This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Open Raising Range

• Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm pretty new to MTT's but I have had some success due to what I believe to be an ocean of fish. I think that I am still very much a noob at MTT's but by just playing good hands I seem to almost always go deep and cash in more than half the tournaments I enter. However, I have never won an MTT and I have only final tabled on a couple of occasions.

I played in a tournament today for over 5 hours and busted out in 85th place. I felt really terrible about the hand that I busted out on. It made me feel so confused whether I made the right play or not. I had about 20bb, the big blind had me covered, but by not that much, maybe 25-30bb's. Unfortunately I neglected to record the hand. But it went something like this; I open raised 3x the bb from the button with 87 of diamonds. The flop came T84, with two hearts. The big blind checked to me and I raised about half the pot. The big blind min-raises me. I figured if I am going to call I should shove so that's what I did. The big blind showed T5 of spades.

I felt terrible after this hand because I had no idea what I should have done right from the start. I was playing super tight so when I raised from the button I thought I would get more respect than what I got. Although I now think that most players may not even notice,... Was 87suited a reasonable open raise? On such a board I found that contibets are often raised,... should I have folded to a raise HU with middle pair? Should I have checked behind with a two-flush on the board (I would be surprised if I was supposed to check behind)?
  • 3 replies
    • wquinn636
      wquinn636
      Bronze
      It's easy to say in hindsight that you should have raised tighter. If someone's calling with air and shoving over the top with a weak top pair you'll get much better chances to take their money (or in this case, tourney chips) than with 87s. It's all about the reads.
    • spit22
      spit22
      Bronze
      ok since you are expecting a raise on such a board , you are better of checking behind except if u don't mind going broke on your middle pair weak kicker hand.
      btw , no read = fold. you stand more chance surviving like this. if you do the same play against uknown everytime you will hardly get any final tables.

just my opinion.

edit: the raise preflop was fine..
    • Jeero
      Jeero
      Bronze
      Thanks for the replies! I think I was upset because it cost me the tournament. As I said, I'm not used to tournaments. If this were a cash game I'd simply just rebuy and keep playing.

No read = fold. It's easy for me to forget this underlying concept a lot of the time. If villain raised he either has me beat or is bluffing or is playing really poorly with the few hands that I am ahead of. With no read I should be folding regardless,... because I should be assuming that villain bluffs or has a worse hand a very negligible amount of time. Is this correct reasoning? I kept thinking that I would be in such weak shape, chip wise, if I fold. But in a tournament being wrong means busting

I thought about checking behind after the fact,... I do agree that it might be a better play. However, I had it in my head that whenever I have to decide between checking and betting, I always go on the side of aggression. This has served me well in cash games, but perhaps I should err more on the side of conservativeness in a tournament?

Although I lost, this is good experience and I'm now a better poker player because of it. Thanks again for the discussion!