university

• Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      Hello

I am going next year to university. I would like ask you what university I should choose if i want it would be also usefull for poker. My dream is become poker player.(I play poker one year and i think serios about it) But also I wanna go university, for have possible second job in future and becouse living in other city, where i want live in future. (Althought I will be studing I will have 4-8 hours for poker every day for sure)

I was thinking abou managment, psychology and diplomacy. Can you give me any advice ?

Thanx you
      Riddlah
  • 20 replies
    • andreibalint
      andreibalint
      Bronze
      I don't think you should base this decision on if it helps or not your poker skills. More than that i don't think there's any university that can directly help you.

Of course that there are some areas where you get some help. For me mathematics (especially probabilities) and statistics helped a little. If i would be insane i guess the MS Excel and Access i learned will help me for creating a database with players, but that's a stretch.

So at most try to have this subjects covered. I don't know what to say about psychology, there are some cases where you need to scare/not scare your opponent, but again, it's a big stretch to consider you need exhaustive knowledge to beat the tables.

Remember that many big time pros where pizza delivery boys, limo drivers (Cunningham) and they are succesfull.
    • Irooz
      Irooz
      Bronze
    • viewer88
      viewer88
      Bronze
      They don't teach the skills you need to be great at poker at university, and the math you apply in poker is WAY below uni level.

Just pick something that interests you and invest enough time in it during the semester, a decision this important can't be made based on poker.
      Remember: someday you might grow tired of grinding poker all day, a good diploma will be your safetynet.
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      I agree with whats been said.
      First of all, none of those 3 majors would actually really help you, as for example, the practical psychology you need to play you learn during actual play (blind steals, continuation bets, overbetting, not overbetting...).
      Management and Diplomacy, well I dont see how they would help in poker at all.

Anyways, someone wise once said that poker is a sport, where you learn by trial and mistake.
      2nd - there are a lot of good books and articles on poker out there, study up.
      Combine the knowledge in those books and articles with your experience, learn from your mistakes and you should be fine.

Good luck at poker and your Uni !
    • Kruppe
      Kruppe
      Black
      psychology and analytical philosophy, AINEC (and game theory, which may be offered in the maths or philosophy department or not at all, i guess)

(like phil galfond)
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      thanx you for your opinions :)

I was thinking about it becouse of David Sklansky did math in university, which i guess helped him.

But anyways it looks that non of this school would help me improve my poker skills. So i just try best ration interest/earning by chosing.
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      university is not going to help you play poker (it's actually going to make it slower for you to go rich or go boroke)

you need fast math, not deep abstract math stuff that you learn at uni level.
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Uni is overrated.
    • GunFlavoured
      GunFlavoured
      Bronze
      I doubt there will be any course that would significantly help your poker game, just learn and practice and that's it. If you want to go to uni, make sure it is because it is something you want to do, not just to help you play poker.
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      @SonicXT

i think either but i will get it for almost free(thanx my parents) so why do not take it if it just help me
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      @GunFlavoured

i will do :P
    • Ishindar
      Ishindar
      Bronze
      i did a degree in electrical and control systems engineering, long time ago.
      poker is a controlled system, so its easy for me to break it down to its core etc.

as other people have already said. you need a reality check if u think poker is a viable career option.
      if u cant make it in poker from casual part time play then you shouldnt consider persuing it as a career.
    • DukeFreedom
      DukeFreedom
      Black
      Originally posted by SonicXT
      Uni is overrated.
      Quoted for truth.

(studies applied math @ uni)
    • Joronamo
      Joronamo
      Bronze
      The good thing about psychology classes though is thats what all the babes study...or atleast where I come from.
    • csnmf
      csnmf
      Global
      Uni is only overrated if you go to a bad uni. A good grade from a good university is going to open a lot of doors for you whilst a good grade from a bad university not so much. I would also advise picking a subject you are actually interested in so you will put in the work and get a good grade. A bad grade from even Oxbridge is still worthless.

The good thing about university at least in England is that there are 2x10 week terms and the third term is basically just for exams and you're finished by the start of July. In other words that's alot of free time, more than enough to play poker on the side.
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      @Joronamo

same here :D
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      @csnmf

also good thing in Englands is that some of your unis provide sea biologist studng programs, not something similar here in slovakia :(
    • gosuking
      gosuking
      Global
      choose what you enjoy most.
    • Sale1337
      Sale1337
      Bronze
      lol, well study whatever you want if you are smart and working enough to beat m-h stakes, uni doesn't matter. By only posting this question I higly doubt you are...
      g33z at selling your life for the poker purposes.
      if y still insist go to the poker uni somewhere is USA I believe