just started sss am i doing ok?

• johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      hello there have just started short stack, i have been playing 8 tables on nl10 i have played around 3500 hands i am fully aware of the small sample size i am up by 8 dollars (has been jumping up and down mainly down)

my question is is this about right for the number of hands i have played i am pretty sure i have started on a bad bit of variance as i have had aa and kk cracked just about everytime jj ran into qj and busted several times all situations i am pre flop favourite

how long does this bad variance run for and what should my bb/100 be roughly ?

i am not a complete new player i am an experianced don tourney player used to playing 24 tables at a time (with a 13%roi for those intrested) so i can make the correct decion pretty quicly according to stratergy

many thanks in advance
  • 13 replies
    • raun
      raun
      Bronze
      playing basic sss i think you should be around breakeven. so maybe 0.5bb/100 or something like that. + rakeback of course which will be your main income.

anyway u say it yourself, its a very tiny sample and u cant tell anything from it.
      because you could theoretically run bad forever its impossible to set an exact limit for how long it can last but i think they usually dont last more than 50k hands. i have seen examples where they do though.

why did you switch from don's?
    • ro1chwvd
      ro1chwvd
      Bronze
      Hello johnny

That is very much like my progress. I also started sss a few weeks ago, only NL10, and today I reached my 3600th hand with very small overall profit... a few $. My AA, KK got rarely busted, however I am aware that I made several mistakes which lost the 2$ buy-ins. No tilt, just stupid mistakes like playing hands because of boredom...

It's not getting boring, because I have made small modifications to the strategy, to make it more action-packed :) but still I really would like to start NL25 soon. I don't think I will wait to get with the BR to 150$.

Off-topic: from time to time just to change the scenery, I join some freerolls, but I don't get close to the final table. From a few thousands of ppl, I usually bust out at 400 - 500th place. Are freerolls just a mirage, is it impossible to get to the $$, or one just has to be very lucky?
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      thanks for replying

i have swithched from don tourneys simply for a bit of change and to have a go at this sss system i first looked at the system about 6 months ago and have ever since been woundering whever such a simple stratergy could work in the long run. (ps i am still playing about 250 don tourneys a day)

i guess i will have to just keep it up for now and see how it goe's all my hands have been played in a single day (hard grinding) i will keep track of my progress and i have decided that just for fun i am going to run this system for at least 250,000 hands (or untill it is minus $100) and keep a blog about my progress, this will be done in my spare time and i rekon will be done in around 90 days or so not sure if i will move up limits as i go on as i may just try to find a rough longterm winrate for 1 lvl.

also a quick note i have looked threw my hand history and there are 3 hands that have been played wrongly so i should be up by another 5 dollars or so if i had not made the mistakes (will try harder to not make mistakes)

ps ill post a link in a few days for the blog unless i can keep a record on this site i dont know if it has a section for blogs not looked if anyone knows if this is possible then please give me some direction as to where on this site i can find:)

many thanks for everyones replies in advance
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Hi, i've played just over 15,000 hands at NL10 as a SSS and my winrate is only 1.91BB/100h. THat's 6-tabling.

Obviously there are quite a few leaks in my game being the amateur I am, but i've modified it from the basic SSS slightly by introducing stealing and restealing into my game, it certainly makes it a bit more interesting :)

Check out my blog (Link in sig) if you want to know more about NL10 or something :) Good luck.
    • harleytopper
      harleytopper
      Bronze
      After 60k hands last month I run 3.4BB/100, but I never had a serious downswing and was above all-in EV line. 0.5-3.0BB/100 must be winning range for NL10 with basic strategy.

But be prepeared for downswing 20BI or more, that happens all the time.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Yeah, it does, today on NL10 i've been from $7 up, to $17 down, and back to $3 up again.
    • johny8984
      johny8984
      Bronze
      hey everyone have just completed 25k hands currently running at 2.14 bb/100 again still with 8 screens (dual screen setup (2 screens quarterd))

so far i have found that sss in not

entertaining

enjoyable

sss pro's

doe's work at the limits i have played

it is fairly easy to brush threw the variance and avoid tilt(for me anyway)

i will carry on my quest to find a winrate for this stratergy but i am also playing bss and running at 18bb/100 at nl 10 20k hands played only 4 table's tho

will post graphs as soon as i can get elephant to work

thanks for replys and reading my posts everyone

johny x x x
    • Grailer
      Grailer
      Global
      Tried SSS my thoughts are waste of time.

Pros .

Low risk

Cons

Low rewards
      Easy to Read
      Easily exploited
      Blinds eat into profits
      Fold alot of wining hands that u would play if BSS

Btw i should let u know how SSS can be exploited .

1. Players who limp in with monster hands like AA will crush you
      2. If you raise UTG then everyone knows you have 5 possible hands and
      will fold usually and u win blinds that u will probably lose in 2 hands :)
      3. Players will raise 2.5bb and steal your blinds with hands like A2 even.
      And if you pick up a playable hand in blinds JJ QQ KK AA AK they fold .

If you raise with 99 in middle position , and i pick up AK i will re raise you all in if im in late position , You should fold . But you had the best hand.
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grailer
      Tried SSS my thoughts are waste of time.

Pros .

Low risk

Cons

Low rewards
      Easy to Read
      Easily exploited
      Blinds eat into profits
      Fold alot of wining hands that u would play if BSS

Btw i should let u know how SSS can be exploited .

1. Players who limp in with monster hands like AA will crush you
      2. If you raise UTG then everyone knows you have 5 possible hands and
      will fold usually and u win blinds that u will probably lose in 2 hands :)
      3. Players will raise 2.5bb and steal your blinds with hands like A2 even.
      And if you pick up a playable hand in blinds JJ QQ KK AA AK they fold .

If you raise with 99 in middle position , and i pick up AK i will re raise you all in if im in late position , You should fold . But you had the best hand.
      Theorem of poker states: You make profit from opponents mistakes. SSS does good of doing that in average fishtank. I rarely meet any regulars at NL 10, those who even know what is SSS are even less. So, Your point is right, but in reality few people understand what they are doing. I try not to play with regulars. They are easly spotted by my HEM.
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      Grailer, you are 100% bang on for basic SSS....

Moving into an advanced form of SSS with stats on opponents can increase profits quite a bit, make it harder to be read and use some of the basic rules of SSS back against the BSS players.
    • Unforeseen99
      Unforeseen99
      Bronze
      As a BSS'er I love stealing SSS'ers blinds. It's easy pickin's :s_biggrin:
    • hansbans
      hansbans
      Bronze
      Originally posted by slowshow

Theorem of poker states: You make profit from opponents mistakes. SSS does good of doing that in average fishtank. I rarely meet any regulars at NL 10, those who even know what is SSS are even less. So, Your point is right, but in reality few people understand what they are doing. I try not to play with regulars. They are easly spotted by my HEM.
      What is HEM? It would help me alot if I could keep track of regulars :o

I'm having big trouble at Everest poker because too many are playing either sss or just bad smallstack play. So I'm trying to decide if I should switch to bss or modify the sss play.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hansbans
      What is HEM?
      It's a cheap hud like Poker Tracker and PokerStrategy's Elephant.

I'm having big trouble at Everest poker because too many are playing either sss or just bad smallstack play.
      There are very few real SSS players on Everest. The bad small stake play is very profitable for you. Effective stacks are all that is important. There is zero difference to you between a full stack and a fish who buys in short.

So I'm trying to decide if I should switch to bss or modify the sss play.
      Modifying the SSS strategy would be a terrible idea. SSS works excellent at Everest at all stakes. However you must follow it precisely. Playing cards outside of the starting hand chart is a major leak and will destroy all of your profits.