So how do you make someone motivated to learn about poker?

• darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      My idea is something to make new players feel more motivated to learn and recive the $50 to play with. Ive seen on my recuites that most people sign up and validate but doesn't finnish the quiz. And i guess its because of that you get like a zillion of rows you have to read and you don't want to read that if your not motivated to start learning and become a good player (took me about 2 months before I felt like reading the text).

So how do you make someone motivated to learn about poker?

You show them people that did and now make good money on it. But you dont show them this by giving them more text to read... you give them an video (like the blackmember party videos but more about players then party).

So I think PokerStrategy should make somekind of video where you talk about a few players on teh site that now are on teh higher limits and a little about their success in different tournaments and maybe let them talk about how pokerstrategy helped them to reach there (or just make some narrator talk about different players pokerstrategy and poker history).

So, one or a few videos that players get to see before they meet all the strategytext they have to read where they get to see successfully players and hear things about them and money they won in tournaments and so on. Things to make them feel "Damn, I want to learn to play pro poker".
  • 5 replies
    • aceonetheriver
      aceonetheriver
      Bronze
      I think you make more money if they don't learn poker ;)
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      Originally posted by aceonetheriver
      I think you make more money if they don't learn poker ;)
      Ehm, you think it's better to have less people playing or what -.-

I have about 400 invited ppl and about 40 of them got the $50. If the other 360 would have been motivated to read about the strategies im sure they whould have done the quiz to get the money and started to play.

Then both me and PokerStrategy probebly would get more money...
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Hi darkprice,

Thanks for posting your thoughts, I think this is a good idea but not sure whether there is anything planned at the moment.
      As you have probably seen, PokerStrategy did release a video/media material recently that helped to show people what PokerStrategy does and how it can help, but yes maybe some more live cases would perhaps help.

On a side issue, I think your current TAF take up figures are really good and are in line with the vast majority of peoples %.
      It is always difficult to get everyone interested at any one time, poker might not appeal to some or maybe they don't have time to sign up at the moment, but might consider in future.

Keep persisting, seems like your doing great and thanks for your efforts, it's really appreciated.

Best regards,

Bart
    • darkprice
      darkprice
      Bronze
      Dont have time to sign up? I have 400 that did sign up and validate but only 40 making the quiz. I think that 10% is a low % when they probebly are in to poker in one or another way because they did sign up. But 90% didn't feel like reading all that text and probebly wont come back if they dont get motivated to learn more somewhere else and remember about this site.
    • EagleStar88
      EagleStar88
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darkprice
      Dont have time to sign up? I have 400 that did sign up and validate but only 40 making the quiz. I think that 10% is a low % when they probebly are in to poker in one or another way because they did sign up. But 90% didn't feel like reading all that text and probebly wont come back if they dont get motivated to learn more somewhere else and remember about this site.
      Well it depends on exactly who you contact of course.

If you were to just mail drop everyone on a social network for example, only a small proportion would probably be interested in poker.

Even where you target poker playing friends, some may already be happy with their existing poker platforms and not feel ready to take on another platform. Some may be busy at work/college or have other "real life" issues going on at the moment.

Some may feel that they are "above" the learning process (rightly or wrongly) and so might not sign up for that reason.

A few may actually be excluded for geographical reasons and yet more may fail to pass the quiz or be refused for other reasons.

As with any advertising campaign, you will never be able to convince everyone, all of the time, but with careful targeting of open minded poker loving friends, you can achieve good results.
      I still personally think that 10% is a very good achievement and in line with that achieved by most members.

Keep up the good work & good luck ;)

Bart