Calling 3bet OOP with Small/Mid Pocket Pairs in SH?

• Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      I have a dilemma in Short Handed NLHE (micro stakes) with pocket pairs 99 and down.

If I raise preflop with 88 for ex. the standard 4bb and I get 3bet OOP, is it a mistake to call against a 100bb stack?

I don't know what to do then and I usually fold. If a tight passive opp 3bets, I am way behind, best case flipping. If a looser opp 3bets I will most likely see overcards on the flop and he's not likely to fold to a donkbet.

IP sometimes I call, sometimes I fold depending on the opponent and stacksize.

What is the best way to approach this situation?
  • 6 replies
    • radyan111
      radyan111
      Bronze
      Fold.

You don't have the odds to call for set value.
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      The easiest option is to fold.
      You can call it sometimes. When an opponent, who is not a good one and who 3bets only AA, KK, sometimes QQ,AK you have good implied odds for set value. (but he must not be only tight, bad also - it means, he doesnt fold AA, KK postflop).
      You can call, if you feel like ouplaying your opponent postflop: when A hits the board, you can represent it: big part of opponents 3bet range consists of PPs (TT - AA). So he could lay them down (except AA ofcourse) with an A on board. But usually it takes two barrels, so you put almost all of your chips in the middle.
      If opponent is loose 3bettor, you can bluff 4bet. You cant fold then anymore but you can hope for a coinflip.

So like I said, all the calling /4bet options are quite close and very hard to play profitable. Folding is standard and I think the best choice.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      It's a very fine line tbh. Folding is normally the best option.
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      Yeah only call if you believe villain will be committed to his QQ+, or if you intend to fight for the pot sometimes even if you don't flop a set.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by nafar84
      Yeah only call if you believe villain will be committed to his QQ+, or if you intend to fight for the pot sometimes even if you don't flop a set.
      +1 Calling, check-fold or Calling, c-bet, check-fold is not how to approuch it if you do call.
    • Frakkk
      Frakkk
      Bronze
      Thanks for the answers! Lately I have been running really bad and I start to question my game. I already forgot what it is like to finish a session in the green :)