[NL2-NL10] about sss's variance

• Swire
      Swire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by daisuke3823
      I recently started to play short stack strategy.
      I am playing as strategy says but not doing well.
      how much winning sss players can win BB per 100 hands on average for example Generally?
      and how much downswing one can experience ?
      hope someone will answer !!
      Im not too sure about win rate on average, i have experienced 20-25 buyin downswings... so they can be pretty heavy indeed.
  • 3 replies
    • burek2000
      burek2000
      Bronze
      Hey daisuke3823,

nice to see another inspired shortstacker on board and welcome to the SSS forum!

From my experiences a standard profit of solid winning player on certain limit should be 2-6BB/100 hands, you will see also similar profits if you check some blogs of good SSS players. Of course if experienced SSSer goes to micros this can be much higher, but I'm talking about winning players on their skill appropriate limit.

As for the swings, I heard people saying they were swinging down to 30BIs, however I think 20BI swings are kind of maximum for a winning player and what is above this is extremely unlucky, but most likely a consequence of DS + tilt or DS + leaks that new players might still have, but you should also take this into account when deciding on the BRM when you are new to the strategy. I always followed a 50BI BRM and it worked well for me.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

I wish you good luck and good progress in your SSS career!

Regards,
      burek2000
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      For SSS, anything above 1BB/100 is good, but of course it's the volume that makes it worthwhile.

I consider myself a fairly good SSS player, and i've managed to beat NL25 for ~3.4BB/100 over 100k hands, but still struggling with variance on NL50 over 400k hands, running way below EV (~100 BI down) for a BB/100 of -0.25. The swings can be relly big, it's not uncommon to lose 10 BI in a matter of minutes if you're multitabling.

Overall i'm still a winning player though, and with rakeback i'm waaaaaay up.
    • daisuke3823
      daisuke3823
      Bronze
      thank you everyone for answering questions kindly!!
      it helps me a lot!
      thank you again !! :s_love: