Strategy needed

• Chymera
      Chymera
      Bronze
      Hy guys! Although i have read and understand almost all of the articles posted in the articles I need some advice from you, experienced players. The problem is the following: there's a group of players among my friends with who I actually play SnG every day. The deal is that they stick to their cards and bluffing them is impossible because if they have the lowest pair on the table they won't throw it away. They always play their hole cards if there's a face up among them, the kicker doesn't matter. And here's the problem. If I adopt their style and play those cards they play in most cases the flop won't fit me, if I wait to have very good starting hands or the blinds will eat me or they will discover that I always play with strong hands and most of them will throw their cards away after the flop and I win so little that I won't be able to reach the top 3. This is usually a 10-12 handed tourney. If you have any good advice, please share it with me, I would very thankful.
  • 4 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Dont start playing these hands. you can play any two picture cards though (from late pos). If you have second pair yourself, try to play small ball poker (use small bets - like 1/3 of pot or so - in live games they do not notice).
      Dont try to bluff them. And usually, sticking to good hands will be profitable. I dont think that they throw their hands away always when you raise.
      And on the beginning - play your top range only and do setmining - soon they should take out eachother while you just sit there and fold.
      Usually in home sngs there isnt much poker to be played, because blind leves are fairly aggressive, so you just have to be patient and one day you wil win :P
      Also remember - you want to play the opposite of table style. When they are tight, you are loose, when they are loose, you are tight. So sticking to good hands is profitable.
    • Chymera
      Chymera
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot for the help, I appreciate each comment. You know this is a daily event and we play 3-4 sng a day so it would be a very profitable hobby. :) usually I win one sng a day but I want to be better and win even one more tourney a day. So as I've said before all comments are welcome. And thanks again for the help!
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      What i'd do there, is to wait for decent hands like KT, AK, AA, QQ, QJs etc.

When you hit top pair just shamelessly valuebet it, something like this:

If pot is 600 just put in 300, then 400, then 500.

If the situation is as you desribe you can just milk em as you want.
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      some good advice here, the looser the table the tighter you need to play. Pretty soon your friends will notice you only play strong hands and will fold whenever you enter the pot - when this happens you can start bluffing but dont do it too much, try to choose a time when a bluff will help you the most. (just after the blinds go up for instance).