Improving my game

• metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Hello,
      Im getting kind of desperate. I love poker, playing it and learning and improving my game. I started playing sng's but I've won a couple, but lately Ive only been losing and Im down to 20 bucks from my 50$ start...
      I read articles and learn, but I always seem to lose in the end.

Now I dunno if this is normal. Should I continue playing and risk my first bust, or should I give it up ??? Cause as I read all the articles, seems like all the playwers were wunderkinder or something, turning that 50 dollars in millions :P
  • 14 replies
    • noclaninator
      noclaninator
      Bronze
      anything can happen over a small sample size. I would search your hand history for some critical spots, post them in the forums and get some opinions. Don't give up
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      IM not giving up, i just dont rly know which direction to move on now...
    • AlanMCarter
      AlanMCarter
      Bronze
      Hi
      personally I play cash games as you can play short stack strategy or low buy in and the variance is less maybe focus on the strategy and articles for nl or even fixed limit - if you have the patience!! I think the free $50 doesn't go so far on SNG's. Check out the bankroll strategy articles to make sure you are bankroll building correctly

Good luck,

Alan
    • DeLau
      DeLau
      Bronze
      Just stick to good bankroll management, then going busto is practically impossible.
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      NEVER GIVE UP!

PS: try NL cash games, start with NL2
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gabinr1
      NEVER GIVE UP!

PS: try NL cash games, start with NL2
      For real ? Think it's a good idea to improve my bankroll to atleast the original amount ?
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Also one more question, is it worth playing tight agressive on micro limits. Im playing cash NL2 atm and Im playing tight agressive, and Im veeery slowly going up, but seems like all the others are playing a wider range of hands.

Im pretty much only playing pairs, premium hands, and very carefully some connectors.
    • Fongie
      Fongie
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metalDays
      but seems like all the others are playing a wider range of hands.
      And that is why you are winning and they are losing ;) (or should be atleast)
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Fongie
      Originally posted by metalDays
      but seems like all the others are playing a wider range of hands.
      And that is why you are winning and they are losing ;) (or should be atleast)
      Well, I was winning in 1 hour by about 30 cents, which is an improvement compared to all my past games tho :D
    • ironmask92
      ironmask92
      Bronze
      depends on your preference, you could play SNG's, then play some cash games to change things up (NL2 is good). Really depends on what you enjoy playing, trial and error my friend, :)
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      definetly try NL2 BSS
      i was trying several games to see where i could profit more and after trying SNGs, FL FR, FL SH, NL SH and NL FR. after +40k hands the only positive graph i had was NL2 FR BSS, very TAG. That's what kept my BR.
      Now i'm playing 9 to 16 tables of NL5 FR BSS. So far so good.
      I think you should start building your BR in NL2 then NL5 or NL4 and then you'll have enough to start on other games: SNGs, MTTs, NL5 SH.

GL
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      One major thing....

"Do not think about how other people are doing at poker, only concentrate on how you are doing and how you can improve"

There are people that can turn 50 bucks into a big wad of cash right from the first time they start playing poker. This should not matter to you.

Some people lose thier 50 bucks 10 times over when they first start playing poker. This should not matter to you.

Other people slowly move up and down with thier money and hopefully over a life time come out with a positive result either monetarily or through enjoyment of the time spent. This should not matter to you.

The only thing that should matter to you from start to finish of your poker adventure is how you are doing, how you can improve and what is needed to be done to complete the goals that you set.

If you are not a natural at poker, then posting questions like you did is a very good start. If you were playing SNG's which took a chunk out of our bankroll, then moving to a lower limit with less variance like cash is a good thing. Playing a less variance style like TAG is a good thing. Reading the Bronze cash/SNG articles 3 times over is a good thing. Making 30 cents an hour is a good thing over losing 1 cent an hour.

You are on the right path, just hard to see the right path in poker when some many others are zooming every which way around you on so many different paths.

Read all the advice everyone gives you and figure out what advice fits you, your life style, your though patters and your poker style/bankroll the best.

BTW, what site do you play on?
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      ^

Excellent post, thank you very much for that.
      I play at pokerstars btw.
    • NilsAe
      NilsAe
      Bronze
      Maybe you should try playing cash games untill you get your starter money back.
      I myself have played some cash games using the SSS (shortstackstrategy) and it really is very very effective. Just don't lose your patience and stick to the rules of SSS and profit is nearly always guaranteed.

I hope you make it back up :) and remember .. use a good bankroll management!