[NL2-NL10] Nl5 Qq

• michaelqian
      Hi all

Would like some advice on this hand. I can't remember his stats but I think it was something like 16/10/2 over 100 hands.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.02/$0.05 No-Limit Hold'em (8 handed)

Known players:

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q, Q.
      UTG2 folds, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, CO raises to $0.80, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.60.

Preflop ok?

Flop: ($1.67) 7, 5, 7 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.00, CO calls $1.00.

The plan to was bet and hope he folds, or fold to a raise, but instead he calls which puts me in a slightly difficult spot. I put him on JJ, KK or even AA.

Turn: ($3.67) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $3.25(All-In), Hero calls $3.20(All-In).

Obviously the dream turn card for me, please comment on the following.

1. I thought this was a good opportunity to check and let him think that he has the best hand. I thought it's highly likely he has a high pair and is willing to bet if I showed him weakness. This worked.

2. What should I do if the turn card was NOT a Q? Clearly 90% of the time it won't be a Q. Should I continue to bet?

River: ($10.12) 9 (2 players)

Final Pot: $10.12.

Thanks a lot
  • 1 reply
    • MaestroOfZerg

Without history a 16/10 tag probably doesn't even have JJ in his range for 3betting you in these positions, you'll probably see mostly AK/QQ+.

On the flop i prefer check/calling against what looks like an ABC nit. He'll c-bet AK more often than not whereas he might fold it to a donkbet and only continue with stuff that crushes you. He'll also bet worse overpairs if he somehow has those, and that prevents you from having to fold your hand to a raise, which is really weak and by no means cheaper than check/calling the flop and folding on the turn. Folding to a turn bet is rarely going to be a mistake against that guy, he's not going to barrel you with a worse hand. If you're worried about the sample being small and him possibly having a lot more lower overpairs in his range, then check/raise and go broke or call him down.

As played on the turn it doesn't matter much, i don't think he's folding anything unless he gave you a suspicion call with AK on the flop, in which case chances are he'll check it down and not put any more money in unless he improves. He's obviously not going anywhere with KK+, i'd be very surprised if he folded even JJ tho he might check it back and find a fold if the river is A or K. Overall if you think he raises your flop donk with an overpair, meaning his calling range is mostly AK, checking the turn and shoving the river is fine. If you think he's folding AK or not raising JJ+ on the flop, i'd prefer just jamming the turn myself to ensure we get JJ's money i don't think he's going anywhere with it.

Hope it helps.