Why would anyone do this?

Hero (SB): $56.15
      BB: $65.35
      UTG: $17.11
      MP: $56.40
      CO: $71.35
      BTN: $30.15

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is SB with 9 :heart: J :spade:
      1 fold, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.25, BB checks

Flop: ($2.00) K :spade: T :diamond: Q :club: (4 players)
      Hero bets $1.50, BB folds, MP folds, CO calls $1.50

Turn: ($5.00) A :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $3.00, CO calls $3

River: ($11.00) J :club: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $11.00, Hero yells at opponent, Hero calls $11

Final Pot: $33.00
      Hero shows 9 :heart: J :spade:
      CO shows 6 :spade: A :heart:
      CO wins $15.67
      Hero wins $15.68
      (Rake: $1.65)
      Hero checks, CO bets $11.00, Hero calls $11

Somehow I doubt anybody's folding the river...
  • 13 replies
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      people are dumb. Usually that stupidity is money in your pocket at the poker table, but sometimes it does cost you.

Maybe he thinks you don't know how to read the board.

Maybe he works for your pokersite.

Maybe he is grinding a bonus, and needs the player points.

Maybe he thought you'd misclick (but in this variation, a 1bb bet would have been enough).

Maybe he was just mad at you. Did he recently ship a buyin off to you?
    • mrjorisa
      mrjorisa
      Bronze
      He had top pair + nut straight, obv he thought he was good
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      Originally posted by mrjorisa
      He had top pair + nut straight, obv he thought he was good
      :f_biggrin:
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Maybe he thought he had the flush and then.... oh...wait..
    • fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      It happens....i saw people folding there...i saw people folding on a 9999A board too...there is always dumb people :D
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Speaking about dumb plp, I heard about this one guy, who had AA in early position, got raised and he folded. :f_cry:
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fulja
      It happens....i saw people folding there...i saw people folding on a 9999A board too...there is always dumb people :D
      Excactly - I made a fish fold once on 8888A board on river with just another bet. Some 12 tabling reg could also do that just by snap looking at board and knewing I was tag reg also. Worth a try... :D
    • Riddlah
      Riddlah
      Bronze
      he may thought that u fold it

happend the same to me in sng,
      in river we both players had AKQJT, no flash, He raised a I pushed all in. Oponent think a little and than fold.
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      I'm all for shoving on this board in a SNG, but in cashgame, I find this behaviour insulting. My opponent is basically saying that I can't read the board, and just wants to pay more rake.

Speaking of folding AA preflop: in the new edition of Super System 2, Phil Helmuth claims that he will fold AA for all his chips preflop, because it only gives him 85% equity, whereas he has closer to 100% equity if he can play his game. :s_confused:

Ha ha.
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      I saw peopel have 22, he raise on the board 4445, and when river come out 4, he call my all-in with his 22 :)
    • tuomasta
      tuomasta
      Bronze
      I have fold on this board one time...

pot was about 30cnt and i'm on button

one villain put AI 10$ and next villain call that so if i call pot is 30$ and rake is 1.5$
    • metalDays
      metalDays
      Bronze
      Originally posted by GrantJennings

Speaking of folding AA preflop: in the new edition of Super System 2, Phil Helmuth claims that he will fold AA for all his chips preflop, because it only gives him 85% equity, whereas he has closer to 100% equity if he can play his game. :s_confused:

Ha ha.
      Let me stary by saying that I completely dont understand the concept of equity in poker ( and since im studying for my law exams at this moment, let me say that i also dont understand the concept of equity much in continental civil law, but ho, there it is).
      Second, I don believe Phil Hellmuth would ever fold an AA, seeing a lot of his vids and knowing him to be an arrogant idiot ( but a good player nonetheless).

Final... can someone plz explain to me this concept of equity in poker ?
    • GrantJennings
      GrantJennings
      Bronze
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com/glossary/Equity

Also, I think you have to be an arrogant idiot in order to fold AA preflop for all your chips. To fold AA pre, you are essentially saying that your edge relative to other players in the tournament is greater than 4-1.

Phil is saying that, by shoving with AA preflop and rolling the dice, he exposes his chips and his tournament life to 15% risk. If he just picks his spots, uses his flawless reading ability, and plays perfect poker, he'll win 100%, which is better than 85%.

Sounds pretty arrogant, right?

There are spots where folding AA preflop is the right move, equity-wise. Phil isn't talking about those spots. He means generally, at any stage in the tourney for all his chips.

Compare this to Gus Hansen's ability to make great calls when he's getting even close to the right price on a call against his opponent's range.