PLO Tournaments

• Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Yesterday I played two PLO tournaments, just for fun. I cashed in only one, didn't really make any money between the two. I found it interesting. I found that the players were mostly quite bad,... much worse than in cash games. There was a ton of open limping, and hardly any preflop raising at all. I adjusted my strategy and limped more with so-so holdings to try to catch a good flop. For the most part it worked out. I would like to steal more in this type of game, and I did pull off one bare ace bluff, but on other occasions I got called with hands that normally shouldn't call me unless they put me on a bluff.

Anyone here have experience with PLO tournaments? They are different from cash games, because saving chips is now very important. I think perhaps playing very tight, limping a lot rather than raising preflop, and playing the flop well might work out for tournaments.

I would like to discuss PLO tournament strategy with anyone who has experience because it seems to me like an area that can have massive gains.
  • 7 replies
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      Played tons of PLO MTTs on Party, usually around 40 people showed up, so final tabling was quite easy.

Open limping is not a sign of bad play in FR PLO MTT. I do that all the time because:

1) at least half of the field (but usually like 80%) are idiots, so raising with ANY hand is bad, because you will get like 4 or 5 callers and will not hit the flop too often;
      2) limping lets you see the flop cheaply, and thats good because in PLO no hands have huge PF edge.

Sure, open raising from CO or BU is a must. I also start raising later in the game, when the blinds are higher and alot of donks are out already.

About massive gains from PLO MTT - not sure, those tournaments progress quite slowly, you could be pwning cash game and earning frequent player points instead of playing the donkament. An option is to 3 or 5-table cash games and open one tournament.

ABC poker is best in those kind of tournaments - pot flop, fold rubbish :f_p:

Played that huge PLO KO event yesterday on FTP, finished 669th out of 3708. You have to win flips to get ITM :f_grin:
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Thanks for the good insight Jackalof. I agree completely with your strategy. Also, would you open raise smaller than in cash games? In cash games I'd always pot open raise,... but in MTT's if the players are going to defend more, raising smaller might be better?

What I meant about massive gains is the prospect of the win. A player can double his/her bankroll from one tournament win. Or you can win some huge event and skyrocket your bankroll. Of course, unfortunately PLO is much less popular than NLHE so those huge prize tournaments are more scarce.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      This just in: played MTT just because of you, Jeero, because you created this thread.

1st out of 174, BI $3.

Sure I open less, 2.5BB or even less, like 2.35BB. In later stages it is enough to create fold equity + alot of players are trying to fold ITM.

Sadly, this win does not cover my 9BI loss in cash games today :f_p:
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Congrats! I have yet to win an MTT :(

On a related note, I played in a mixed event (PLHE and PLO) and got 7th for ~$15. The mixed format was cool because I'm sure there was a lot of people who played PLO like hold'em. Overall it was a really fun event.
    • AlexanderD22
      AlexanderD22
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jackalof
      Played tons of PLO MTTs on Party, usually around 40 people showed up, so final tabling was quite easy.

Open limping is not a sign of bad play in FR PLO MTT. I do that all the time because:

1) at least half of the field (but usually like 80%) are idiots, so raising with ANY hand is bad, because you will get like 4 or 5 callers and will not hit the flop too often;
      2) limping lets you see the flop cheaply, and thats good because in PLO no hands have huge PF edge.

Sure, open raising from CO or BU is a must. I also start raising later in the game, when the blinds are higher and alot of donks are out already.

About massive gains from PLO MTT - not sure, those tournaments progress quite slowly, you could be pwning cash game and earning frequent player points instead of playing the donkament. An option is to 3 or 5-table cash games and open one tournament.

ABC poker is best in those kind of tournaments - pot flop, fold rubbish :f_p:

Played that huge PLO KO event yesterday on FTP, finished 669th out of 3708. You have to win flips to get ITM :f_grin:
      First off congrats on the win!

Couldn't agree more about almost worthless raising preflop in PLO MTTs, even more so at micro limits. Just as an example I played one of those .10 360 man on PS. I was in the cutoff about 4 hands in and got AAKK double suited and entire table limped before me, not sure if it was the right play or not but I just raised pot because at that point I wanted the pot right then and there. 6 callers behind me, ugh. Needless to say I folded on the flop after 2 players jammed from UTG-MP. Players are so bad one hit 2 pair with his junk hand and the other hand 3rd nut flush draw, which he hit to win the pot. What can you do, try again another day I guess.
    • Jackalof
      Jackalof
      Bronze
      That's a very nice example, AlexanderD22, even with such a monster limping is better because if you hit, you will win a huge pot anyway because opposition will stack off with two pair, some weakish flush draws and so on. So no need to build the pot preflop.
    • Leito99
      Leito99
      Bronze
      i agree that its is very profitable to play omaha because a lot of players play really really bad... i tried 3 $1omaha 45oplayers a while back and went all in preflop woth aces and lost in one...bt finished second and first in the other 2...there were about a third of the players sitting out for some reason...maybe bedtime and the were about 10% of them decent players. It was only 1$ buy in but it was still very easy money comparing to holdem where i can't get top 2 in 2 out of 3 but i didnt think it was much fun though anyway....prefer holdem cuz i hav a better "feel" of it

but one day i will play some more becauuse even though im bad at it ...its funny to see what some of the others are doing