[NL2-NL10] NL5 FR AQs, hitting top pair..

• Janusrichmond
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Spela upp hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, A.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.20, BU calls $0.20, 2 folds.

Flop: ($0.87) 5, A, 2 (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.50, MP2 calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, BU folds.

Turn: ($2.37) 8 (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $0.70, CO folds, Hero calls $0.70.

River: ($3.77) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP2 bets $5.37, Hero folds, MP2 gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.77.

preflop: Standard raise with AQ

Flop: Hit top pair and raise for value, the flop is dry so I don´t need to protect my hand.

Turn: Decide to go for pot control and just check call, my opponent could be on like Ax, but I could be behind if he has AK or a set.

River: My plan is to check call a normal small bet on the river, but when he push I think Im to often behind and I decide to fold.

Could I have played the hand in a better way, maybe bet/fold turn instead?
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Depends what these players are like, i think at nl5 most of the time you'll have at least one of them with a worse Ax hand and not betting against that holding is disastrous, so unless you have some kind of read saying that

- MP2 is ultra-tight and can only show up on the turn with AQ+/55/22

- either MP2 or CO likes to float a lot of flops and be aggressive with air on later streets

you should very likely bet again for value yourself.

As played river is all weird since you took an inducing line without really knowing whether it could induce stuff from these guys or not, flip a coin?

Hope it helps.