NL Player giving a shot to FL

• Volrath89
      Volrath89
      Bronze
      Hello!

I'm currently a NL player, but wanted to give a try to FL since I've heard this variant of poker is more mathemathical and well for some people must be more fun than NL, I've always wanted to give it a try :)

I have a couple of questions though. At what stakes should I start playing?. My bankroll is enough for all microlimits I think (about $3k), but I'm of course not going to start at the highest limit my bankroll supports because I'll be using the begginer strategy. I was thinking to start maybe at 0.50/1.00? but maybe thats too high for the begginer strategy?

Also, what changes would you suggest to the SHC of the basic strategy, I'm guessing I should open a bit looser in late positions as in NL?

Anything else you'd like to share I'd be happy to read =)
  • 12 replies
    • chuongdk
      chuongdk
      Bronze
      FL is more loose with high WTSD + many bad beats
      I'm playing at 0.1/0.2 and rake is about 2.5-3BB/100 hands
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      I suggest FLSH 0.25/0.50 to get a hang of it, 0.5/1 can be quite fishy as well at good hours but you'll find a lot of regulars there that will be exploiting you. You are bankrolled for FLSH 2/4 but I think BR by itself won't be enough to play there.

You can see in my blog I'm a winning player at 0.5/1 but I have quite some problems climbing up to 1/2, variance is huge and you might end up losing a lot of money just because of it, not to mention the skills.

And very important question - where do you plan do play? Waiboy can tell you iPoker network is very tight and you'd be much better off playing on FTP or Stars.

Basic SHC is very conservative and it is only written for FR games so it's not usable for FLSH (unless you want to play FL FR, but it's boring as hell...). It is of course good to read all the articles, but for the limits up to 0.5/1 silver ORC (Open raising chart) calculated for SH games will be just great. After you master all the study material up to Gold section, you can start using advanced adjusting and plays in Gold articles. But as I already mentioned - Silver articles are enough to be a decent winning player for anything up to 0.5/1 . :)

EDIT: you might want to see this movie before switching to FLSH. :D [(C) Waiboy.]
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Berkstajger

EDIT: you might want to see this movie before switching to FLSH. :D [(C) Waiboy.]
      Actually, (C) fulja. My contribution was realising the Ginosaji was FLSH. :f_o:

BTW +1 for Berkstajger's post.

My two cents would be that there is a ton of action at FLSH so either play a bit of FR for a start to get a feel for the standard lines before switching to SH. Otherwise only play one table for a while until you have the standard charts 90% memorised and KNOW the standard value lines from the silver article.
    • lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze

Haha , the movie is really funny x,D

But i dont find the relationship with FLSH ...lol

can you explain it to me ? ;(
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      Shorthanded 0.5$ tables is good palce to start. Just follow charts preflop and read material for postflop and about psychology. This game will drain your soul out slowly :D
    • Berkstajger
      Berkstajger
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lichoman1

Haha , the movie is really funny x,D

But i dont find the relationship with FLSH ...lol

can you explain it to me ? ;(
      You're either a Cornholio clone or varianca hasn't hit you yet... :D

For the OP: besides the Silver articles I would strongly recommend you to read the Gold article about stats and player types. Since you're probably already familiar using HUD you should quickly get to recognize different types of opponents and avoid some common mistakes done my ex NL players. :)
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by harleytopper
      This game will drain your soul out slowly :D
      Of course, it will also make you far better looking and increase your winrate with the opposite sex infinitely.
    • BDL
      BDL
      Bronze
      Nothing arouses the human female quite like the smell of breakeven.
    • TerrorBlade
      TerrorBlade
      Black
      Originally posted by BDL
      With after-fragrance of marginal to semi-significant rakeback profits.
    • fulja
      fulja
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Waiboy

Actually, (C) fulja. My contribution was realising the Ginosaji was FLSH. :f_o:
      Guess it's a good thing i don't play FL then :D
    • Waiboy
      Waiboy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Originally posted by BDL
      FTW! :s_cool:
    • PidKoker
      PidKoker
      Global
      Originally posted by TerrorBlade
      Originally posted by BDL
      So thats what that smell around this part of the forums was...