[NL2-NL10] NL5 ATs

• michaelqian
      Hi all

Haven't posted a hand in a while, here's one I would like some advice on.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A, T.
      UTG2 folds, MP1 calls $0.05, Hero calls $0.05, 3 folds, SB calls $0.03, BB checks.

Normally I raise. But I've raised the previous two hands, so I thought I'll just limp in and see a cheap flop. If I raise again, people might think I'm full of shit and fire back at me, which I'll be forced to fold. Is this the right thinking?

Flop: ($0.2) Q, 9, 4 (4 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

I pick up a nice flush draw. Everyone checks and I thought why not take a free card? Should I have bet?

Turn: ($0.2) 6 (4 players)
      SB bets $0.15, BB calls $0.15, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.15.

Turn is a blank, but a bet and a call gives me good odds to call.

River: ($0.65) 6 (3 players)
      SB bets $0.20, BB raises to $0.70, Hero raises to $2.00, SB folds, BB raises to $6.04, Hero calls $2.80(All-In).

I got my flush, but not with a perfect card. This was a difficult spot for me. If I just call BB's raise, I will on most occasions miss out on value. But if I raise, I don't think he'll call me with less than a boat. In the end I decided to raise and ended up being all in. Please comment on river play. Thanks

Final Pot: $11.69.
  • 3 replies
    • dallievas
      Preflop: you can isolate that limper if your table dynamics allow that.ATs is way better card,than the same offsuite.By raising ,you have initiative and buy position too.Limping still can be ok in FR micro tables.
      Flop: Obviously after 3 checks to you when you in position and have such nice amount of equity you should bet.You choose only one way to win with draw- hit and win at showdown.Aggression aka bet adds other way- wining by fold equity.
      Turn: after bet on flop,can continue aggression on turn because you still have equity and FE (I hope HU). As played call is almost correct with direct pot odds but when you include implieds are ok.
      River: a large portion of the time on paired board in micros you should only call because sometimes opps slowplay set even on wet boards.But in this case raise also can be correct because are some worse hands that can call-lower flush,trips from bad opp.Let's think about bb range- he can have anything.How much combos of sets can be in his range (QQ we exclude,3-99,3-44,1-66,total 7 combos of sets + that beats you),how much flushes and trips can be(8 flush cards left,so 28 combos of lower flushes(can cut in half but still decent amount)+most credible A6s 6combos,total 34 combos you beat; add some 2p like 46s 6 combos to his wining range.Sum-out of total 47 combos you loose 13 (13:47=27%), and win against 34 combos (72%).If you cut some of flushes still decent amout of worse hands can call and if opp is bad you can add some % to your win.
      After big calculations loos like call is ok.
      Good luck.
    • MaestroOfZerg

Expecting people to adjust is good for your game as a player, but it'll mostly be incorrect thinking at microstakes. The players you'll see "adjust" the most are the one tabling fish that you just piss off by playing every hand, and since they're bad we don't mind them going crazy. The tags won't mess with you enough to warrant you being afraid of them playing back until they actually do start doing it. So i'd still raise and play the fish in position in a raised pot with such a good hand.

I'm betting the flop with the big draw, we have position and so much equity that's it's going to be profitable to inflate the pot for the times we do hit. Turn and river are fine especially if BB is bad he'll have weird stuff like trips 6 or lower flushes he's overplaying, just calling is too weak and once you 3bet for value you have to call it off with the odds you get. You'll get into these situations quite a lot as you get better, +ev spots where putting more money in is hugely worth it against a calling range but commits you against a raising range that beats you. It's fine, don't try avoid them, as long as betting is +ev overall being forced to stack off isn't bad.

Hope it helps.
    • michaelqian
      Thanks for all the help.

Unfortunately in this case he turned over 96.