Trip 4s

• Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.8 by www.pokerstrategy.cc.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4:club: , 4:heart:
      UTG+1 calls $0.10, UTG+2 calls $0.10, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, 2 folds, BU raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.65, 2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.60, MP2 calls $0.60.

Flop: ($3.00) 4:diamond: , T:club: , A:spade: (4 players)
      Hero bets $1.09 (All-In), 2 folds, BU calls $1.09.

Turn: ($5.18) J:heart:
      River: ($5.18) K:spade:

Final Pot: $5.18

Results follow (highlight to see):
      BU shows [ Ah, Ad ] three of a kind, Aces
      Hero shows [ 4c, 4h ] three of a kind, Fours
      BU wins $4.93 USD with three of a kind, Aces.

Did I play this right?
  • 9 replies
    • snowylee
      snowylee
      Bronze
      Apart from making the error of calling preflop with 44 it was fine imo. But hey, Im far from being an expert lol. But just stick to the SHC for the SSS, at least I assume you play SSS because of your small stack.
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      flop is perfect, offcorse you're putting it all inw ith trips but DON'T call preflop!
      you dont have implied odds to call for setvalue with such a short stack!

I can't even remember seeing 4's in the shortstack strategy, nor can I see "calling" in the shortstack strategy.
      It's raise, reraise or fold
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      Thanks for the comments.

Ah, I think I've been using the general starting hands chart instead of the SHC for SSS!

Edit:

Oh and there is a "call" on the SSS SHC for "66-22" on BU, SB and BB. But that is only without a raise...
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      you could indeed call with 66-22 in button and blinds but even the button is still marginal since you really dont have a stack to get implied odds
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      Yeah, thanks I realise that now.

My mistake was I was using the standard SHC and instad of the SSS SHC...which is why I guess I was only breaking even :D

seems a bit easier now with the SSS SHC...good job I asked!
    • Nogatsira
      Nogatsira
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Werdna

My mistake was I was using the standard SHC and instad of the SSS SHC...which is why I guess I was only breaking even :D

and make sure you really hold yourself to the chart, don't think "oh, lets raise these 55 in MP" because its a mathematical error.
      strict play with the chart = perfect play.

perfect preflop play is very easy to learn but the hardest part is to actually DO it all correctly.

you'll be a winning player as soon as you play it mathematecly correct

gl!
    • Werdna
      Werdna
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nogatsira
      Originally posted by Werdna

and make sure you really hold yourself to the chart, don't think "oh, lets raise these 55 in MP" because its a mathematical error.
      strict play with the chart = perfect play.

perfect preflop play is very easy to learn but the hardest part is to actually DO it all correctly.

you'll be a winning player as soon as you play it mathematecly correct

gl!
      Thanks for the tips!

I'm pretty sure I was playing "perfect" pre-flop, I was just using the wrong chart! lol
      Pre-flop doesn't seem to be a problem using the chart, just post-flop causes some headaches as to what to raise, how much to raise with what, whether to fold etc.

I've already noticed a slight upswing compared to mainly breaking even using the chart with many more starting hands...

The only thing I sometimes feel tempted with is on SB with a small stack on the BB and everyone else has folded to risk a small raise, as it often results in a fold. As I said, very tempting and fortunately I can usually quickly press "FOLD" :D
    • howard182
      howard182
      Bronze
      Stealing from the SB frequently is a good play against most opponents, almost regardless of your stack size. No chart will teach you "perfect" preflop play, they're just something to build on as you gain a deeper understanding of the game. This is even true for a short stack.
    • Puschkin81
      Puschkin81
      Bronze
      That's correct! But I want to underline it again: for beginners it is absolutely crucial that they stay with the SHC until they have a feeling for the game and have improved their reading skills.

Good luck at the tables!
      Puschkin81