A hand that is bugging me

• thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      this is a hand i played today that's gonna be irritating me when im trying to sleep tonight. Did i play it right? Thoughts? im the guy who gets stuck, which you probably gathered anyway.

Full Tilt Poker Game #16479513173: Table Strasburg (6 max) - $0.25/$0.50 - No Limit Hold'em - 16:12:53 ET - 2009/12/02
      Seat 1: yamchae ($64.95)
      Seat 2: Rob Foreman ($57.60)
      Seat 3: Mahdouche ($10.85)
      Seat 4: Van Dolar ($50)
      Seat 5: Komerestos55 ($52.30)
      Seat 6: JC Rockets ($59.45)
      Van Dolar posts the small blind of $0.25
      Komerestos55 posts the big blind of $0.50
      The button is in seat #3
      *** HOLE CARDS ***
      Dealt to Rob Foreman [Qc Qs]
      JC Rockets has 15 seconds left to act
      JC Rockets raises to $1.50
      yamchae has 15 seconds left to act
      yamchae has requested TIME
      yamchae folds
      Rob Foreman calls $1.50
      Mahdouche calls $1.50
      Van Dolar folds
      Van Dolar adds $0.25
      Komerestos55 folds
      *** FLOP *** [9d 3c 4d]
      JC Rockets has 15 seconds left to act
      JC Rockets checks
      Rob Foreman bets $3.50
      Mahdouche folds
      JC Rockets calls $3.50
      *** TURN *** [9d 3c 4d] [Tc]
      JC Rockets bets $8.25
      Rob Foreman has 15 seconds left to act
      Rob Foreman raises to $21.50
      JC Rockets raises to $54.45, and is all in
      Rob Foreman has 15 seconds left to act
      Rob Foreman calls $31.10, and is all in
      JC Rockets shows [9s 9h]
      Rob Foreman shows [Qc Qs]
      Uncalled bet of $1.85 returned to JC Rockets
      *** RIVER *** [9d 3c 4d Tc] [7c]
      JC Rockets shows three of a kind, Nines
      Rob Foreman shows a pair of Queens
      JC Rockets wins the pot ($114.45) with three of a kind, Nines
      Rob Foreman adds $50
      *** SUMMARY ***
      Total pot $117.45 | Rake $3
      Board: [9d 3c 4d Tc 7c]
      Seat 1: yamchae didn't bet (folded)
      Seat 2: Rob Foreman showed [Qc Qs] and lost with a pair of Queens
      Seat 3: Mahdouche (button) folded on the Flop
      Seat 4: Van Dolar (small blind) folded before the Flop
      Seat 5: Komerestos55 (big blind) folded before the Flop
      Seat 6: JC Rockets showed [9s 9h] and won ($114.45) with three of a kind, Nines
  • 4 replies
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I would 3bet preflop other than that on the turn you have to ask yourself what could he have on such a dry board.
      Without reraising preflop it is really hard to narrow his range, but his betting looks like 2 pair+ maybe JJ but that is a small part of his range.
    • ImAnAcehole9
      ImAnAcehole9
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      I would 3bet preflop other than that on the turn you have to ask yourself what could he have on such a dry board.
      Without reraising preflop it is really hard to narrow his range, but his betting looks like 2 pair+ maybe JJ but that is a small part of his range.
      Yeah agreed, reraise preflop and you'll usually narrow down the range of cards.

I personally would have flat called his turn bet to keep the pot as low as possible (if I thought something was up.

I think a little part of you knew something was up with this player/hand, so go with your instinct. If you felt you were in front you would have pushed lost and moved on, but I think you are posting this because you had a good feeling you were behind but called because you questioned your judgement.

Anyway hindsight is a wonderful thing, don't beat yourself up over this hand, you were in front preflop and he got lucky, move on and don't let it affect your game. You will make a simular play to this example to someone else soon enough and get paid off. ;)
    • thegrouse
      thegrouse
      Bronze
      lol, im impressed imanacehole9. You are pretty much bang on with your post. I knew something was up but i was just in one of those moods when you just don't wanna lay down the hand.

My problem is that im not a fan of 3betting. I find that 3bet pots always tend to spiral out of your control and more often than not, unless you 3betted with AA/KK, you miss the flop. Thing is, you have to 3bet mediocre hands or else you'll never get called when you 3bet with premium hands.

in the above spot, i was about an hour into the session and hadnt made a single 3bet. to raise with the queens would have scared everyone off and i wanted some action. lol, in hindsight i would 3bet and push everyone out, but oh well. Sh!t happens i guess.

cheers for your posts guys.
    • OnkelHotte
      OnkelHotte
      Black
      Hey guys,

I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. This feedback forum should not be used for hand judgment or strategy discussions but your feedback to the educational services PokerStrategy.com provides for you.

So feel free to use this forum to leave any kind of criticism or praise, any organisational questions or suggestions for improvements.

For strategy discussions and hand evaluations please use the dedicated forums.

No Limit Stratedy discussions & Hand evaluations

Fixed Limit Strategy Discussions & Hand Evaluations

SNG+MTT Strategy Discussions & Hand Evaluations