is there a middle ground between bss and sss ?

• Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      I'm playing no limit 10 and I quite like playing with 50bb and I've been having some success in the past few days...

just wondering if I should really go with a BSS strategy or if can stay playing with my 50bb ?

By the way when should you leave your table playing BSS ? I'm leaving my table when I have 60% more than my starting stack i.e. I come with 5$ leave when I reach 8$ or more when my rbit finishes

What are your thoughts on this ?

Moonwolf52000 freezing in the great white north Canada
  • 8 replies
    • kosmonaut111
      kosmonaut111
      Bronze
      Somewhere they teach 50BB strategy, but it is not good... BSS is far better.
      So I reccomend you to start playing proper BSS.
      Leaving the table: with BSS you leave the table, when you dont feel comfortable anymore. I can now play 200+ BB deep without troubles, but earlier I didn´t feel comfortable anymore playing so deep. Also you should leave, when you feel that this table isnt profitable enaough (fishes leave or you dont feel comfortable playing against maniac etc...).

Where have you learned this halfstack strategy ? Or do you play BSS with half stack (it is not profitable this way) ?
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      where did i earn it ? on my own lol

Seriously I do feel comfortable playing with 50bb and since I can't stand people playing at nl5 (for some reason I got all those people not respecting my raises and playing with j3 or 6 10and sucking me out... maybe I just got bad luck or something but I do find that people at nl10 actually begin to care about the money a little more and play more proper poker

and thing is I don't have the bankroll to play at nl10 with bss yet but I am thinking about it. So I am playing bss with a half stack and doing good so far... as well since I can only play with one table. (can only play with 1 table since I am legally blind... meaning I see very little and need to make the table much bigger... I'm playing my opponents more when I do have the cards to call a raise or open raise.
    • KidPokersKid
      KidPokersKid
      Global
      The problem with playing with 40bb aka midstack... is that you cannot use materials from PS because the concepts that are taught are assuming 20bb or 100bbs... the math behind playing MSS is very different(less implied for villans who open wide ) and you may be running good now but as you said you are only playing one table so that could just be some variance.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      Try to learn either BSS or SSS, don't go for some mid strategy. Like you said, you learned it by your own and that is first huge mistake. I doubt you have (some chance that you may have) mental skills to beat poker at NL50, NL600 and NL1000 with your "own" strategy.

Why should you re-invent the wheel when you have it already made - pokerstrategy provides you with a large amount of different articles, videos, coachings. Why don't you use great materials like those?
    • PocketAcesJohn
      PocketAcesJohn
      Bronze
      I personally would say stick with MSS until you have bigger BR. When i first started playing poker i'd buy in for 100BB and lose, so then i'd try playing with 75BB i'd lose. So i tryed 50BB BI and was very profitable i was beating NL100 very confortabley buying in for $50 (I worked my way up from NL4). I then switched to S&Gs for a little bit. Coming back to cash games i started BSSing and havnt looked back since.

You will want to start BSSing at somepoint but just from personal experience id say stick with MSS until you think its time for a change. Just because alot of people dismiss MSS as stupid, pointless or disadvantages doesnt mean that it is. In it's own way MSS is a piece of beauty. Theres more to MSS than people think and believe. Good luck.
    • Zemnieks11
      Zemnieks11
      Bronze
      I have player MSS at NL25 and very profitably. People don't respect you and you get all-ins with youre monsters more often since you ain't got full stack its cheaper for them to call you till end! And i still don't feel good playing BSS neither SSS but i am learning and tho not winning that big as with MSS!
    • Moonwolf52000
      Moonwolf52000
      Bronze
      I am actually reading those materials and videos and they are of a great help... As I said I don't have the bankroll as of yet to play BSS on nl10 but I do plan on using it in the future. I was just asking if there was perhaps a middle ground

Do I lack some of the skill for the higher limits ? Probably but I learn from my mistakes and take notes from my opponents. I do believe that I will be able to move my way up little by little... and I am reading and rereading the articles

I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or anything just finding a middle ground between sss and sss in the meantime that I have the bankroll for bss at nl10
    • kinkink220
      kinkink220
      Bronze
      I started to play my PS starting capital with MSS on NL5 and the results were very bad for some time. I switched to BSS without changing my play style alot and the improvement was really big. It depends on the play style of course, I play with a lot of c-bets and steal attempts and people really don't respect my half stack and play against me a lot. Double ups are just 50BB double ups, while my stack keeps decreasing from unsuccessful stabs at the pot or contant reraises of my medium hands. Its much much better with max buy in, the moves that you can make are much stronger, the double ups that u can make are bigger. You can afford to make enough 3bets, 4bets and stuff, without being pot comitted only with full stack :)

Good luck!