Still on 50 dollars

• SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      im now silver rank on p.s but still my bankroll is around 50 dollars? ill have good runs and bad ones i consider my self an avergae player that should be turning over profit but at micro limits i dont budge as there is so many donks!

any tips?

much appreciated
  • 19 replies
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      If you're not turning a profit with rakeback somethings wrong. Are you playing BSS NL2 or SSS NL10? If you're trying things that you read in the silver articles I would suggest you don't at the micros. ABC poker should atleast get you break even and rakeback should bring you up into profits. What are your stats like?
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      i play BSS nl2 but seem to just get luckt then unlucky was thinking about moving up limits but wont be good for my bankroll, and what you mean by stats?
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I meant stats like VPIP/PFR/WTS/ Cbet Flop /ATS and so on. If you don't know what these are then there's your problem. Look into Poker tracker 3 or Hold Em Manager.

Good luck
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Really need more info. You don't need Poker Tracker to make a profit at NL2.

How many tables are you playing? Really need some examples of what you call "bad luck" hands for us to make any judgements.
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      I realize that stats plays aren't required at NL2. What I meant was using it to review one's own play. It's good for people to see how they actually play. I know for myself I was playing way too loose when I started but didnt know it until I could see it in my stats.
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      i want something like holdem manager or poker tracker 3 but do not want to pay for one as i am not in the position atm to buy one, i really wish there was one for free no catches like having to deposit thanks for the comments
    • EdgarAronov
      EdgarAronov
      Bronze
      pokertracker 3 has a free 2months try period
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      i know but my computer wont download it its saying its has had a failure when downloadin,
    • petter2go
      petter2go
      Bronze
      try elephant beta from 'poke her' strategy,....
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1467 ;)
    • cryoburn
      cryoburn
      Silver
      I played NL2 on PartyPoker and it was really soft. Just playing tight ABC poker on 9 to 16 tables. Fold a lot!

I hope I'm not saying anything wrong, but here's how I do it:

Cbet a lot because there's a lot of dead money there really (depending somewhat on board texture). Cbet 1/2 when you don't hit and 2/3 when you do, nobody really notices at NL2.

Double barrel on some regulars when you think they're holdin a small pocket pair or if the turn gave you a OESD or FD.

Check/Fold if cbet didn't work (especially AK, because I know sometimes can be hard to lay down).

When raising use the rule 4BB +1 per limper and +1 if you're out o position. Never slow play.

Raise pot any min donk bet about 90% of the time (in heads up pot).

Steal from CO, BTN and with any Ace, suited connectors, small pocket pairs, QJ+ (but only if you feel confortably playing it when called).

Rarely bluff because it isn't worth it. Only if you really KNOW the opponent has really nothing because he has a missed draw on the river for example.

3Bet: AK, and QQ+ and fold AK to a 4Bet.
      Avoid calling 3Bets. Just call 3B with pocket pairs if you're getting the right odds for set mine (e.g. facing a min 3B). And shove AA/KK. Shove AK and TT+ vs any shortstack.

When I'm over 200BB I usually leave the table and open another one. Because the play should be a bit different.

I use Holdem Manager, I recommend it really because I'm always analyzing where I'm profiting and where I'm losing money. It helped me a lot correcting some leaks.

Here's my graph for 33k hands of NL2 FR BSS on PartyPoker, runing at 17BB/100:

I'm now playing NL4 FR BSS though I'm rolled for higher stakes ($300 BR).

Any more tips just ask.
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SamBurton5
      i consider my self an avergae player that should be turning over profit
      I dont mean to be an unhelpful smart arse...But average poker players are lossing poker players. As less than 50% of players win =)

Just keep studying, play less tables and focus on the game more making the best dessions your capable of. A big fold is just as important if not more so than making a big call or winning a big pot.
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      i gonna take cryo advice and see how i do, how long did it take you to get to 117, thanks for the help and did you only play ring games?
      thanks alot
    • fenderboy993
      fenderboy993
      Silver
      I was in exactly the same position as you, joined in middle of august and my bankroll stayed at 50 until late September, playing minimum 4 tables Nl2 BSS for at least an hour a day.

Read more of the articles here and began to understand how donks play at these limits, good advice from Cryo btw. Eventually began makin a consistent profit until had the roll to be able to move onto 2.25 turbo sit n gos which were far more fun and beatable than the grind at NL2. Banrkroll has climbed steadily since then, currently at $485.

I think its all about waitin for a bit of luck to get ur roll high enough for sensible limits. Played a bit of NL5 and it is a lot easier to beat than NL2, i mean its still not great but i guess only 2 people call your 3 bet with j10 off than the 4 on NL2 ;)

Good luck, trust me your bankroll will start increasing if you keep workin at your game and follow much better players than me's advice :)
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the advice so far it been great :)
      Had a down swing so noww at $40 lol, How long did it take for you to get to $400 dollars?

What i am now going to try to do using the tips:

-Multi table about 5-10 tables
      -be patient
      -try to fold more and let some big pairs draws go.
      - and finally dont bluff at low limits as wont work

gonna put these points into action and see how i do thanks for the tips any more would be great help ill make sure to get back to this post on how i am doing in the next week. KEEP TIPS COMING!
    • fenderboy993
      fenderboy993
      Silver
      Well started playing 26th july playing 4-8 tables BSS NL2 at least hour a day. Had ups and downs like you, went broke at one point but the biggest ever bonus saved me and got me back $36 lol, but got up to $125 October 5th roughly, partly through bonuses and stuff like Take Two.

Strarted playing the turbo sit n gos 2.25, which either suited me better or are just easy to beat. Also played a bit NL5 but found i was making money a lot faster witht the sit n gos, even though it was more fun than NL2.

Climbed steadily since then and moved on to the 6 50 when my roll was big enough and am beating them too. Hit $400 December 8th and been on a bit of a heater and am on $522 now :) :) :)

I agree that you should multi-table, i started with 2 but my eyes began to bleed with boredom, so gradually increased it to 8. It also makes it a lot easier to be patient and not start making rash moves because you havent seen a hand for 2 hours or whatever.

Yeh and bluffing is just hilarious, people will call with anything so once again it is just a matter of waiting for the big hands, and they will come honestly :)

Again good luck with it mate, i know what your going through lol!!! It's just a matter of time :)
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      Again not trying to sound snobbey...

Do you even know if your currently a winning player at a given limit? Because if you dont you hsouldnt even be multi tabling...

Just my thoughts...
    • wowadvisor
      wowadvisor
      Bronze
      if u play NL2 BSS... its extremely hard to play proper poker since the opponents are so bad .. they do not play normal poker.. the money on the table is so small.. people dont care about odds and outs and u will be sucked out a lot! you have to play super extremely tight to make a small profit..

i just changed from sss to bss and i started at nl10, i found this limit so horrible... i moved to nl50 where people actually know poker and respect check raises and other plays!

move up a limit or tighten up ... would be my advice!

lots of luck :s_biggrin:
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Silver
      Originally posted by wowadvisor
      if u play NL2 BSS... its extremely hard to play proper poker since the opponents are so bad .. they do not play normal poker.. the money on the table is so small.. people dont care about odds and outs and u will be sucked out a lot! you have to play super extremely tight to make a small profit..

i just changed from sss to bss and i started at nl10, i found this limit so horrible... i moved to nl50 where people actually know poker and respect check raises and other plays!

move up a limit or tighten up ... would be my advice!

lots of luck :s_biggrin:
      DONT DO THAT

think about it. do you want people folding their worse hands? no. you want them calling. thats what you do in shortstack strategy.

plus, if you are unable to beat NL2 i can guarantee you WONT beat nl50.
      adapt to your opponents. are they maniacs? wait for the good hands and play them super aggressively.

try to isolate your opponents. i mean that you should avoid multiway pots. i played nl2 a month ago when i almost went broke and i made money in no time they are all donks. stick to the rules from the articles and keep playing focused and you will slowly see some profit.

you dont need pokertracker or elephant to short stack nl2.

hope it helps
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      I was playing NL5 for a while and I was finding most of my opponnents very tight and pretty good players over all. I was still winning slighty with the rakeback but was surprised by the level . I only palyed 20K hands but was expecting a lot more maniacs and easy money. It was very rare to get called with a raise from UTG.

I have moved to NL25 and I have to say it is much better people are a lot more aggressive and do not respect the raisev as much I found so far (is it the world upside down or what? :) ). the improtant thing is to keep to your BR and do not go to a higher level if you cannot afford it overwise you more than likely will go broke.