Big laptop>><<

• aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      Hello,

Dad just got a mini laptop to his work, and the thing is, it has no hard disk or whatever the word is, where u put the CD! nd i have my old lap..they both HP..is there any way i can network them, like if i wanna share files btwen them? any ideas on how to do so...??
  • 6 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      CDs go into CD-ROMs. Hard to believe laptop does not have it, must be very old or very specific I suppose? Anyway, you can use USB drive ("flash") to transfer data or you could connect them via LAN ports.

To transfer data with USB: get USB, something like this: . Find a suitable hole to plug it to your laptop :f_biggrin: Transfer data to USB (copy files you want, then launch "my computer", find your USB drive (it will be something like C: (hard disk), D: (CD-ROM), E: (USB), paste copied files), then unplug USB, plug to other laptop, copy data from USB drive to laptop.

LAN: get a wire (in PC store) like this: . Both ends of the wire must look the same. Plug one end to 1 laptop (where you plug your Internet cable), another end to laptop 2. Hopefully automatic detection will sort it all out and you will be able to transfer files :f_cool:
    • Hadi
      Hadi
      Bronze
      Hey,

generally speaking, a good option would be either a USB stick as explained above or an external hard drive. Using an external CD/DVD drive might be a good idea, as well.

As for the network cable, it doesn't work as simple as that ;) If you use a standard RJ-45 cable, you will not get any connectivity without putting a hub, router or switch between the two computers. A crossover cable should do the trick, though :)

Best regards
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      hmm just install win7 on both pc and wireless network ftw :) pc's find each other with np, u dont have to do a thing hehe - at least it worked for me+my friend
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Without router? Wow, what next - self digesting cheeseburger? :f_eek:
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      i have router, whats next how to set it up. ..one lap is Vista and other Xp! plz tell me how step by step, if ya know 0.O its about 12GB of stuff..it would take me like whole day on my 2GB USB !
    • DejaLoin
      DejaLoin
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      CDs go into CD-ROMs. Hard to believe laptop does not have it, must be very old or very specific I suppose?
      Most netbooks don't have it.