Hello Strategists!

• YoungCub
      YoungCub
      Bronze
      Hi everyone! I did not notice this section of the forum before so about time I introduced myself! I am a Student living in Swansea, UK. I have been playing poker for over 2 years now. First year was just play chips with friends no money involved. Just grasp the basics behind this fascinating game. Last year we started to play for money, usually £5.00. This made for a completely different game! It was more exciting, bluffs could actually be pulled off and advanced game play could be used. It was great, but to be honest I think I just about broke even. I read Phil Hellmuth's book "Play Poker like the Pros" and Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book". Both of which added something to my game! This year I joined the University's Poker Society, where I'm currently getting my a$$ handed to me :D but it is great experience! The games there are usually quite low stakes, £3 & £5 buy-in tournaments. However, for the first hour there are unlimited re-buys which allows for lots of fish to get really really lucky. So these tournaments are about who has the deepest pocket. Although we have also now started one re-buy tournaments where I do pretty well. I either get close to final table or finish 6th. (we usually start with 3 tables of 9). I have also been watching WSOP. What a final table!! :D Thank God Darvin Moon didn't win. Well played Joe Cada.... he had lots of luck :D . Poker is one of the hottest topics with friends, its great discussing hands and getting a 2nd opinion on how you played the hand. My goals are to become a great live poker player and a decent online poker player so that's why I’m here! That just about sums me up.

Regards
      Evolving Fish :f_cool:
      YoungCub
  • 2 replies
    • YoungCub
      YoungCub
      Bronze
      Just a quick question... Would learning SNG strategy here help me in live tournaments at the poker society? I'm currently learning NL here at PokerStrategy.
    • peche025
      peche025
      Bronze
      Hey YoungCub and welcome to PS!

I believe learning the SnG can definately help your MTT game, but mainly for the end of the tournament when you are in a similar stage to a SnG, stacks of 10BB or something. I think the beginning of a MTT is different and you can loosen up somewhat compared to the standard SnG strategy.

I play SnG's online and mostly MTT's live, I've found it helps. I think the most inportant piece of advice would be to get to know the players, who can you push light on, who will call your pushes lightly etc.

I hope it helps and GL at the tables!!

peche025