Running above EV?

• 20 replies
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i run above ev consistantly but i think its due to my playstyle rather than luck. if u look at my graph u can see my profits are mainly due to preflop agression against weak players :)

• raun
      raun
      Bronze
      how can anything but variance influence running above/below ev?
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      It can't, he just doesn't want to admit it
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      lol if my non showdown winnings > ev surely my winnings are due to pre showdown agression rather than luck as my hole cards are irrelevent as they are not seen?
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindar
      lol if my non showdown winnings > ev surely my winnings are due to pre showdown agression rather than luck as my hole cards are irrelevent as they are not seen?
      yea but running above or below EV cant be changed by any style =) EV doesnt care about your non-sd winnings... If you win without showdown there is not any difference between ur real winnings and ur EV line.
      It just shows your expected value when all in -> SD..
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      the only thing that can make your ev line differ from you net winnings line is if you are all in and loose/win more than expected.

so in other words if you play a session and win 50$ and you arent all in at all then you win line will show 50$ and your ev line will show 50$
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Bronze
      this guy has been running good for 30k hands

LOL
    • trent86
      trent86
      Bronze
      I am under the impression you cant affect your performance relative to EV line.

It is just variance and no one ever posts their graph where they run well above EV for 10k + hands.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by raun
      the only thing that can make your ev line differ from you net winnings line is if you are all in and loose/win more than expected.

so in other words if you play a session and win 50$ and you arent all in at all then you win line will show 50$ and your ev line will show 50$
      if u think deeper about it :) my non showdown winnings are not a function of ev! but they give a huge contribution to my overall winnings. so my non showdown winnings inflate my overall win rate and bring it much above showdown ev.
    • JuiceQuadre
      JuiceQuadre
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ishindar

if u think deeper about it :) my non showdown winnings are not a function of ev! but they give a huge contribution to my overall winnings. so my non showdown winnings inflate my overall win rate and bring it much above showdown ev.
      You are absolutely right. But there is no relation to running above/below EV. You run above EV line because luck was on your side a bit, there is no shame, ppl run above EV line as often as they run below EV line.
    • Ka0s
      Ka0s
      Bronze
      The way I see this graph is that you ran hugely above EV in the first 5000 hands, for whatever reason.

But from that point on, your real and EV winnings go pretty much parallel. So you're not running above EV for a long time anymore really. It's still all the result of the first 5K hands that bumped your profits up??

Correct me if I'm wrong.
      Nice graph btw!
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      @ juice lol agreed :)

@ka0s i think your spot on with your assessment if u view it as ev versus showdown winnings.

i think my showdown/non showdown lines have a really interestign dynamic. when one rises the other falls and vice versa. as if one componsates for the other to keep me in profit :D

its kinda unusual to see a non showdown winnings to run better than ev i think!

i tend to take the money fast with weaker holdings and i like to extract max profit going to the show with my stronger hands.
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by trent86
      I am under the impression you cant affect your performance relative to EV line.

It is just variance and no one ever posts their graph where they run well above EV for 10k + hands.
      my winnings line is above ev for 43k hands. its not due to varience either, its playstyle.
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Im constantly above ev, so i disabled any form of ev indication in my HEM. Im in denile, but it tilts me tbh :D

-Jack
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      @ishindar mine is also way above EV and that is for like 80k hands. i ran extreme well in august and the gap was never closed again. and yes its only due to variance.

@Jack: lol i also only pay attention to my ev line when it is telling me what i want to hear
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008
      Im constantly above ev, so i disabled any form of ev indication in my HEM. Im in denile, but it tilts me tbh :D

-Jack
      Yah, I should quit watching the EV too I think.
      Denial or denile, don't care :tongue:
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      @ishindar mine is also way above EV and that is for like 80k hands. i ran extreme well in august and the gap was never closed again. and yes its only due to variance.

@Jack: lol i also only pay attention to my ev line when it is telling me what i want to hear
      @ raun we all know its due to your unique brilliance :)
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      Originally posted by kingdippy2008

-Jack
      Yah, I should quit watching the EV too I think.
      Denial or denile, don't care :tongue:
      pfft im only a mod, its not like my spelling should be perfect o.O

and yes english is my first and only language :D

but seriously dont spend time worrying about ev line, this time should be spent on improving your game or playing some more!

-Jack
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      It's just psychology :
      - Negative day ? Look at EV line, oh I got bad luck, it's ok
      - Positive day ? Don't look at EV line, it might be negative and spoil the fun