My BRM isn't working. Need advice.

• jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi.

I've been playing SSS and moving up limits when I reach 40 buy ins for the new limit. Then I move back down when I'm down to 40 buy ins for the lower limit.

The problem is I just keep going up and down. I'm back to where I started. How do I break this cycle? Even with rakeback and bonuses I don't see how to keep moving up. I'm still playing profitably at the higher limits according to PT3 EV graph. I'm also doing better in the non showdown hands in the higher limits. According to Pokertableratings.com I play best at the highest limit I've played.

Any advice?

Thanks

PS - the limits I've played are NL10 NL25 NL50
  • 14 replies
    • Atoks
      Atoks
      Gold
      Not a SSS player but it applies to any type of poker really: patience is a virtue. Much as it sucks to wait around waiting to start bringing in the bigger cash, the comfort and relaxation u have when playing with a proper bankroll adds a lot EV to ur game. What u could also do, before moving up is winning 50 or more BIs for the limit u wish to move to. That way u might get a bit more time to establish urself.

The encouraging thing I see here is the fact that u are able to stay disciplined. That alone should be a boost to ur confidence and even a source of satisfaction. Hang in there and I hope u pick the right solution to ur issue :)
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Thanks. I think I'm going to try using a 50+ buy in BRM. It's getting very frustrating being so far below EV at NL25 and NL50 and way above EV at NL10. As long as I'm playing +EV and following BRM at least I won't go broke. It would be nice to actually make some cash one day. I'm not even at 100k hands yet so I'll try to be patient a while longer.

Thanks
    • THeGaME23
      THeGaME23
      Bronze
      What happens to me when I play a lower BRM than I would like is I start to unconsciously tilt myself just because I know how long it takes to make 1 buy in from the lower limit to cover X (bad beat etc) so then I start playing bad and it spirals. My advice would be to not move up a level until you feel completely confident and have enough so that you can survive a couple bad first tries and give it another shot. GL
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by THeGaME23
      What happens to me when I play a lower BRM than I would like is I start to unconsciously tilt myself just because I know how long it takes to make 1 buy in from the lower limit to cover X (bad beat etc) so then I start playing bad and it spirals. My advice would be to not move up a level until you feel completely confident and have enough so that you can survive a couple bad first tries and give it another shot. GL
      Hey

Well I'm comfortable with the buy-ins and BRM ( I play BSS NL200 live ) I admit that I have had some problems with tilt but this is a very different problem. Whats happening to me is when I move up to NL25 I run a little below EV but with rakeback/bonuses I turn a nice profit. Then when I move to NL50 I run way below EV until I drop back NL25 then NL10. This has repeated 3 times now and I've only been playing for 2 1/2 months. Currently I'm 22 BI above EV at NL10, 12 BI below EV at NL25 and almost 40 BI below EV at NL50. It really sucks to win all the coinflips at NL10 and lose them all at NL50. I've come to the conclusion that I've been moving up and down these limits too quickly. My downswings come at NL25 and NL50 and force me to NL10. Then variance works in my favor when I'm playing for $2 buy ins.
    • VheroM
      VheroM
      Bronze
      I can tell you that if you play well success will come. Personally I grinded last week and basically broke even. Then all of a sudden I went on a sick heatern and ran sometyhing like 25% over EV and made a bunch of money.
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      My 2cents,

I gave up on SSS as I just couldn't deal with the swings, too many times I sat down thinking I had 3 hours to play and lost between 5 and 10 BIs in the first hour. Also couldn't deal with essentially playing preflop poker.

What I do now is play BSS but since my BR is somewhat between limits I will usually load up 2 tables of high limit and 4-6 depending on my mood of the lower limit. Although my sample sizes are obviously quite far apart I am doing much better at the higher limit and have almost recovered my SSS losses.
    • miropro
      miropro
      Bronze
      Put a loss limit to yourself,quit playing after 3-5 BI minus in one day.
      Chill and continue tommorow.
      :s_love:
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miropro
      Put a loss limit to yourself,quit playing after 3-5 BI minus in one day.
      Chill and continue tommorow.
      :s_love:
      I play with a stop loss of 7 buy ins. This sometimes happens after hours of play and once it happened in just 30 minutes.
    • StaticMoth
      StaticMoth
      Silver
      Originally posted by AlexanderD22
      I gave up on SSS as I just couldn't deal with the swings ...

Also couldn't deal with essentially playing preflop poker ...

What I do now is play BSS ...
      ... and have almost recovered my SSS losses.

+1 :)
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Hi everyone.

I took 6 weeks off from online poker after almost busting. I started playing again but with BSS. So far it's going well. Full tilt has changed alot in only 6 weeks. I was surprised to see that there's no short stackers anymore. Been building my bankroll up slowly at the micros. Tried this rush poker and I'm a little confused by it. Seems just as swingy as SSS. I'm doing much better now that I've switched to BSS and SNG.

I'm glad I tried SSS but wouldn't do it again. It was great for clearing bonuses but I really can't handle he swings.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      I was surprised to see that there's no short stackers anymore.
      There are plenty of them! They are just an extra 15BB juicier now. Yum!
    • jonnyquest
      jonnyquest
      Bronze
      Originally posted by tokyoaces
      Originally posted by jonnyquest
      I was surprised to see that there's no short stackers anymore.
      There are plenty of them! They are just an extra 15BB juicier now. Yum!
      Really? The tables I've been playing on were all full stacks and a couple deep stacks (200bb+). The one rush poker session I tried was full of people around 25-50bb stacks.
    • buhhy
      buhhy
      Bronze
      Lol... FT changed the min buyin to 15 BB.
    • tokyoaces
      tokyoaces
      Bronze
      Originally posted by buhhy
      Lol... FT changed the min buyin to 35 BB.
      fyp