SSS - Are you really just rake whoring?

• PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Hi,

If your playing SSS without rakeback is it really worth while playing it? What i mean is, iv been learning and playing it for the last 5 days (18k hands played so far) And you dont seem to get anywhere far. But i have earnt a shite load of rakeback 12 tabling which i'll get payed on friday. What im asking is: IS most of your income ment to come/does come from rakeback? SSS is natrually swingey and i guess playing where you earn the most $$$ is important but is this how SSS is ment to work? Or isit just me thinking we're a bunch of rakeback/bonus whores?
  • 17 replies
    • Fagin
      Fagin
      Bronze
      Hi,

I play SSS without any rakeback and with no bonus to work towards. I play 4-8 tables at a time at NL20 and when none are free I will switch down to NL10. Since getting my $50 about 2 months ago I have won over $160. Combining some MTT winnings my BR is now at $300.

So IMHO SSS is profitable at low limits and is an excellent way to build a BR - and I can't be considered a RB whore as I get none.

GL at the tables

Fagin
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      As said before SSS is good BR builder. With starting 50$ you can't choose to play all forms of poker, but with 500$ you can. Some guys just love this style and sticks with it.
    • Abhorrence
      Abhorrence
      Silver
      I've actually been thinking about this lately.

Allow me to play devils advocate for a second.

SS'ing doesn't seem very profitable for a number of reason. One string of bad luck can instantly wipe out everything you've earned in the past few days. I've had this happen to me on a few ocassions. Or the blinds simple eat away at your bankroll, because you can't get any decent hole cards, and when you do you get no action.

SS'ing really does feel like its just about the rakeback, and if you're not getting any then whats the point?

It's still a decent strat though don't get me wrong. I'm just iffy about it haha
    • ksh198
      ksh198
      Bronze
      SSS is like fucking without cuming, that's it
    • Spiderwebz
      Spiderwebz
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ksh198
      +1

I understand beginners playing SSS but i can't understand why they stick to it and don't switch to BSS when they get enough experience and are rolled for it.
    • Renmerb
      Renmerb
      Bronze
      +1

Haha!
      And there's nothing worse than that!!
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fagin
      Hi,

I play SSS without any rakeback and with no bonus to work towards. I play 4-8 tables at a time at NL20 and when none are free I will switch down to NL10. Since getting my $50 about 2 months ago I have won over $160. Combining some MTT winnings my BR is now at $300.

So IMHO SSS is profitable at low limits and is an excellent way to build a BR - and I can't be considered a RB whore as I get none.

GL at the tables

Fagin
      I'm not saying its not profitable ;) Just im questioning where the majority of the $$$ lies. I switched from BSS a couple of weeks ago to experiment to see if playing SSS at higher limits than i do BSS would be more profitable...ofcourse im still learning it atm so staying in my confort zone. But it does seem you earn just as much through rakeback as you do through actual profit.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by harleytopper
      As said before SSS is good BR builder. With starting 50$ you can't choose to play all forms of poker, but with 500$ you can. Some guys just love this style and sticks with it.
      Fair comment
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Abhorrence
      I've actually been thinking about this lately.

Allow me to play devils advocate for a second.

SS'ing doesn't seem very profitable for a number of reason. One string of bad luck can instantly wipe out everything you've earned in the past few days. I've had this happen to me on a few ocassions. Or the blinds simple eat away at your bankroll, because you can't get any decent hole cards, and when you do you get no action.

SS'ing really does feel like its just about the rakeback, and if you're not getting any then whats the point?

It's still a decent strat though don't get me wrong. I'm just iffy about it haha
      I'm glad im not the only one questioning this. I'm not saying its not a good strat either, just questioning if the majority of the income is from rakeback...If so Zillion tabling isnt a bad thing.

Obviously its swingey, but it does seem there are more fustrating sessions or dull sessions than pawnning everyone or heater sessions.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Fair. It may lack excitment ;) But it does have advantages such as been simpler to play thus enabling alot more tables to be played...and if rakeback is a large part of SSS profit then its not such a bad thing. I'd rather make more money and be more board tan having more fun and making less money.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      So far though no ones answered the question as to wether a large part of the profit is infact from rakeback (If you have rakeback). X(
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I'm playing on Party and get no rakeback, yet i'm making a profit off SS'ing on NL10. Obviously when i'm rolled for it I would like to change to BSS but at the moment SSS is doing me just fine :)
    • RahXephon1
      RahXephon1
      Bronze
      I will give you some speculative figures:

rake/100 hand 3,5/4,5bb

rakeback 1/1,5bb on 100 hands

average winnings of a solid masstabler 0,5-2,0bb/100 hands

Playing less tables can probably get you to 5 or 6 bb/100

So as you see rakeback is almost as important as winnings unless you are really good and focus on opponents and tables a lot.
    • arisko
      arisko
      Bronze
      Well, I can tell you that when I played SSS I remember that at one time when I actually counted it I had a 50$ profit but with 200$ RB at about 30% RB making it 250$ total. That was during a bad time though, but still I think that some people have more profit than rakeback, others more rakeback than profit. It depends on how many tables you're playing and how focused you are able to be.

I guess there's no real answer since SSS can be played in different ways. There's no question about if it's profitable, as long as you have patience. I wouldn't be able to keep SSSing all the time, but dividing maybe 70%BSS and 30% SSS is a good way of playing.
    • RuLeR1988
      RuLeR1988
      Bronze
      OFC rakeback its a BIG PART of the profit of ANY micro-low poker player(doesnt matter if he plays BSS or SSS)...especially in this days when poker is tougher and tougher and i think thats not all yet...in 2-3 years you wont think at showing any profit...u will be happy with the rakeback > just only my opinion <

cya
    • AJSK
      AJSK
      Bronze
      In a game that's full of variance, rakeback is probably the most reliable means of making profit assuming that you are at least breakeven. And because of the nature of SSS, you're naturally going to generate more rake/loyalty points (although this can vary by poker site, this generally is true) than a player who plays BSS on slightly lower stakes so I think you could say that SSS are rakeback whores in that sense.
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      I wish i had rakeback, :( Partypoker doesn't have any and $1 SNGs are killing me at the moment. Getting bad beats like crazy.