BSS vs SSS win rates

• peanutter
      peanutter
      Bronze
      Hey,

I've currently playing a modified SSS at nl25 and having quite a bit of a success there so far. I've managed to build up a bankroll $250 and am wondering about the winrate differences between SSS and BSS since I am considering the switch to BSS at nl10.

Firstly, I think SSS can achieve quite a good win rate. I'm currently earning 10+bb/100 hands. If I switch to nl10 BSS I'm not sure whether I'd be earning more at BSS nl10 or SSS nl25. To earn the same amount at nl10, I'd have at least double the amount of bb/100.

My thinking is that moving up limits in SSS is faster and hence earns more. I'm not sure about the win rate potential for BSS so I'd like to hear some opinions for this.

Is building up a bankroll better with SSS in higher limits or BSS in lower limits?

Cheers,
      Peanutter.
  • 9 replies
    • Alambert
      Alambert
      Global
      Depends,
      Bss is more, how can i say, pos flop played.
      Most part of sss hands are AI pf or in the flop.
      If you have a good pos flop game, you will earn much more money at bss.
      But, if you think you're not good at pos flop, u should stay in sss and study more bss

Hope u understand, my english...
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I think you are running hot or your games are really soft as 10bb/100 is really very high for SSS. BSS is way better (profitable as your edge can get much higher)and is definitely more enjoyable/requires more thinking
    • saxemephone
      saxemephone
      Bronze
      I'm not an SSS player, but I'm pretty sure 10bb/100 is really good for SSS. How big of a sample size is this winrate for?

If you want to build a bankroll, I guess I'd stick with SSS for now since you've been quite successful with it.

That being said, you can get a higher win rate with BSS at the lower limits, since fish are happy to give away full 100bb stacks. I ran at almost 20bb/100 on NL10 and NL25 BSS, but that was only over 20k hands and I was almost definitely on an upswing, as well as running a bit above EV. But at the same time I'm still learning and I was also making plenty of mistakes.

If I were you I'd just do what I enjoy. If you enjoy playing SSS and are winning, why not move up and see where it takes you.
    • peanutter
      peanutter
      Bronze
      @mbml
      I do select my tables carefully and play a bit more aggressive since tables I find are passive.

@saxemephone
      How long does it usually take you to move up a limit with BSS. With SSS it seems I can move up in limits quite regularly, letting me earn more $/hour.

I was thinking with a bankroll of $300. You'd play either SSS at nl50 or BSS at nl10. Each double up at SSS = $10. Each double up at BSS = $10. However doubling up in SSS is much more common since you're the shortie.

This means for you'd need a much higher bb/100 compared to SSS for BSS to be worth it.

I think I'll give BSS a try since post flop play is one of my weaker points atm.
    • xponentx
      xponentx
      Bronze
      Must be a small sample size if you are 10bb/100 for SSS. I'd say you need at least 50k hands to get an idea of your real winrate.

10bb/100 is realistic for BSS, but not for SSS.
    • Ultifanatic
      Ultifanatic
      Bronze
      Either you have found the golden SSS poker room or you are on a nice upswing. This is not to knock your SSS skills...

The one key thing you are missing when you compare SSS vs BSS...

SSS is about doubling up through a fish and leaving a table.

While BSS is not about doubling up, but instead about methodically sucking every dollar out of the bankrolls of the fish at the table.

This difference can lead to a much higher win rate with BSS if you are able to play Postflop well.

If I am trying to clear a bonus, SSS is very effective...if I am trying to just plain win $$$ at cash, then BSS can be much more effective....again if you have the skills to play PostFlop.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      SSS won't be too profitable past NL100 at many sites. You would only be able to sustain 0-1 PTBB/100 and live off rakeback, especially when there are many other SSSers with you. If you are too fussy with table selection, then you can't get to play too many games at once (and can't generate huge amounts of rakeback which is the primary income of SSSers).

I went through many break even phases when i was playing it and I switched after getting sick of NL100 SSS. I suggest switching earlier so that you can master BSS faster and move up (SSS in my opinion is only a means of building your bankroll in the early stages).
    • delete461
      delete461
      Bronze
      SSS definitely has its limitations but check out the blogs of raun and taceznarf - these guys are making $4 - 5k per month with SSS, plus rakeback and bonuses. It can be extremely profitable, but I think that would be the limit.
    • slowshow
      slowshow
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Ultifanatic
      SSS is about doubling up through a fish and leaving a table.

While BSS is not about doubling up, but instead about methodically sucking every dollar out of the bankrolls of the fish at the table.
      Exactly. +1