Rant

• michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      Hi all

Currently on NL5, about 22K hands.

What's the point of this thread? Probably none, because there's nothing you can say that I don't already know.

But still a rant feels good, so here it goes...................

I wonder why my bank never increases... it's bloody variance.

For the past few weeks everytime I start off a session well by winning a stack or 2, I lose it all within 5 minutes due to bad beats. Just now won a stack with AA, lost it again with KK against AK all in on the flop, he spiked a ace on the turn.

So every session ends up slight negative.

I've had more than my fair share of variance and I think it's time it picked on someone else.

Rant over

Thank you for listening, or reading rather.
  • 8 replies
    • Justin37
      Justin37
      Bronze
      Hahahhaa u are funny...It good to release ur tension :)
    • davodka
      davodka
      Bronze
      I'm going to join your variance rant. Just played a 16 game session of FT $15 hyper turbos and lost 14 of them, came 3rd in the other two. Having a really bad week in terms of poker. I'm going to take a break over Christmas and then change to BSS probably or at the least, normal super turbos...
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      The exact scenario described above just happened again, KK versus ATs, all in preflop, ace on the turn.

I've just had what COULD HAVE BEEN a good session, with profit of at least two stacks.

But unfortunately the same bad beat equation applies.

(Winnings due to standard/good play) - (Losses due to bad beats) = Overall Loss

What's the deal with KK? I've been bombarded with them and almost all my major losses are with KK. Always getting outdrawn by an ace or other even more stupid bad beats, now almost 4BI down.

Just came out of a downswing on NL5 not long ago, but looks like it's starting again.
    • SlurpeeMoney
      SlurpeeMoney
      Bronze
      Yesterday, I was playing an SNG and in the early part of the tournament I got KK. I normally don't play much of anything early, but I can't really put down aces or kings. Raised, had one caller and a re-raise, so I feared AA, hoped for QQ. I re-re-raised, isolating the re-raiser, and he called.

Flop comes down T,2,K, rainbow, and I raise the pot. Villain re-raises, I push all in. Bastard has QJ, and the 9 comes on the turn to give him the straight.

I'm not so much upset that I lost to the straight (that happens), but I'm pretty upset that QJ re-raised _twice_ against a made hand to hit the nuts. >.< I take some small consolation knowing that the villain is going to lose all of his money.

I feel your pain, sir.
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      It's also quite freaky that when your luck turns around, you are hitting 4/5 sets on the flop. It's happening today, 4/5 of my pocket pairs preflop turn into sets.
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by michaelqian
      It's also quite freaky that when your luck turns around, you are hitting 4/5 sets on the flop. It's happening today, 4/5 of my pocket pairs preflop turn into sets.
      LOL still waiting for it to happen. Had KK run into AA 3 times in about 200 hands today. How freakin sick is that??? So I decide to play some SNGs on another site, was running at 37% ROI over small sample (200 or so), bubbled 12 of 20. 4 of those were flips so whatever, a couple suckouts, but what really irked me was 3 in a row I lasted less than 15 mins and all but one to ugly beats/bad play (micro limits I guess??)

AK v 33 AI on turn A8K 2 Yup, 3 on the river.
      99 v 22 AI on flop 563 5...2 on river, guess he had a gutshot??

That's my rant...
    • michaelqian
      michaelqian
      Bronze
      My poker has been swingy like a rollercoaster since I started NL5.

A downswing has started again immediately after the upswing, now down 5BI.
    • mishkagg
      mishkagg
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SlurpeeMoney
      but I'm pretty upset that QJ re-raised _twice_ against a made hand to hit the nuts. >.<
      you are thinking wrong about this. It's exactly those plays that should make you happy. Even when they take a pot they are actually losing in the long run.