$0.58
      UTG2:
      $6.34
      MP3:
      $11.54
      Hero:
      $6.17

0.02/0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q:club: , A:heart:
      UTG1 folds, UTG2 raises to $0.15, 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.15, Hero raises to $0.70, BU folds, SB calls $0.56 (All-In), 2 folds, MP3 calls $0.55.

Flop: ($2.18) Q:spade: , 9:heart: , 6:spade: (2 players)
      MP3 bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($4.18) 3:heart: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($4.18) 5:club: (2 players)
      MP3 checks, Hero...?

UTG2 is a fish and I saw him/her raise with J7s from UTG, so I figure AQo is good enough for his raising range. MP3 has been very tight and only calls. I give him the benefit of the doubt and maybe he's looking for a set, so I decided to 3bet x4ish and try to take the pot there. This is a deepstack table, so he has a rough Call10 for a set. SB's AI is irrelevant in the hand.

I hit my Q for TPTK and his range definately doesn't include AA/KK/QQ given his line of betting, but still I decided to play for pot control in case of a set. He donks on the flop but I think that could mean he had Qx or QK or I could be in for a split with another AQ. I call instead or raising as I would only make worse hands folds and better hands (sets) push. I don't think a draw donks here.

Turn is standard with a Check behind, and now he has shown weakness, possibly a bluff. River brings a blank, and since he showed weakness on the turn, I think bet half pot for value against weaker hands and fold against a push is the best line here, unless he minraises which makes it a call since I'd be committed?

This was a very difficult hand for me but it was a very interesting one.
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

SB's all-in isn't totally irrelevant, it sweetens the pot for MP3 to overcall with better odds so i think it's possible for him to show up with some middle suited connected cards that hit this board good sometimes.

Unless he's really tricky he's probably bet more with a set to protect, and he'd definitely not check the turn to you. I think you have to get the money in at some point because he very rarely has a better hand, and if he has a worse hand he's very unlikely to put in anymore money unless he improves. Some players will look you up on the river sometimes with TT/9x if you check back the turn, but if he really is tight he's mostly looking for an excuse to fold such hands.

I'd say the tougher the player, the more you need to raise/call the flop, but against most tags calling the flop and going broke on a blank turn will be fine.

Hope it helps.