Anyone that's studying in England here?

• Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello!

Since I'm concidering moving to England next year and studying there (i'm from Slovenia), I would like to know if there's anyone here that studies there and could give me some information on it?
  • 23 replies
    • SamBurton5
      SamBurton5
      Bronze
      yup i do:)
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze

Hi Primzi,

Hope to have helped.

Best regards
      SoyCD

:s_love: :s_love: Welcome back to the forums m8 ;)
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Sam: could you add me and message me on skype please (b-boy-fire)?

Johannes: thanks, if i ever get to London i'll make sure that one of those big red busses gets delivered to gibraltar ;)
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      Be prepared for a shock.....London is nothing like the pictures :D
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by lennonac
      Be prepared for a shock.....London is nothing like the pictures :D
      What's it like then? Apart from the Red Phone boxes which are obviously no more you can still find scenes like from those pictures...... You just have to be in very specific parts of the city/ at a museum.

My advice Primzi is to get some money if you want to go to london, Drinks cost a bloody fortune, especially in clubs.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Hello all!

Well, I've discussed this with my parents and they agreed to me going to study there, so england it is :) . I'll probably choose the computing bsc programme, but i haven't quite decided about which uni to go to yet. I was thinking about the London metropolitan college, but since there seem to be some affairs going on there, I might as well choose something else. Today I've been looking at the Bristol university and it seems quite nice :) . I'll have to start saving money though... The tuition is about 3600€ per year, the accomodation is about 500€ a month and I'm also going to need a new lap top... But I'm sure that in the end, it will all be worth my while :) .
    • SallaMC
      SallaMC
      Bronze
      I studied in the UK, and the application process back then was through UCAS:
      http://www.ucas.com/
      I had to put down 6 universities that I would consider and the ones that liked my grades got back to me. If it is still like that, then you might not end up beeing the one who chooses your university.
      I ended up in Wales btw. We had lots of poker action on campus. It was definitely fun from that point of view.
      Good luck with your search and make sure you apply before the end of January.
      Cheers, Sebastian
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I study in UK, I would recommend against studying in London as with the student loans you get the living cost of London is simply too high. I'm studying in Newcastle University, in the Top 20 Universities in the UK, friendly locals, and voted the best student city in the UK, very cheap on a night out aswell ;)

Hope it helped.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      salla and wriggers, thanks for the feedback :) . I will pick 5 or 6 unis that have the desired programme, but hopefully i will get accepted into bristol as it seems really good :) . I would consider newcastle and longhbourne (spelling?) as well but they don't have the computing bsc :( . so right now i'm trying to get as much info as possible on the unis, and next week i will sign up for the international english test, fill out the application and send it to my school for the refference. if everything goes well, my school's headmistress will write the refference which should help quite a lot :) . then it's just a long time wait...
    • kingdippy2008
      kingdippy2008
      Bronze
      hahaha Soy that was england in like the 1950's :D
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      No Computing Bsc at Newcastle? That's a surprise. I could swear I knew someone doing Computing, although that may have been COmputer Science.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Soy wins the internets
    • Mahlzahn
      Mahlzahn
      Bronze
      Hi,

I am currently in Birmingham doing my Master. It´s just great. Very international, shitloads of new people and my university has a good reputation in my field. To get an idea bout universities and their reputation in a certain field, you can check some rankings like the guardian or the times university rankings. I would definetly recommend doing a bachelor/master abroad, because it´s really an experience. You get to know new people, adapt to a new environment, do something for your CV and have loads of fun ;)
      Only real bad thing is the money and the weather... The whole year (Tuition, accomodation, other living costs, travelling etc.) costs a bloody fortune...
    • wquinn636
      wquinn636
      Bronze
      I'm in Manchester. Couldn't recommend it enough.
    • lennonac
      lennonac
      Global
      I hope I dont offend anyone but the north of England is a real hole, obviously oxford, cambridge are almost impossible to get into. Bristol is a really good uni, along with my big rivals portsmouth. Although porstmouth is a hole too.

Daphunk, no London is not like the pictures, there are no phoneboxes or buses like that anymore. You will find the odd tourist bus like that but thats it. The real london is a dark,dirty, dangerous place

Edit:
      Someone mentioned Birmingham which is a very good university
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Bronze
      there is definitely computing in newcastle

wriggers im in northumbria!!
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I hope I dont offend anyone but the north of England is a real hole, obviously oxford, cambridge are almost impossible to get into. Bristol is a really good uni, along with my big rivals portsmouth. Although porstmouth is a hole too.

Daphunk, no London is not like the pictures, there are no phoneboxes or buses like that anymore. You will find the odd tourist bus like that but thats it. The real london is a dark,dirty, dangerous place

Edit:
      That's a bit prejudice :D ;)

Newcastle is one of the friendliest and prettiest cities i've ever been to in the UK, it's certainly a much nicer place to be than London. Manchester and Liverpool have recently been renovated and are also very nice places in the centre. I believe Newcastle have what is considered as the prettiest high street in the UK :)

What year are you in excelgeo? And where abouts do you live?
    • nafar84
      nafar84
      Bronze
      I did Computing Science at uni of Greenwich. I believe their CMS department was among the best in London even though the uni itself is not as prestigious as some others. But man, the area is definitely worth it, and IMO Greenwich is easily the best place to live in London for a student... close enough to central london without being as expensive, Greenwich Park + observatory is simply wonderful with a great view (you can spend all day there and never get bored), it's a very safe place and it just has that intimate "village" feel to it.
    • excelgeo
      excelgeo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Wriggers

Edit:
      That's a bit prejudice :D ;)

Newcastle is one of the friendliest and prettiest cities i've ever been to in the UK, it's certainly a much nicer place to be than London. Manchester and Liverpool have recently been renovated and are also very nice places in the centre. I believe Newcastle have what is considered as the prettiest high street in the UK :)
      +1

Im in my final year. And in Heaton. fancy a pint?