[NL2-NL10] NL5 fr, steal hits 2:nd pair

• Janusrichmond
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is BU with Q, 7.
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, SB calls $0.18, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.45) K, 4, Q (2 players)
      SB bets $0.25, Hero calls $0.25.

Turn: ($0.95) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20.

River: ($1.35) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.20, Hero folds, SB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $1.35.

I tried to steal here with my Q7o from BU. I know I don´t have a good hand but I thought I would take it home on preflop/on flop with C-bet often enought to make it profitable.
      When I hit middle pair on flop It felt to weak to give it up right on the flop because I thought he might donk with anything because I hade been stealing pretty much..
      My intention was to bet if he checked to me on the turn or fold to another bet. But when he bet like 1/4 of the potsize I thought I could call with five outs (reversed if I hit trips and he have flush..) to improve or maybe a hand strong enought for a showdown vs a bluff..

When looking at the hand I feel that he is probably holding a king, donking first for value and protection and then get scared by the turncard, thinking I might be on a draw, this could make him do some kind of smallish blockbet if he is fishy I think..
      Should I have folded right on the flop? or maybe preflop because I had stealt pretty much (without any defence from anyone)?
      Or should I have folded on turn, or did I play it okey??..
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Really depends a lot on what kind of player he is, i can see myself folding/calling/raising that flop against wildly different players.

I think calling is reasonable against an unknown the first time around, we get to see whether he'll follow up with it or not and the board is liable to hit a lot of hands. I'd probably just fold the turn even tho we're getting great odds because this should scare him enough with worse hands to not bet there, unless you think he's capable of being pure bluffing, and even then, he could still have outs if he has a spade or something.

If he does that very rarely then just fold and continue to take down pots when he stays quiet.

If he's doing that all the time, with a very wide range, turning 2PNK into a semi-bluff by raising is a viable option to combat his aggression, especially if he's usually following up with his donks because KQx 2 tones tends to get kinda ugly very fast, which makes calling down very uncomfortable.

Hope it helps.