position playing

• altkiki
      altkiki
      Bronze
      hello, beginner here :)

i can't seam to fully understand the position it self!! meaning, in the first articles i've read, they say that for instance a 10 handed table has big blind (BB) small blind (SB) under the gun (UTG1, UTG2, UTG3 - early position) middle position (MP1, MP2, MP3), cut off (CO) and button (BU), the last 2 as late position. and then if there's only 9 players you won't have any UTG1 left (only UTG2 and UTG3). the situation gets mor complicated for me when it comes down to 5 or 6 players. in this situation according to the theory there would be SB, BB, MP3 (or even MP2 if 6 handed), CO and BU. ok, so far so good.
      what i don't understand is in case of 5 or 6 players MP2 and MP are considered to be in middle position or early position?? beacouse for instance if i'm in this situation of 5 or 6 handed, and i'm in the MP2 or MP3 position and i hold let's say AQ or TT and the tournament is in the middle phase, according to the middle phase chart, AQ and TT should be folded in early position and raised in middle or late position, and i don't know how to act beacouse i'm not sure in wich position am i afterall middle or early....

if anyone can make this detail clear for me i would really apreciate it... MP2 and MP3 in a 5/6 handed table are unde the gun afterall so wich one is it, middle position or under the gun?
  • 4 replies
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      "if i'm in this situation of 5 or 6 handed, and i'm in the MP2 or MP3 position and i hold let's say AQ or TT and the tournament is in the middle phase, according to the middle phase chart, AQ and TT should be folded in early position and raised in middle or late position, and i don't know how to act beacouse i'm not sure in wich position am i afterall middle or early...."

In a 5 or 6 handed tournment, the early positions from a 10 player table are no longer there so all the middle positions become early positions. Think of it as eliminating all the early position players. The late positions (button, cutoff, small and big blind) are still the same cause they have not been moved. Only thing is since early positions are no longer there, the middle positions become early positions. As for the chart, you should still follow the early position if you are the first/second to act (remember, all early positions are gone, so the middle positions become early position).

Just remember that UTG means that you are FIRST TO ACT, it doesn't matter if you were in middle position before. I hope this helps, :)
    • altkiki
      altkiki
      Bronze
      thanks a lot for the answer this lightens the theory a little bit but still :) , from what you're saying i can seam to find the middle position....:) so if from 10 players (or 9 how it is on pokerstars) they get down to 5 or 6 there won't be any middle position left actualy....

where can i find detailed explainations and theories about the position and how early and middle position are defined in 5, 6 handed situation?
    • badpinguin
      badpinguin
      Bronze
      the early positions are the first to go. So with 5 or6 you have no early position
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      Yea, what badpinguin said, sorry for the confusion.