pablomeza
      Bronze
      Known players:       
      BB:
      $10.00
      Hero:
      $10.00

0.05/0.1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Elephant 0.69 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J:diamond: , J:club:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 5 folds, BB calls $0.30.

Flop: ($0.85) T:spade: , 2:spade: , J:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($0.85) 8:heart: (2 players)
      BB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.50, BB calls $1.00.

River: ($3.85) 9:club: (2 players)
      BB bets $3.00, Hero...?

Kicks himself for slowplaying the set on the flop and not getting the money in while ahead? It's so obvious villain has a Qx here.
  • 2 replies
    • MaestroOfZerg
      MaestroOfZerg
      Bronze
      Hi,

Pretty much yes. Checking back top set is fine on textures that are unlikely to bite you in the ass later on, mostly dry stuff like J62r where it's extremely hard for villain to have anything with you having 3 of the 4 jacks. But on drawy boards you'll get yourself in a lot of shit spots, so just bet out and hope he can play with you somehow.

As played you'll see different opinions in these spots. Some think that since you misplayed the flop and totally underrepresented your hand calling is fine, others hate compounding previous mistakes with bigger ones and prefer to just cut the losses by giving credit to people when they bet strong on fugly textures. With no read on the guy, i'd probably just fold, but you might see sometimes busted stuff or overplayed two pairs so calling isn't atrocious either if he seems bad.

Hope it helps.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      This is an excellent example of a strong hand, but one that can't be slowplayed.

This is a good lesson for me too, I sometimes do exactly what you did and have regrets by the river.