[NL20-NL50] NL50 AQo vs flopdonk

• GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      I have a fair bit of success raising donkbets on the flop, but since I'm laying $15 to win $15, it had better be working >50%.

I have the key ace, so it's less likely that his donk is a semibluff. Looks more like a lead out with 99-JJ asking me "do you really have aces?" Or, it is Ax saying "I don't think that flop hit you either".

I very rarely see a lead out when villain actually flops a set. Finally, I have no negative implied odds, as I can toss the hand away pretty quick in the event of a raise!

Thoughts?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.25/$0.5 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)

Known players:
      MP1:
      $54.10
      MP2:
      $75.00
      MP3:
      $30.00
      CO:
      $38.60
      BU(Hero):
      $59.40
      SB:
      $50.00
      BB:
      $50.75
      UTG1:
      $50.00
      UTG2:
      $23.50

Preflop: Hero is BU with A, Q.
      3 folds, MP2 raises to $1.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $4.50, 2 folds, MP2 calls $3.00.

Flop: ($9.75) 5, 3, 8 (2 players)
      MP2 bets $6.00, Hero raises to $15.00, MP2 folds, Hero gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $15.75.
  • 4 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      interesting
      Mostly when players are leading out on drawy board they are going bet/3-bet
      turning your hand into bluff is not terrible, although not sure how often it works
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      I feel that the 3bet pot donk is a really rare thing for me to be facing, as I often just call and take a flop with position. AQo is around the borderline for me to 3bet here, so my sample size for this kind of bluff is really small.

A high % of the time, I think that the flop donk is a disappointed bet. The player doesn't have a hand big enough to call or checkraise the impending contibet, so they take one cheap stab at the pot before giving up. That's my feeling, as I used to do it a lot.

In a 3bet pot with initiative, position, and only A-high, how do you handle it? Can't call with this hand, can only raise or fold, right?

Could you call, then bluff a blank on the turn? That way, if they do have a draw, they aren't getting as good odds. Feels really weird to "float" like this though. It looks weak, and gives up the initiative we developed preflop by 3betting. Furthermore, that's just not how I would play AA in that spot, I'd play it like I played this hand, by reraising a donk on a drawy board, so it is harder to imagine what hand I'm representing by call flop bet turn.

Of course, folding is an option. I just don't know if it is better than raising/bluffing.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GrantJennings
      I feel that the 3bet pot donk is a really rare thing for me to be facing, as I often just call and take a flop with position. AQo is around the borderline for me to 3bet here, so my sample size for this kind of bluff is really small.

A high % of the time, I think that the flop donk is a disappointed bet. The player doesn't have a hand big enough to call or checkraise the impending contibet, so they take one cheap stab at the pot before giving up. That's my feeling, as I used to do it a lot.

In a 3bet pot with initiative, position, and only A-high, how do you handle it? Can't call with this hand, can only raise or fold, right?

Could you call, then bluff a blank on the turn? That way, if they do have a draw, they aren't getting as good odds. Feels really weird to "float" like this though. It looks weak, and gives up the initiative we developed preflop by 3betting. Furthermore, that's just not how I would play AA in that spot, I'd play it like I played this hand, by reraising a donk on a drawy board, so it is harder to imagine what hand I'm representing by call flop bet turn.

Of course, folding is an option. I just don't know if it is better than raising/bluffing.
      yes, when he donks to you, you likely have two options. fold or raise.
      If you think player is making a move, then raise is fine, but often they would like to protect their hand, which they lead out on drawy board.
      I think raise is fine, just you should have reads that player can donk/fold on that board.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      cool, thanks. Makes sense.