How exactly do you play SnG?

• Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      So I decided to learn SnG strategy and today I played my first SnG (real money-wise).
      It was 0.10c + 0.02c, I finished 1st, but that's not really important.

What I'm wondering is when some of you top players play SnG do you really follow strategy (& chart) like 100%..?

I didn't follow it exactly 101% (I followed it hands-wise, by I admit I did limp with A8s in first phase, just because it was cheap to see the flop, and players were generally bad), I mean I did play tight-aggressive, but some times I raised a bit smaller..
      Basically I'm adapting to my opponents, if I from previous hand know they fold easy, I raise a bit smaller if I have the nuts and things like that.

I had one played who would basically fold to minraise if he didn't flop anything on flop.. So I abused the rule which said "do the continuation bet only if you raised before flop" here, against this player.

At HU, I kind of tested my opponent, when I noticed he is weak, I bet with a lot range of hands I finally win with trips of 7..

But doing all of this I'm not really 100% sure in my game, because it's less of robotic (ie follow rules) and more of trying to play opponents while following majority of strategy.

I'm here now wondering, should I first learn to play 100% of strategy (robotic thing), and then maybe after Xs number of SnGs try to put into my game something above already mentioned (reads, etc..) or should I just continue the way I'm playing now?

Thanks!
  • 5 replies
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Dude, just be warned, SnG's have f*cking brutal variance. I started playing them and cashed in the first 6/7 that I played... And now I haven't cashed in the last 15 games i've played. I swear the next time my AKs gets beaten by some shit like 93o I am going to punch someone.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      I think the strategies are a great guideline to help you get going and teach you a lot of useful concepts but ultimately you will find that there are so many different situations that no fixed strategy can make you play perfectly. My advice would be to follow the articles 100% when you start at low limits until you have a 'feel' for the game and think you can adjust to it. Also variance is a bitch so make sure you follow good BRM. Good luck.
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Silver
      I suggest watching Chenny8888's video on multi table $6 SnG's it was really helpful and about 50 minutes long.

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/1457 here is the video I was talking about.
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Silver
      Also yeah the variance can be brutal thankfully I've turned a profit everytime I do a SnG run. (Even though it was little profit)

One bad suck out and you're out a buy-in.
    • Nazzor
      Nazzor
      Bronze
      Thanks! I'll take into account everything you said..

Oh and I though variance was small for SnGs, that's why I chosen to play them despite my really sick/small/low/you name it bankroll..

Is there a better poker game(less swingy) to play until I build a bigger bankroll that can sustain long downswings?

What I'm after is a strategy which I can learn relatively quickly and then just grind all day long with it without having to think lol (or atleast to some degree).. at least in micro stakes.. :P
      Thanks!