This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL20 FR - Boat vs tricky board

• Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Holdem
      CakePoker
      9 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($3.70)
      UTG+1 ($29.51)
      Hero ($20.98)
      MP2 ($12.14)
      MP3 ($19.70)
      CO ($12)
      BTN ($17.63)
      SB ($10.30)
      BB ($23.60)

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 9 players) Hero is MP1 5 5
      2 folds, Hero calls $0.20, 3 folds, BTN calls $0.20, 1 fold, BB checks

Flop: 5 K J ($0.70, 3 players)
      BB bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35, BTN raises to $0.70, BB calls $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

Turn: J ($2.80, 3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.80, BTN calls $1.80, BB folds

River: Q ($6.40, 2 players)
      Hero bets $4, BTN raises to $10, Hero raises to $16

That raise on the river is a bit strange. What can he hold here?

Villain limps Preflop, so he has something in the range of pp, JQ,KQ,JK,KQ, JT,KT,QTand probably suited connectors.

On the Flop he raises a bet and a caller, that means he must have a made hand or he is bluffing ip.

The check on the Turn, means that he was bluffing and is ready to give up, he has a draw, or a strong made hand and it's slowplaying.

I don't see myself not betting the River with a Full House, but can I fold to a raise here? Or can I just call?

I think that here JA, JT would pay us.

What's the best line here? Does his hand scream JQ, JK? Or can I be payed off many times profitable here?
  • 5 replies
    • AninIII
      AninIII
      Bronze
      Hi,

he most probably has QJ or maybe even KJ here.
      Sometimes villain overplays his AJ, maybe JT.
      But I don't like your call on flop after the minraise.
      You have a set and obviously TWO players show interest in getting the pot.
      You still have to protect your hand from QT or KJ f.e.
      So raise it up to 2.50-3.00$.
      As played bet 2.25$ on turn.
      The river card sucks, so maybe check/call is better.

Let's see what the judges think.

Best regards,
      Anin
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      I prefer raising pf
      I think you have nuts on the flop, so you should get all your money all-in, meaning re-raising to 3$ on the flop and shoving if you face another re-raise
      You can bet a little more on the turn, since likely Jx/Kx would call
      River I´d just b/c. There is high % that villain holds KJ/QJ and you don´t have best hand any more
    • Gabinr1
      Gabinr1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I prefer raising pf
      I think you have nuts on the flop, so you should get all your money all-in, meaning re-raising to 3$ on the flop and shoving if you face another re-raise
      Open raising 55 MP1? So I start to OR every pp mp+?

I have the nuts on the Flop, but re-raising wouldn't scare weaker hands that would pay me otherwise?

River I´d just b/c. There is high % that villain holds KJ/QJ and you don´t have best hand any more
      Noted! :s_biggrin:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I don't think you need to be openraising every low PP from MP1+. I prefer a frequency of 60% raises and 40% limps.

Raise it on the flop. Bottom set on this board should be fastplayed, you want to get your money in as early as possible. Easy b/c on the river
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gabinr1
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      I prefer raising pf
      Open raising 55 MP1? So I start to OR every pp mp+?

I have the nuts on the Flop, but re-raising wouldn't scare weaker hands that would pay me otherwise?

Noted! :s_biggrin:
      I would raise first in any pp, since if you limp/call then players can always put you on set if you going to c/r even on drawy boards

Once he min-raise I doubt he is folding to 3-bet on the flop. So hes hand range should remain the same even if you re-raise on the flop