Preflop SSS

• c4t0r
      c4t0r
      Bronze
      I am reading Slansky's "The Theory of Poker" atm. and currently i am reading chapter 4, "ante structure" - his basic statement there if i get it right, is that your preflop bets should be sized according to your pot-odds (the money that is already in the pot compared to your bet) and the win-expectation of your hand (probability to hold the best hand after the river). I am wondering how to apply this to SSS, because at a first glance SSS seemed very monotone and rigid to me, and one would argue that always raising the same amount would be less predictible to other players. If i get Slansky right though (which i am not sure) that is a mistake in the sense, that over the long run i'd almost surely loose against a player that dynamically (and of course well-calculated) sizes his bets.

At a second glance though the predictability argument does not convince me: Dynamically sizing the bets would depend a lot on positions and on how many players are already in the pot, combined with the natural variance of your starting hands (you rarely will get AKs so frequently that someone could easily calculate your raise for AK compared to the sum in the pot) it does not seem very predictable to me.

What do more exprerienced players think about preflop SSS?
  • 1 reply
    • Berliner1982
      Berliner1982
      Bronze
      The SSS is more a tool for beginners to have a more easy start into No Limit Poker, to allow them to built a bankroll without making to many postflop decisions (where they will make tons of mistakes in the beginning - thats natural). So playing the SSS means only playing your best hands, so that in the long run you will win.

SSS is a pretty good start to play and the preflopchart is good as well (in higher limits you adjust your preflop play a lot more, because you also make Blind Steals, Restealraises etc. and you play more over Equity).