The ICM Trainer and micro SnGs

• gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Hey guys,
      So I think i've almost got the hang of the ICM Trainer... I'm getting about 88% correct; but I'm still getting busted out on the bubble all the time in the $1 SnG's on PartyPoker. The variance is fucking horrible... I almost always get my chips in good, then they suck out on me. The problem I seem to have is that I'm always going All-In more than other players; they seem to never go all-in preflop. They'll call to see the flop even with 3bb. It's bad play, but it seems to work for them because they can fold if they've suddenly fallen behind. I play excellent push/fold poker, but because I'm shoving so many times in late game I find I get sucked out... My weak aces get beaten by J8, my 99's get beaten by Q2, my AK gets beaten by 93o. Its just horrible. I'm starting to think that maybe there are some serious problems with my strategy.
      Soooo what do you guys think? How much % should I be getting correct in the ICM Trainer to be successfully crushing $1 SnG's? (My early and mid phase play is good; i almost never get good hands and I always try to double up when I do... I rarely bust out before push/fold).

Any hints on general SnG play?
  • 7 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      There is 25% rake on the 1$ SNGs at Party if I remember correctly which means you have to really kick those other player asses in you want to win money.
      Anyway, just keep training with the ICM trainer and reading articles and stuff. Once you understand all the articles and score over 95% on ICM trainer every time you should be able to beat any microstakes SNGs on any site.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice;
      The only problem i'm finding (apart from the CONSTANT bad beats) is that I am always really shortstacked when I get to Late phase. How can I avoid this if I get NO good hands in early/middle phase??
      I'm playing exactly according to the articles and scoring really well on ICM trainer and my bankroll is already half what it started as. I don't think I can keep doing this; if this is how swingy SnG's are i'm going to have to go back to SSS cash games, which i HATE because of the fucking suckouts. It seriously seems that everywhere I go on PartyPoker there are fish just waiting to take my chips when my AK gets cracked by their J8. If I can't start getting ITM on these SnG's i'm either going to a). stop playing online poker or b). withdraw all my money from PartyPoker and move to another site.
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      Best thing you can do is attend to coachings and post hands.
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      From my experience, it's not the rake or bad beats that kill you, but the blind levels. With 3 min blinds (5 mins if you move up to $3, while MUCH better than 3 mins, it's still a killer with the rake) and 25% rake, beating the micros Party is a tiring task indeed. I've seen others say it can be done, but why bother killing yourself trying to beat these stakes when there are much softer tables on other poker rooms? You can gradually ease yourself into that kind of hellish examination later when the cash you earn is actually worth the effort you put in.
    • gedwashere91
      gedwashere91
      Bronze
      Cool thanks for the advice,
      Which other poker site would you recommend for SnGs? I'm strongly leaning towards Full Tilt, mostly because I can't get Stars tracked to my PokerStrategy account.

Another question: What settings should I have ICM trainer set to? Are the default ones fine?
    • vladd20
      vladd20
      Bronze
      it s harder to beat micro t party but it can be done i have a sample size of 2500 sngs of 3 dollar with roi 17 % but i m more experienced i played so many because of a challenge 88 percent with the icm is just awfull and it s more than icm you should try examine your game with sng wizard and give your opponents corect hand ranges....and try to attend some coachings to learn new moves .... i found out that especially when it s the middle phase you should try squeezing more and over push insted of raising ... and ... by that i mean with better cards than you re opponents range...
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Bronze
      Originally posted by LgWz
      Best thing you can do is attend to coachings and post hands.
      +1

Working with the ICM manager will help u a great deal but as said before aim to have 95%+ correct decisions. Everything else is quantity and experience from actual game play. It's true u will face a shitload of suckouts but if u'll look around the forums u'll find pretty soon that everyone playing any type of poker does as well.