This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Hello Strategists!

• YoungCub
      YoungCub
      Bronze
      Hi everyone! I did not notice this section of the forum before so about time I introduced myself! I am a Student living in Swansea, UK. I have been playing poker for over 2 years now. First year was just play chips with friends no money involved. Just grasp the basics behind this fascinating game. Last year we started to play for money, usually £5.00. This made for a completely different game! It was more exciting, bluffs could actually be pulled off and advanced game play could be used. It was great, but to be honest I think I just about broke even. I read Phil Hellmuth's book "Play Poker like the Pros" and Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book". Both of which added something to my game! This year I joined the University's Poker Society, where I'm currently getting my a$$ handed to me :D but it is great experience! The games there are usually quite low stakes, £3 & £5 buy-in tournaments. However, for the first hour there are unlimited re-buys which allows for lots of fish to get really really lucky. So these tournaments are about who has the deepest pocket. Although we have also now started one re-buy tournaments where I do pretty well. I either get close to final table or finish 6th. (we usually start with 3 tables of 9). I have also been watching WSOP. What a final table!! :D Thank God Darvin Moon didn't win. Well played Joe Cada.... he had lots of luck :D . Poker is one of the hottest topics with friends, its great discussing hands and getting a 2nd opinion on how you played the hand. My goals are to become a great live poker player and a decent online poker player so that's why I’m here! That just about sums me up.

Regards
      Evolving Fish :f_cool:
      YoungCub
  • 2 replies
    • YoungCub
      YoungCub
      Bronze
      Just a quick question... Would learning SNG strategy here help me in live tournaments at the poker society? I'm currently learning NL here at PokerStrategy.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Hey YoungCub and welcome to PS!

I believe learning the SnG can definately help your MTT game, but mainly for the end of the tournament when you are in a similar stage to a SnG, stacks of 10BB or something. I think the beginning of a MTT is different and you can loosen up somewhat compared to the standard SnG strategy.

I play SnG's online and mostly MTT's live, I've found it helps. I think the most inportant piece of advice would be to get to know the players, who can you push light on, who will call your pushes lightly etc.

I hope it helps and GL at the tables!!

peche025