6max strategy problems?

• icegooner4
      icegooner4
      Bronze
      My strategy for playing the 6max SnGs is to play solid for the first couple of blind levels because these donk will call any bet with any old garbage so it's not worth raising unless you have a premium hand imo.

The problem is I keep getting in the same situation that loses me half my stack and effectively cripples my chances of winning. The situation is that I bet/raise with AK & AQ and get called pre by somebody with position on me. Ofcourse I very rarely hit the flop, but I cbet almost every time, and get callaed or raised everytime and lose a big % of my stack.

Now I'm wondering if I should chance the way I play these hands oop early, if I should just play small ball poker or if I should stop cbetting when I miss (which effectively loses me the pot since the opponent/s often just bets behind a check.

What do you think?
  • 11 replies
    • icegooner4
      icegooner4
      Bronze
      or not... great forum dudes!
    • LgWz
      LgWz
      Black
      It's hard to give general advice like that, it will improve your game a lot more if you post specific hands in the hand evaluation forum.

btw what buy-in are you talking about?
    • icegooner4
      icegooner4
      Bronze
      micro, $2.25
    • Chymera
      Chymera
      Bronze
      Hy! I would like to share with you my opinion because I very often feel your pain. :) i'm not a full pro, so consider my reply a share of toughts. First of all you should put aside cbetting more often. It's nice to raise preflop with premium hands but if you don't catch anything, don't try to outplay a weaker player who doesn't know much about odds and stuff. Just play a straightforward poker: fit or fold. You will more often than not double up your stack. Try to limp in with good cards sometimes, give them a free card if the table isn't dangerous for you and don't bluff. I hope these advices will help. Good luck!
    • advola
      advola
      Bronze
      I have a crazy ideA - just dont play them!!!
      Play non torbo 9max and winwinwin
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      Is it possible that you are raising too heavily with these hands preflop thus making the pot so big that you're pressured to cbet your whole stack 100% of the time ?

If the blinds are 25/50 and your stack is 1500
      you raise it to 200, say 1 caller and the blinds fold.
      POT 475 FLOP you miss

now if you bet 300-350 and get raised you can happily fold with 1000 chips left ?

As the first reply said, it's hard to comment on without specific examples. It's important that you're not 100% cbetting regardless, some flops/opponents/situations are just not right for it
    • icegooner4
      icegooner4
      Bronze
      I'm betting 3BB + 1BB for each limper almost every time. So say it's level2, 20/40.

I'm in BB with AQo. UTG+1 limps, folds around to SB who completes, I make it 160, limper calls and SB folds. Flop is 27T. Pot is 360. I hate just check/folding here, but it appears these guys are calling/raising every time I miss here so maybe I should just give it up most of the time without reads. But after a couple of these pots I'm giving away I'm down to maybe 1100.

But hey, that's poker
    • nibbana
      nibbana
      Bronze
      I wouldn't see going down to 1100 as a defeat though. You must realise that this type of player that is calling/raising with everything is exactly the player that will pay off your good hands.

If these players aren't respecting your cBet's then perhaps the strategy is to check/fold when you miss and check/raise when you hit ?
    • Schris7
      Schris7
      Bronze
      cbeting with air against 2 opponents for me its a leak especially if u dont have position.cbet less and dont play marginal hands and weak aces if u cant handle the post flop play. also low limits means you have to be less tricky , play straightforward poker abuse the bubble and u will get paid. especially the weak players tend to play loose at first and tighten up much at bubble .
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      that is a theme I also see in fr SnG's. I don't think it is wise to gamble that the are doing this with nothing because many times you will run against a pair and are a dog with you're 6 outs with only 2 cards to come. You could ofcourse lower the times you c-bet if you know these guys tend to c/r when the flop comes low which seems like the more wise decision in this spot. Knowing that is also great because these are the guys that are going to pay you off when you have a big pocket in the same situation
    • tonitza
      tonitza
      Basic
      i'm a newbie but at the begging i also encountered the raising limpers when OOP, and my "advice" is just 3xBB preflop at 40/80 blinds and 2.5xBB at higher blinds levels when u have a good hand, check the flop even if u hit TopPair+ see what your oponent is doing, try to figure his handrange based on the raised amount, and hit him hard with a re-raise, i saw the stealers are very affraid of the check/re-raise actions, and if you missed the flop and villain bets over 2xBB just folded it, on the long term it will affect your stack running for them draws or with dem highcards.