to want to continuation bet "dry" than "wet" boards and your continuation bet can be smaller, position's... well, not so important for a short stack actually.
    • c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      Thank you so much :) I hope its ok if i just keep asking about the things that im unsure about :

Coming back to continuation bets:

My skill to determine the type of opponents is obviously very limited (mind u im totally new to poker "strategies" - SSS is the only thing i know about atm.) Basically i think that i class opponents into 3 types atm.:

1) strong SSS player:
      The type that has a table bankroll of approx. 15-25 BB, playing cards within the appropriate handrange of SSS, very aggressive after the flop.

2) sloppy SSS player:
      Same bankroll as type 1) but not always within the appropriate handrage: raises ATo KJo 66 QJs and similar hands preflop.

3) rest of the world:
      All players that do not fall into cathegory 1) or 2) : Complete blackboxes for me :(

Is it possible/recommended to adjust continuation bets in function of those cathegories? If so, how?

Preflop game:
      Ok. It wasn't so much positions then, but maybe general unprecision, like reraising hands that are not strong enough, silly calls, etc. I'll play potsize bets from now on, as you recommend.

Finally, since this thread is about unsuccessful SSS a few unsuccessful/doubtful hands to discuss:

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)    
      SB:
      $8,86
      UTG+1:
      $5,09
      MP2:
      $10,86
      Hero:
      $1,75
      MP1:
      $4,16

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:heart: , A:club:
      UTG+1 calls $0,10, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0,10, MP2 calls $0,10, 3 folds, SB calls $0,05, Hero raises to $0,20, UTG+1 calls $0,10, MP1 calls $0,10, MP2 calls $0,10, SB calls $0,10.

Flop: ($1,00) 9:heart: , T:heart: , 4:club: (5 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1,55 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $1,55, 3 folds.

Turn: ($4,10) 8:heart:
      River: ($4,10) T:spade:

Final Pot: $4,10

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG+1 shows [ Tc, Ks ] three of a kind, Tens
      Hero shows [ Ah, Ac ] two pairs, Aces and Tens
      UTG+1 wins $3.90 USD with three of a kind, Tens.

*EDIT* duplicate hand removed *EDIT*
      ---------------------------------------

Known players: (for a description of vp$ip, pfr, ats, folded bb, af, wts, wsd or hands click here)
      SB:
      $11,69
      BB:
      $9,20
      UTG:
      $2,45
      UTG+1:
      $7,62
      MP1:
      $18,59
      MP3:
      $1,57
      Hero:
      $2,08
      BU:
      $9,37
      UTG+2:
      $2,59
      MP2:
      $9,90

0,05/0,10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.7 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:club: , Q:club:
      UTG calls $0,10, UTG+1 raises to $0,40, 3 folds, MP3 calls $0,40, Hero raises to $0,70, 4 folds, UTG+1 calls $0,30, MP3 calls $0,30.

Flop: ($2,35) 4:spade: , 7:club: , 9:club: (3 players)
      UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $1,38 (All-In), UTG+1 calls $1,38, MP3 folds.

Turn: ($5,11) J:club:
      River: ($5,11) 4:diamond:

Final Pot: $5,11

Results follow (highlight to see):
      UTG+1 shows [ Kc, Js ] two pairs, Jacks and Fours
      Hero shows [ Ac, Qc ] a flush, Ace high
      Hero wins $4.86 USD with a flush, Ace high.

again thank you so much ;)