This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Give up or play on?

• mud1tza
      mud1tza
      Bronze
      I have had so much bad luck in the past few days I just dont know whether I should carry on with poker...

I have been playing lots of fullring STTs and I made some gains, after reading articles and watching Morgoths video several times in the silver section. My bankroll was over $500.

But now I'm consistently losing, finishing ITM only 18% of the time, with loss streaks of 8 or more games at times. Its extremely frustrating, I have been knocked out with the best starting hand in about 75% of the games, including:

AA vs AA
      JJ vs JJ
      AA vs 5Ts (he was a calling station)
      QQ vs AT (I was the pre-flop aggressor, the flop was Q8A, he bet 1/2 pot so I pushed, the turn was an A, the river was a T)

Finally, I played in the 300k gtd tourney last week and today, after qualifying. Last week I made two straights on the turn, only for the river to complete it for my opponent anyway, I didnt really get any other hands. Today I survived for about 1.5 hours, the few hands that I got included KK, AA, AKs, all three of which I lost to much weaker hands. My stack was reduced to 2.5 BB, I pushed all in with A3o, and ofcourse I didnt get any of the luck my opponents have been having and got knocked out.

I really prefer STTs to cash games, I like the way they change as the blinds increase and players get knocked out, and I think for the most part I was playing correctly. I have been reading the articles again, but I should have moved back down the limits sooner, and now my bankroll is now only $92, what would you guys advise?

Should I play to $3 SNGs with the crappy rake?
      Just play some cash games?
      Quit and take the money?

Advice would be really appreciated

- A demoralized mud1tza :(
  • 2 replies
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      Don't worry mud1tza!

It's just a terrible downswing. I think you should take a break, analyze your game, read books and articles and come back with a bigger knowledge. If I'm in a downswing I always take a break of at least two days and the only "poker-thing" I do is reading books/articles and analyzing my game. It has two advantages:
      First: You forget the bad beats and calm down.
      Second: You become a better player.

I hope this helps!
      Puschkin81
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Hi,
      I agree with what puschkin says, take a break! play some TD :D
      I faced a very similar downsing a few weeks ago... I play mostly 10 and 50 person SNG's, and I was up to over 300$, winning consistently, and then...bam just 40$ left...my AA and KK etc got cracked over and over again...
      the one mistake I made was not quitting right away (okay, there was also the mistake of not going down to lower buy-ins...looks like I forget about bankroll management when I'm tilting...)
      So just take a break... if you got to 500$ once, you can do it again...at least you still have a good margin with 92$...
      and to answer your other questions:
      1) NO. too many badbeats at the 3$ tables. you'd be even more disgusted ;)

2) Whatever you like. Either stick to SNGs, or play cashgames if you know you can win (or go read the articles). If you want to take a break from tournaments, I'd suggest setting yourself a goal at the cash tables (like 150$...) before going back to tournaments. It worked for me on my first BIG downsing (though I'm having a bit more trouble this time ;) ) You'll find you're more focused, cause you don't want to have to go back to cashgames :D (ok maybe speaking for myself here)

3) definitely NO. what good will 100$ do? It's not even a day's work, but with all the articles provided here, you can make it grow to alot more ;)