Anyone is a WoW (World of Warcraft) player??

• lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze
      Hi guys!

Well I wonder if any of you plays or had played WoW before coming to poker, Ive seen many players who come from Starcraft but never heard about a player who comes from WoW.

Im a retired WoW player, i had left the game already 2 years ago, I was a PvP frost mage :P

am I the only WoW player here? X(
  • 21 replies
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      i was a pvp hunter until they nerfed us, overpowered us, changed entire class twice, etc. we were like top13 3v3 team - shammy resto, retri pala, bm hunt - in tbc was mm/surv hunt

so half of my time in wotlk i spent as resto druid and stopped playing like in february this year or earlier.
    • Azermas
      Azermas
      Bronze
      I was a WoW player too !
      Retired few months after "Wrath of the Lich King" expansion.
      Sometimes i miss the old WoW experience :)
    • lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze
      WoW Im glad to hear that im not the only one :O , we are only 3 :P

WoW is the MMORPG most played on internet but we are very little on poker, maybe WoW is too funny to leave it :P PPPPPPPPPPP

I miss my old days playing WoW..., when I see my video i always want to come back :P PPPPPP, but Im busy enough with the university, the parties and poker lol

i think i can sell my wow account and take some more bankroll for poker :P , ive got a video on internet with more than 1,2 millions visits :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVYncsjeqg
    • sjaakdaniels
      sjaakdaniels
      Bronze
      i traded wow for poker just 3 months ago, after playing for 3+ years.

used to play shadowpriest, almost nuked algalon 10 man before i quit, must say my gaming skills come in very handy for multitabling, lots of overview! pewpewlazorbeam!
    • EdgarAronov
      EdgarAronov
      Bronze

:f_grin: :f_grin:
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lichoman1
      WoW Im glad to hear that im not the only one :O , we are only 3 :P

WoW is the MMORPG most played on internet but we are very little on poker, maybe WoW is too funny to leave it :P PPPPPPPPPPP

I miss my old days playing WoW..., when I see my video i always want to come back :P PPPPPP, but Im busy enough with the university, the parties and poker lol

i think i can sell my wow account and take some more bankroll for poker :P , ive got a video on internet with more than 1,2 millions visits :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwVYncsjeqg
      well im a starcraft player so cant count myself as someone who moved from wow to poker :P wow is pretty much just a fun game, not much of a co-relation to poker :P ..anyway.errm yeh :P
    • lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by sjaakdaniels
      i traded wow for poker just 3 months ago, after playing for 3+ years.

used to play shadowpriest, almost nuked algalon 10 man before i quit, must say my gaming skills come in very handy for multitabling, lots of overview! pewpewlazorbeam!
      Oh yeah, i used to control 32 keyboards keys with my left hand and a mouse with 8 keys binded with my right hand and right, it comes really good for multitabling :P .
    • lichoman1
      lichoman1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dendra

well im a starcraft player so cant count myself as someone who moved from wow to poker :P wow is pretty much just a fun game, not much of a co-relation to poker :P ..anyway.errm yeh :P
      I wonder what is the co-relation between Starcraft and Poker, i mean, many of poker players nowadays were Starcraft players before (maybe thanks to Elky). So what skills Starcraft players use in their game that also can use in poker?????????.

I think only the fast reaction because of the "binding" keys , im right???
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      I used to play. Had a Warlock since vanilla. Stopped playing after TBC came and came back to test out Death Knight.

I raided in one of the EU's top guilds but Ulduar and ToC were so boring that I quit couple of months ago.

Is ICC any good? I'd like to see it, but if it's another bore fest, I CBA.
    • Pokstaz
      Pokstaz
      Bronze
      wow sick skill lichoman
    • heelia
      heelia
      Bronze
      I used to play WoW too. I always missing the great times raiding MC, wiping in BWL, progressing in AQ40 and before - times when UBRS was 10man raid and we were doing hardly a preQ for Onyx - yes, this was a tough lady too - When TBC came, and WotLK - it stopped to be the real WoW for me :-( So I have stopped after tryin WotLK for about half year ago.
      I'll be so happy start to play from 1-60 only, start raiding UBRS, ZG, prepare for AQ20 etc.. Dunno if here are some oldschool players too - When some1 was a High Warlord (Rank 14 in PvP if I remember right), he was a king - only one on the server and after many and many days spent on killing others battlegrounds :-)

Had 70 Protadin, 76 Fury Shammy, 72 RestoDruid and 70 MM hunt ;)
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze
      used to play lineage 2, where u lost like 1-5 hours worth of grind every time u died :P loved the pvp, people got super gay pve lovers on high levels tho (priv server, 1x rates)
      never tryied wow, and never will :D
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      Wow was fun at release, I had a group of 4 friends with whom we terrorised the server Aggamaggan with insanely stupid dork & loltroll jokes while being on LAN and laughing our asses off.

However I never really got the hang of farming a raid instance all over and over again, it just got so tedious. First times in MC and killing Ony & Ragna sure were cool, but it just wasnt that interesting. I quit the patch before TBC came as I joined the service and after that I never just reactivated.

WoW was fun but it's just that the game was so easy. When it is compared to a really good MMO - Dark Age of Camelot and it's RvR scene - it just pales in comparison.
    • iamblueandurmine
      iamblueandurmine
      Bronze
      I played CSS for years, i banned myself from buying WoW for addiction reasons! but did my dissertation on comparing adolescents and adults and the difference in time spent online, using WoW as the main format for comparison.. scary stuff..

I certainly think there are many correlations between gaming and poker, i would truely love to read more into this so if anyone finds any good articles please post em!
    • Ave27
      Ave27
      Bronze
      i play starcraft still, used to play WoW, counter-strike, and halo.
    • Dendra
      Dendra
      Bronze

I wonder what is the co-relation between Starcraft and Poker, i mean, many of poker players nowadays were Starcraft players before (maybe thanks to Elky). So what skills Starcraft players use in their game that also can use in poker?????????.

hehe, elky didnt start this trend or something, it's just that starcraft has many similarities to poker. and no, starcraft is not just about "bindings", it's about the number of things you have to pay attention to at the same time, dividing your attention to each aspect of the game accordingly to its priority at the given time in the match.

basically let's say wc3 needs an average of150 actions per minute to do everything the game allows you to - whereas in starcraft you need 220+ to be competitive on pro level and only sky is the limit because it's not humanly possible to use all the freedom the game gives you.

starcraft has a lot of mind games, reading your opponents, bluffing, however, there are two big difference between starcraft and poker.

poker is to the extreme a thinking game where you have to outplay your opponents in the mind games. meanwhile starcraft has no single element which has a much higher importance than other elements of the game - micro (both micro as seen in wc3 but also in other forms), macro, map control, reading your opponents, etc. it all plays an important role.

while poker has a tremendous amount of luck, enough to force people to go around courts to prove it's not gambling (depends how you play it :) ), starcraft has zero to none luck factor in the game - i'd say like 1% of luck is something which is out of your hands, whereas any other forms of "luck" are things you create on your own - aka you spot someone's incoming air drop into your base with your army, it's not luck, you wanted to send your army somewhere and your actions led to busting your opponent's plans.

both games are mentally hard, as in poker you have to deal with luck (bad luck actually), in starcraft you have to deal with getting pretty much raped due to insane lack of skills compared to your opponent :)

-yes, you'll pretty much cry and crawl around, begging for a victory for the first 1-2 years of starcraft. and when you finally think you've figured out the game and started playing it "well", you'll realize you just made it through the first level...and now you need to learn the actual game and everything you have learned thus far will need to be corrected over time, over and over again, as you start doing things faster and faster

yes, it's a brutal world where no "amateurs" (read: fish) and casual players can hope to survive and be winning players. this aspect of the game makes it perhaps easier for starcraft players to successfully overcome the obstacles in poker and survive the tough days - because we're used to taking a beating from other players because it's a part of the learning process and if you want to become good, you gotta take "some" hits :)

poker is so popular amongst all types of people because anyone can win anyone, i can go play phil ivey heads-up and win him if I play it like a gambler, if I try to outplay him, I'll lose - this way you get tournaments with fish who reach the final table no matter how much they suck, it's just pure luck - sad thing is even good players need some luck to reach the final table, luck is just a part of the game :)

in starcraft there is no help for you - you literally have to do everything on your own, there are so many details you have to pay attention to you'd be amazed :P this is why the game is not noob-friendly, but it's also a fun game just like any other if you play it with friends, all oblivious to what you really can do in starcraft :)

i'm sad people look for an easy road and i always criticised that in the e-sports world, even had some player(s) from the no1 wc3 team in the world openly saying they chose wc3 over starcraft because it's easier to become good at it :) that's because most of the people are too lazy for a real challenge, they want to be winners - so they play what they can win and against players they can win, I mean it's no fun playing something where a guy owns your a** 24/7 for a decade and you cant touch him nor even get close to a feeling that you had him :P
    • 1wayman
      1wayman
      Bronze
      where are the good/gold old times when i had time to play wow and poker... unfortunately there was none left for study.
    • richard1817
      richard1817
      Bronze
      http://www.youtube.com/user/athenewins?blend=1&ob=4&rclk=cth

He was rank 1st in world on wow. Now he is a pokerstars pro. SN Chiren80
    • randomdonk
      randomdonk
      Bronze

hehe, elky didnt start this trend or something, it's just that starcraft has many similarities to poker. and no, starcraft is not just about "bindings", it's about the number of things you have to pay attention to at the same time, dividing your attention to each aspect of the game accordingly to its priority at the given time in the match.

basically let's say wc3 needs an average of150 actions per minute to do everything the game allows you to - whereas in starcraft you need 220+ to be competitive on pro level and only sky is the limit because it's not humanly possible to use all the freedom the game gives you.

starcraft has a lot of mind games, reading your opponents, bluffing, however, there are two big difference between starcraft and poker.

poker is to the extreme a thinking game where you have to outplay your opponents in the mind games. meanwhile starcraft has no single element which has a much higher importance than other elements of the game - micro (both micro as seen in wc3 but also in other forms), macro, map control, reading your opponents, etc. it all plays an important role.

while poker has a tremendous amount of luck, enough to force people to go around courts to prove it's not gambling (depends how you play it :) ), starcraft has zero to none luck factor in the game - i'd say like 1% of luck is something which is out of your hands, whereas any other forms of "luck" are things you create on your own - aka you spot someone's incoming air drop into your base with your army, it's not luck, you wanted to send your army somewhere and your actions led to busting your opponent's plans.

both games are mentally hard, as in poker you have to deal with luck (bad luck actually), in starcraft you have to deal with getting pretty much raped due to insane lack of skills compared to your opponent :)

-yes, you'll pretty much cry and crawl around, begging for a victory for the first 1-2 years of starcraft. and when you finally think you've figured out the game and started playing it "well", you'll realize you just made it through the first level...and now you need to learn the actual game and everything you have learned thus far will need to be corrected over time, over and over again, as you start doing things faster and faster

yes, it's a brutal world where no "amateurs" (read: fish) and casual players can hope to survive and be winning players. this aspect of the game makes it perhaps easier for starcraft players to successfully overcome the obstacles in poker and survive the tough days - because we're used to taking a beating from other players because it's a part of the learning process and if you want to become good, you gotta take "some" hits :)

poker is so popular amongst all types of people because anyone can win anyone, i can go play phil ivey heads-up and win him if I play it like a gambler, if I try to outplay him, I'll lose - this way you get tournaments with fish who reach the final table no matter how much they suck, it's just pure luck - sad thing is even good players need some luck to reach the final table, luck is just a part of the game :)

in starcraft there is no help for you - you literally have to do everything on your own, there are so many details you have to pay attention to you'd be amazed :P this is why the game is not noob-friendly, but it's also a fun game just like any other if you play it with friends, all oblivious to what you really can do in starcraft :)

i'm sad people look for an easy road and i always criticised that in the e-sports world, even had some player(s) from the no1 wc3 team in the world openly saying they chose wc3 over starcraft because it's easier to become good at it :) that's because most of the people are too lazy for a real challenge, they want to be winners - so they play what they can win and against players they can win, I mean it's no fun playing something where a guy owns your a** 24/7 for a decade and you cant touch him nor even get close to a feeling that you had him :P
      damn u make me wanna try sc now. never been a big fan of rts tho, i'm more of a duel fps kind of guy :D