Bankroll Protection FL.

• One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      So have had a slow, shitty 6 months, 3 months were because of downswing, 2 months broke even but lost money to €/$ xrate and Nov only played 900 hands. In the last week I have started to play alot again, 1000 hands just today, more than all of Nov. and with the holidays coming I will have more time and also I have the desire to play more poker.
      The problem is: after a week of break even poker I had a nice "runner/runner catch on the river suckout One12ver day." :f_mad: I have played well all day, 3 times coming back to break even but then again got sucked out 2x in 4 hands and finally had enough and left. I will 100% be playing tommorow but if this shit happens again then I think I will move down a limit to save myself money because I have a feeling that this is just a continuation of the downswing.

My question is: Is this a good strategy to protect my bankroll( moving down limits) or should I continue to play my normal limits and move down when I am under 300BB?

I read or heard once that playing under your normal limits that your bankroll allows "your leaving money on the table." Does anyone know what this means?
  • 5 replies
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      If you don't feel confident move down, even with more than 300BB. But if you think you played well and it is just downswing continue playing on this limit (of course following rule about moving when you have only 300BB on smaller lever, applies here).
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Use standard BRM and study your arse off. Review hands you are unsure of and if you find you are getting more of these than expected, then increase your study time/reduce your playing time.

If I could follow this advice I'd be 2x the player I am now (and 1/2 the player everyone else seems to be!).
    • DarthBobo
      DarthBobo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by One12ver
      I read or heard once that playing under your normal limits that your bankroll allows "your leaving money on the table." Does anyone know what this means?
      Some players are slight winners at their limit but decide they're not going to move up. They want some kind of proof like 1.5BB/100 over 200k hands, which is well... dumb in my opinion.

It's much smarter to move up, play there, and move back down when you're getting outplayed. (if you've got the bankroll for the higher limit of course)
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      It's much smarter to move up, play there, and move back down when you're getting outplayed.

Think I may see what may be my problem for the past few months if I understand this correctly.

So your saying that it is better to play your allowed limits BR wise and continue to move up and down limits when you drop or go over 300BB? By doing this I will win more and loose less in the long run, and protecting the BR is a loosing strategy?

Oh yes I love the "outplayed" part. :f_wink:
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      The best general tactics imo is to play at limit where you feel comfortable. For example - you know you're very good at 0.25/0.50 but one day you came home drunk and blew off 1/3 of your BR and put your winning rate to 0.7 BB / 100 instead of being 1.7 BB /100... you're now statistically not that good anymore, but you can with no problem move to higher limit if you know you're beating your current one. BRM is just to protect you from variance when moving up because losses will be twice as big there and without proper BRM you can fall very deep. Although at higher (but still low) limits it is a custom to have even more conservative bankroll than suggested because game is getting a lot tougher each step up. I had no big problems climbing up to 0.25/0.50, but then the troubles began and now it's the second time I had to give up 1/2 and grind 0.5/1 again, although I'm very established and overrolled for that limit. :)

It's a hard work, but someone has to do it... :f_confused: