HELP - My Poker quest, turn $1 into a $10K BR

• Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      Hello all at PS,

I am a new member to PS and like most people probably do, blew through my $50 starting capital. Well technically I have about $0.40 left on Party Poker. I am also new to blogging, so please bare with me. I have had it with winning money, and blowing it. I have decided (1 week ago I started) to go on a poker quest for greatness. To pull the Chris "Jesus" Ferguson, and turn $1 into $10,000. I am looking for insight as to help me blog my writings properly, and any help from fellow players and articles on this site or anywhere to help me learn more. I am ambitious and willing to take the time to read, and learn any material. I will post the first few of my writing sessions which just contain random material of how I'm playing, what games I'm playing, how I'm running and how the BR is holding up. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to try and help me through this or even gives it a read, glad to be a part of the community!!

My Quest: Turn $1 into a poker bankroll.....
      Nov 24th
      Recently I was playing on Pokerstars, and noticed my small bankroll fluctuating far too often and in too large of leaps and bounds. I have studied bankroll management but never seem to apply it well enough, yet I can speak about it with my peers and tell them what to do and how to avoid going bust, while I still end up going bust. I suppose I am not great on practicing what I preach, until now I hope. I have a bad habit of buying into tournaments and cash games that are too high for whatever bankroll I may be playing at that specific time, since like I said, it fluctuates like crazy. I was down to my last $1 two days ago, Nov. 24th , 2009. This is when I decided to take this quest, and see if it can be done. Build a bankroll from $1 like Chris “Jesus” Ferguson did. I consider myself a pretty good poker player, who has profited every year since I’ve been playing, live and online. That one key holding me back from greater things, is my bankroll management of course. Equipped with what I think are above average skills, the drive to study and become better during this time, the love of the game, and 1 single dollar to begin with, I will go on this quest to build (and keep) a healthy bankroll to begin a more serious and advanced poker career. This is now Nov. 26th, 2009, and I have built my roll up to just shy of $24 by playing $1.10 SNGs, $1.10 MTTs, and $0.01/0.02 cash games buying in for $1-$1.50. I haven’t had a losing session yet, although I know it is bound to happen, probably soon! I will keep my spirits high, my studying frequent, and my brain focused on the task at hand, bankroll management and achieving the what some could believe not possible! I will keep updating every day or two on my progress to see how the BR is holding up. Ciao for now....
      Mogzz
  • 23 replies
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      I would always advise buying in with a full stack (enable auto rebuy to max if your platform supports it) unless your playing a specific short stack strategy, you don't want to be in a postion on the river of only being able to win 50 big blinds with the nuts when you could of won 100 big blinds.
      Bank roll management is very important, yesterday I was $15 short of nl25 (I need 25 buyins before I move up), was very tempted to move up there and then. Today taught me a lesson, on my quest for the illusive $15 I lost $80. Some bad play but mainly bad beats, this just reminded me of its importance as poker can be very swingy.

Currently still on nl10 with my original $50 from poker strategy, Bank Roll $535.

Will be keeping a watch on this blog and good luck in your quest.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      My advice: just deposit another 50$ and multitable NL SSS 10. When you will reach 200$-300$, you can switch to another form of poker (BSS, SNG, DONs etc.) You simply will save time.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      In order to reach 10k your going to have to play some mass volume on the micro to have even a decent roll for the low stakes stakes... people like jesus who did something like this are not afraid of playing with short bankroll because they are never prone to end up in a place were they have the chance of going busto and on top of the fact that he can hold his own in the highest stakes with some of the best players in the world gives him a HUGE edge at micro/low even mid stakes.
      I hope you don't exepct to have 10k any time soon.

Also about blog writing try not to have giant blocks of text like your first post... it really makes it hard to read try to write less and/or use paragraphs.
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      Thanks for the advice guys,

Flopraiser, I will keep the max buy-ins in mind. As of right now I am mainly playing SNG's to build the bankroll up. Good job on getting your starting capital up too!

Harleytopper, as much as I would like to throw another $50 on that would kinda defeat the purpose of starting from $1 only right?!

KidPokersKid, I am playing anywhere from 6-8 tables at a time, mostly SNG's with 1-2 cash. I have no expectations of reaching this goal anytime soon, that would just be dreaming. I am going to follow the specific guidelines, and keep tabs of it in this blog and see how I make out, and how long it really will take. For "jesus" it took him about 9 months just to get to 100 and some odd dollars, then about 5 more to hit $1000. By the time he hit about $1000 though it only took him about 2 more to go from that to the $10K goal. So no rush for me either!

As of right now, I am one week into the journey. I will spare a lot of the stuff I have written from the last few days and keep it simple. 2 days ago, I was running great and took a 2nd and 3rd in two 90 man $1 sng's which did wonders for the roll. Yesterday however, I couldn't win a race or nearly a pot for that matter to save my life. Today was a bit better though when I took a 4th and 1st in two 90 man's also!

Currently right now my BR is sitting at $67.92 which I am more then happy with for 1 week of play starting from $1. I think I will focus mostly on the 90 man's since I have been having the best success with them.

Of course any more advice/help/insight is much appreciated, thanks again...Peace!
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      Probably not the best idea mixing sit and goes with cash games as they are completely different strategies.
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      True true, it's normally not, but just playing $0.01/$0.02 cash games on the side doesn't seem to get in the way of my SNG strategy. Helps me earn a little bit more throughout the day. Once I get the BR high enough though I will stop mixing games, thanks dude!
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      I can't believe some of the things that are happening to me on Pokerstars lately. It almost seems like they willl give you a good session, then just strip you of your pride and a chunk of your BR the next time you decide to play. I am getting sick of losing 9/10 50/50's and getting 2 and 3 outtered NON STOP!! If Pokerstars was a person, I would enjoy punching him in the face. I'm sure I can't be the only one who feels this way!!! X(
    • flopraiser
      flopraiser
      Bronze
      Party Poker is just the same, 1 minute you feel almost invincible, the next it doesn't matter which way you turn there's a donk waiting to take your money of you with his 2 outs. I know how you feel, have lost 10 buy-ins in 2 days now after making over 30 during last month. I am going to keep trying to play my A game, stop any time I make a stupid call or raise as i'm tilting. I'm not going to judge my progress untill the end of the month when hopefully I have played 20-30k hands. In the mean time i'll stick to the bank roll management and move up/down a limit when necesary.
    • Hahaownedlolz
      Hahaownedlolz
      Bronze
      if you turned $1 into $67in 1 week with MTT then you have been running VERY good. so you shouldn't complain now that your running bad once. MTT are also very swingy, you can lose 10 in a row and then cash in the next 2 and still make a profit.

I'm the complete opposite.. i run bad 90% of the time. ahwel, i will reach the $100 mark eventualy.

And i doubt Chris Ferguson was that busy with the challenge if it took him 9 months to turn $1 into $100. if he actualy spent all his time on it he could have probably done that in a week or even less.
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      Ya I'm sure "Jesus" could've done it much faster. I try not to take the bad beats too hard and get into complaining, but it was some of the worst I've ever ran in my life. Thank god I wasn't playing some higher limits.

I guess I could've actually called this challenge, the $0 - $10K since I did TECHNICALLY start from $0. Took 3rd in one of the 10 FPP tourneys out of 3662 players for a whopping $32.50. It was when that was reduced to the $1 mark that I decided on this challenge.

Too bad that you seem to be running that bad, just keep playing solid and you will get that BR up!!

Also I was looking for anybody to help me out with some of these abbreviations that I see all over this site. I want/need to learn EVERYTHING I can possibly soak up into my head. For example I saw SSS and I think DNG, or DON??? I can't remember exactly if those are correct or not!? Any others you can think of too would be much appreciated.

It sucks that during this adventure I won't be able to earn strategy points as I already had my Pokerstars account, and I think it would be weird to make a deposit on another site and play higher limits while playing micro on stars trying to achieve this.

BR sitting at an even $55 at the moment. Going to play later this evening as I need a break from these ridiculous beats for the afternoon!! Peace 4 now....

Mogzz
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Originally posted by Intalekt613
      If Pokerstars was a person, I would enjoy punching him in the face. X(
    • MrPavlos
      MrPavlos
      Global
      Originally posted by Intalekt613
      If Pokerstars was a person, I would enjoy punching him in the face. X(
      me 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :f_cool:

gl with ur journey amigo,few things i wanna say are

a)study and understand the game

b)dont mix up different games at the same time

c)download a program like hem/pt3/elephant to be able to do session reviews.Then analyze on ur own the spots that make u lose more $$$ and try to avoid em

d)respect ur br like its ur last money on earth

Best of luck again

Cheers
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by KidPokersKid
      people like jesus who did something like this are not afraid of playing with short bankroll because they are never prone to end up in a place were they have the chance of going busto and on top of the fact that he can hold his own in the highest stakes with some of the best players in the world gives him a HUGE edge at micro/low even mid stakes.
      I stand to be corrected, but I'm fairly certain that Chris Ferguson's challenge was an exercise in disciplined BRM, to demonstrate it's crucial importance in playing poker profitably.

If you learn that lesson you at least stand a chance - GL!
    • fuzzygoggle
      fuzzygoggle
      Bronze
      sss = short stack strategy everything you need to know here
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/no-limit/

DON = double or nothing sit n gos
      basically 10/6 ppl enter top 5/3 get double their buyin back
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/sng/1458/

both are good ways to build a bankroll at the low stakes

gl @ the tables
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the feedback and criticism! I will read through those articles momentarily fuzzy, thanks dude.

Mrpavlos, thanks to you too man, I will respect my BR like it is my last money on earth. I do not want to have to start this challenge over again at $1 lol! Is there any of these programs that are free downloads to analyze my play or do I have to pay for them all!?!? Money is getting tighter with Christmas about to pop around the corner!!

Good luck at the tables to you all!! Peace!
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      Hey what's up guys, if anybody has some links to advanced articles I would really appreciate them so I can do some studying!! :f_cool:

Also if anybody knows if there are programs to download on the internet that are free or do they ALL cost money!??!

Thanks,

Mogzz
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Poker Tracker 3

Holdem Manager

Both have free trial periods... of course there is also the PS.com Elephant which has the advatage of having a free trial plus being free once you get 1000 strategy points.

The only way to access the advanced articles is to understand the basic/bronze articles, apply that knowledge and grind like a monkey boy.

GL :f_thumbsup:
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      Right on Waiboy, thanks for the info. I guess I will have to make a deposit on one of the other sites so I can earn some strategy points and unlock the elephant and other articles, since I am not earning any on this journey of mine on Pokerstars. :(

What would your preference be for programs, and also a site to play on. I don't want Partypoker, and of course it can't be stars, but I'm willing to try one of the others to earn some SP's.

Thanks again dude :D

Peace,

Mogzz
    • Intalekt613
      Intalekt613
      Bronze
      What's up everyone,

I think for 9 days my journey seems to be off to a good start. I have accumulated from my original $1 a bankroll of $91.75 as of right now. I have been crushing the $1.10 45 man turbos on Pokerstars. I think I will wait til I reach the $100 mark the limit up to $2-3!?!?!? Any insight??

Anywho, still looking for suggestions on a site to deposit on so I can earn some darn strategy points to unlock more articles and videos...For obvious reasons, it can't be stars since that is where I'm doing this quest, and not partypoker either please, thanks!!! :s_biggrin:

~Mogzz